Graduate pay (1 Viewer)

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
Hey dudes,

does anyone know how much a grad. auditor gets at a Big 4 firm in this current economic climate?

cheerio :)

BeeCom

HSC
http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/rde/xbcr/SID-3F57FEDF-D5228096/cpa/moneytalkstable.pdf

At the bottom, Professional Practice, although it's a bit old (2006).

I was more curious in finding the graduate salaries across the big4 as opposed to the different service lines/levels.

EDIT: I can't find it, but I have seen a document that put Managers and above salaries a lot higher than the above link, and also mentions that each level (Managers and above) get a bonus as well.

I think Partner's were on something lik 350k-550k + bonus in that document. Pity I can't find it

Last edited:
HSC
DexJnr said:
Hey dudes,

does anyone know how much a grad. auditor gets at a Big 4 firm in this current economic climate?

cheerio :)
from what ive heard its close to 50

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
Next years grad pays are like ~50k for mid tiers and 53-55k for big4 grads.

quite ridiculous for the inflation if you ask me, last years grads were like ~44k

billbro

HSC
N/A
bukwow said:
Next years grad pays are like ~50k for mid tiers and 53-55k for big4 grads.

quite ridiculous for the inflation if you ask me, last years grads were like ~44k
Shouldn't mid-tier pay be higher than the Big 4? The Big 4 offer a structured career progression and more importantly in-house development programs. To compete with this I thought the mid-tiers offered slightly higher starting salaries.

HSC
^from what ive heard big 4 pay higher than most mid tiers grad salary. @bukwow- which big 4 is paying 53-55? ive heard ey is paying about 49-50k from memory for 09ers including super

Huy

HSC
N/A
Big 4 make more money. More to go around.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
billbro said:
Shouldn't mid-tier pay be higher than the Big 4? The Big 4 offer a structured career progression and more importantly in-house development programs. To compete with this I thought the mid-tiers offered slightly higher starting salaries.
Mid tiers don't 'compete' with big 4. They will ding you immediately if they know or suspect you already have a big 4 offer unless you're super convincing that God placed you on this Earth to work for their firm.

billbro

HSC
N/A
Hmm that's interesting, I read a few posts either from here on Whirlpool that seemed to indicate that the mid-tiers pay slightly better initially. My friends also told me the same thing, of course they aren't sources with the uttermost reliability. However, one of them works as an intern for PKF and apparently the current pay and the grad pay is meant to be a bit higher.

If the mid-tiers don't pay even marginally better, then what is the point of going for firms like BDO, PKF, Grant Thorton, etc?

*Also, making more money doesn't necessarily equate to more money to go around when you are a lowly grad. It just means more money to go around when you are a partner and part of the profit sharing.

Last edited:
HSC
billbro said:
Hmm that's interesting, I read a few posts either from here on Whirlpool that seemed to indicate that the mid-tiers pay slightly better initially. My friends also told me the same thing, of course they aren't sources with the uttermost reliability. However, one of them works as an intern for PFK and apparently the current pay and the grad pay is meant to be a bit higher.

If the mid-tiers don't pay even marginally better, then what is the point of going for firms like BDO, PFK, Grant Thorton, etc?

*Also, making more money doesn't necessarily equate to more money to go around when you are a lowly grad. It just means more money to go around when you are a partner and part of the profit sharing.
its pkf not pfk.

What is the point- well the reason for many that they'd go for mid tier is because a) they didn't make a big 4 firm, and for others prefer to work for a smaller comp and for many of them money isn't an issue. I can't say with certainty for all mid tier firms but the people who i know are starting soon at them are getting paid less than a big 4 grad would however opted for it for the latter reason.

I think some cadets potentially get paid more at mid tiers but i think that evens out for grads and grads get paid slightly higher at the big 4's at least in the current market however am happy to hear someone who is working in a mid tier to post approx startings at their respective firms.

billbro

HSC
N/A
ifsonotso_100 said:
its pkf not pfk.

What is the point- well the reason for many that they'd go for mid tier is because a) they didn't make a big 4 firm, and for others prefer to work for a smaller comp and for many of them money isn't an issue. I can't say with certainty for all mid tier firms but the people who i know are starting soon at them are getting paid less than a big 4 grad would however opted for it for the latter reason.

I think some cadets potentially get paid more at mid tiers but i think that evens out for grads and grads get paid slightly higher at the big 4's at least in the current market however am happy to hear someone who is working in a mid tier to post approx startings at their respective firms.
Woops, didn't noticed that I mixed the letters around - at least you know who I meant xD

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
A friend of mine who accepted a grad audit position for 2009 at ey will be getting 49k including super

iamabanana

HSC
I talked to a guy at pwc on conquest day who had been working for a year and a half, so a grad starting in 2007. He said on his contract it was 45k but then was boosted to 50k before he even started. Since then he has had 2 raises of 5k each and one little promotion.

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
^from what ive heard big 4 pay higher than most mid tiers grad salary. @bukwow- which big 4 is paying 53-55? ive heard ey is paying about 49-50k from memory for 09ers including super
Deloitte i'd say, but then again it really depends on the division since some divisions starting pay is higher than others.

Some people choose mid-tiers over big4's because they'd prefer the more laid back lifestyle. although you would want to get paid ~3-4k more by working in a big4 could be alot longer hours compared to mid tiers where you can just work in a normal 9-5pm day.

From what i know there could be a few mid-tier firms who are paying more than the big4. For pkf yeah i know that next years grads are getting paid more than the grads are currently getting paid for now which i find pretty dumb since grads starting work fresh off doesn't really have any experience.

out of all the mid tier firms i know that Moore Stephens city is the firm that pays their cadets quite a bit, but then again, they work pretty crazy hours

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
bukwow said:
out of all the mid tier firms i know that Moore Stephens city is the firm that pays their cadets quite a bit, but then again, they work pretty crazy hours
haha i heard that too lol.

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
ifsonotso_100 said:

Dayam, wonder what the grad pay will be like in 2010. Prolly 52-53k then eh?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
On the brighter side you can look forward to at least 10% salary growth, consistently.

If you average out over say a Director's or Partner's career its closer to about 15% growth p.a.

Corporate world will always pay about 20-50% higher at every grade but not guarantee future pay rises will be consistent.

That's the eternal trade-off of the big4...

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Big 4s should be high 40's, low 50s I think. With the mid tiers generally offering more.

You'll be stuck in about a 25k increase over the next 3 years (senior) and then another 25k for the 2/3 years after that (till you reach manager). This is the general case in a big 4.

Hey Huy - whats been happening mate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)