Graduate Positions 2011 (1 Viewer)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Your client won't ask you anything unless you're very senior in my experience.

But way to miss the point in any case.
Don't use the words 'you' and 'your' like that. Very miselading.

My client would probably ask me that, but you probably wouldn't have gathered that from your experience.

rx34

HSC
Guys, after reading this thread on whirlpool, it seems there is no future for future law grads unless you do honours. What do you guys think?

Personally, I'm aiming for a 75-80 WAM but I'm scared i'll crumble under the pressure.
I'm also going to enroll in speed-reading courses and learn German.

BOSnewbie

HSC
I've seen both sides of the coin (law and banking) and I largely agree with most of what has been said already - law can be a vague 'talkfest', banking is more competitive.

And DKF can totally chill - you seem to have a strong CV, extracurricular experience and good marks, so flamearrows was spot on.

Last edited:

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Guys, after reading this thread on whirlpool, it seems there is no future for future law grads unless you do honours. What do you guys think?

Personally, I'm aiming for a 75-80 WAM but I'm scared i'll crumble under the pressure.
I'm also going to enroll in speed-reading courses and learn German.
I've read some of that thread. I think some of it is correct - if your marks aren't in the top 30% (the lowest honours cut-off) then you'll struggle to get through the door at "big law".

Plenty of other opportunities though, at firms less picky about law graduate marks (Big 4 accounting for instance) or at smaller law firms.

rx34

HSC
I've read some of that thread. I think some of it is correct - if your marks aren't in the top 30% (the lowest honours cut-off) then you'll struggle to get through the door at "big law".

Plenty of other opportunities though, at firms less picky about law graduate marks (Big 4 accounting for instance) or at smaller law firms.
Sweet. Thanks for your help. If you don't mind me asking, on average, how many hours do you study on a weekday and the weekend? (I need some sort of guideline to get top 30%). Oh and I will be living on-campus in a rather ''calm'' college (International House), so hopefully studying would be easier.

I plan to work in property/conveyancing areas when I graduate.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Sweet. Thanks for your help. If you don't mind me asking, on average, how many hours do you study on a weekday and the weekend? (I need some sort of guideline to get top 30%). Oh and I will be living on-campus in a rather ''calm'' college (International House), so hopefully studying would be easier.

I plan to work in property/conveyancing areas when I graduate.
You don't even need a law degree to do conveyancing (true story!). Different story if you want to work in, say, commercial property.

I dunno, I don't do an enormous amount of work during semester. Say 7 or 8 hours a week per subject? Inclusive of class time.

During the lead-up to exams, however, I pull banking hours in order to get all my summaries written.

avant

HSC
i don't know how other unis do it, but at unimelb the cutoff for honours is around a high H3 (high 60s) average throughout your degree. I managed to squeak in. Usually if you have a 70 or better you have some realistic chance at a top tier firm - however it will depend on which subjects you do well in and which electives you do well in. comps like mooting also help if you've done well in them.

if you have a great set of previous year's/previous semester's notes, that will be 50% of your work done for you right there. the rest of it is just showing up to class and doing some hypotheticals.

sad to say, "knowing the law" in extreme depth is almost never needed - you just need to know the important cases, be able to compare facts, and not miss any areas of law/make similar screwups. this is why going to class is very important, because you get that practice. this is why reading every bit of the reading materials is not important (from a pure marks perspective). i always read the 'important' cases out of the casebook but relied on notes for the peripheral stuff.

i know plenty of people who have gotten scores in the 75-80 range without doing a single bit of case reading in a semester. not advised, but the moral is study smart.

avant

HSC
does anyone know if any VIC grad positions are closing any time soon? cause i can't find any firms that are currently open for market offers

rx34

HSC
i don't know how other unis do it, but at unimelb the cutoff for honours is around a high H3 (high 60s) average throughout your degree. I managed to squeak in. Usually if you have a 70 or better you have some realistic chance at a top tier firm - however it will depend on which subjects you do well in and which electives you do well in. comps like mooting also help if you've done well in them.

if you have a great set of previous year's/previous semester's notes, that will be 50% of your work done for you right there. the rest of it is just showing up to class and doing some hypotheticals.

sad to say, "knowing the law" in extreme depth is almost never needed - you just need to know the important cases, be able to compare facts, and not miss any areas of law/make similar screwups. this is why going to class is very important, because you get that practice. this is why reading every bit of the reading materials is not important (from a pure marks perspective). i always read the 'important' cases out of the casebook but relied on notes for the peripheral stuff.

i know plenty of people who have gotten scores in the 75-80 range without doing a single bit of case reading in a semester. not advised, but the moral is study smart.
Thanks flamearrows and avant for your advice. Guess I have to pay/get other people's law notes. Although I must say, I much prefer making my own notes (even though it might not be the best) because I learn better. Best of luck for grad jobs :)

bored at work

HSC
does anyone know if any VIC grad positions are closing any time soon? cause i can't find any firms that are currently open for market offers
Most of the law firms had a deadline of around mid jan, but some of the smaller firms may still be recruiting now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)