• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Graduate Recruitment 2007 (1 Viewer)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I take it a fair few people may have applied. Have you managed to score interviews/etc?

I had a phone interview with Horwaths with I was too nervous about. Stuffed it up I am sure. Don't think I'll be hearing back from them. For anyone that may be interested to know, they ask you where you found out about Horwaths, why do you want to work for us, based on your research (major screw up for me) and also what field would you like to see yourself working in.

I did get a call shortly after that from Ferrier Hodgson. They basically invited me to an interview. :) No questions were asked.

Has anyone heard from the Big 4, or other firms? I just want to be able to prepare myself if they do call.

Good luck to all. :)

edit: http://brw.com.au/pdf/20050728_70c.pdf might be of interest.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I applied to some graduate programs. I've done one psychometric test and have 2 more to do. I hate those things >.<

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry... some people get called later than others- it's not necessarily indicative of your suitability as a candidate (unless you don't get called at all). And besides, if you don't get into a specific firm, it doesn't mean you aren't a good candidate, but probably because they feel you may be suited to another firm's culture.

Good luck in your remaining interviews :)
I remember screwing up my very first person-to-person interview at a mid-tier firm.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
My last face to face interview was when I applied for cadetships, at the end of 2003. I handled them fine.

Its just the phone interview which was highly screwed. The person intimidated me, whether she wanted to or not, I don't know.

Thanks for the kind words, seremify. :)

RIZAL

HSC
redruM said:
My last face to face interview was when I applied for cadetships, at the end of 2003. I handled them fine.

Its just the phone interview which was highly screwed. The person intimidated me, whether she wanted to or not, I don't know.

Thanks for the kind words, seremify. :)

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
RIZAL said:
.....how do you get intimidated by a female HR person???

the only female that could intimidate me would be Angelina Jolie!
LOL. I don't know...I never get nervous. I just cannot explain it.

The next phone call was much more normal. Didn't have a problem at all. Its good to get it out of the system.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
deloitte gave calls today as well o_o on a saturday .. haha

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
In that sense, you shouldn't need to do a degree. I am sure with finance you are refering to investments. Though, there is a reason why IB's get a shitload working for a major firm. But, those people are very very intelligent and incredibly hard working.

CanuckGirlsRock

HSC
N/A
I'm also in my third year of my BComm with a major in accounting. :)

I've been researching into doing an MBA in Australia (I'm from Canada) but your system confused the heck out of me!

pikachufkr

HSC
N/A
CanuckGirlsRock said:
I'm also in my third year of my BComm with a major in accounting. :)

I've been researching into doing an MBA in Australia (I'm from Canada) but your system confused the heck out of me!
why would you do an MBA in Australia when you have Schulich in your home turf, not to mention all of the American Business schools around the corner?

you are going to have employers back home asking 'what's an agsm?'

ishq

brown?
HSC
pikachufkr said:
why would you do an MBA in Australia when you have Schulich in your home turf, not to mention all of the American Business schools around the corner?

you are going to have employers back home asking 'what's an agsm?'
isnt it easier to get in here (because the competition for the good schools is pretty high, locally and internationally) - and cheaper when compared to paying "full fee" amounts in the US and Canada?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Hey guys,

I was just wondering how you would answer a question like, "Why would you want to work for Bird Moore Price Chartered Accountants* firm?"....if you can't really get anything strong to say from looking at their website. So something generic, but not being generic? :confused:

*- My creation.

turtleface

HSC
ok assuming non Big Four

um...i guess you should mention training opportunities, international opportunities like if the firm is part of an international network e.g PKF, grant thornton, pitcher partners (baker tilly), opportunities for careers development etc.

maybe make up some bs like our uni careers advisor said that career development is really good at xxxxx... this shows you want to achieve highly as well

Its always good to google the firm and check for references besides the website

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Cool thanks for that turtleface.

(It is for PKF, which I have the interview for tomorrow. I just can't really be fucked doing anything hard at the moment because the Deloitte group assessment took a bit out of me :eek:. Curse the 2 hours spent on trains. They called me a couple of hours later for the partner interview, which I'm ecstatic about!)

I like the careers advisor point ;)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
RIZAL said:
.....how do you get intimidated by a female HR person???

the only female that could intimidate me would be Angelina Jolie!
It's very possible. Although most interviewers try to make it as unintimidating as possible with ice breakers and their manner.

Btw I know this tip might seem a bit obvious but it might be a good idea to learn where the places you are being interviewed are so you won't get lost/be late on the interview day. I always used BRW and websites to also find out about the firm to gain a bit of background knowledge as well.

roadcone

HSC
redruM said:
Cool thanks for that turtleface.

(It is for PKF, which I have the interview for tomorrow. I just can't really be fucked doing anything hard at the moment because the Deloitte group assessment took a bit out of me :eek:. Curse the 2 hours spent on trains. They called me a couple of hours later for the partner interview, which I'm ecstatic about!)

I like the careers advisor point ;)
who are you being interviewed by?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)