Graduate Salary (1 Viewer)

davio89

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
I have a quick, albeit quite stupid question. I have been reading threads, and in alot of them they claim that UNSW business graduates get higher pay than other uni graduates. This seems to me so stupid. Why would going to one uni over others automatically increase your salary? I understand if you have honors etc that would, but say just a normal graduate. I think they are claiming that to increase their own ego and self pride. But is there any truth to their statements?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,
I have a quick, albeit quite stupid question. I have been reading threads, and in alot of them they claim that UNSW business graduates get higher pay than other uni graduates. This seems to me so stupid. Why would going to one uni over others automatically increase your salary? I understand if you have honors etc that would, but say just a normal graduate. I think they are claiming that to increase their own ego and self pride. But is there any truth to their statements?
Industry networks and what not. UNSW does a lot for students to help them find jobs and help on resume stuff. It's the same reason why Ivy league students can pretty much instantly find a job in the US. I don't think UNSW students care that much that it inflates our "ego"

Are you looking at the MBA pay scale of 130k a year? If it's that then well... That's for the MBA program and it is one of the best MBA programs in the world.

davio89

HSC
N/A
I'm not really sure what MBA is haha, i plan on doing accounting and CA...but with all uni's they tend to help their students find jobs, all that aside, do employers look at one resume from say UTS, and one from UNSW and say lets give this one more, cause I can't really see that happening, there may be a bit of unintentional bias though

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The stats on graduate salaries are usually self reported by the graduates, might be a bit of "rounding" involved.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Graduate salary and salary of a graduate who has then done a MBA is completely different.

Statistically, it's really hard to say why UNSW's happens to be higher.
Maybe UNSW kids only apply for big 4 accounting, where a UWS graduate might be happy to work anywhere? that would account for a difference in pay.

They don't explain those sort of differences openly. (Just like the employment rates; It often means a job ANYWHERE as opposed to the relevant field)

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I'm not really sure what MBA is haha, i plan on doing accounting and CA...but with all uni's they tend to help their students find jobs, all that aside, do employers look at one resume from say UTS, and one from UNSW and say lets give this one more, cause I can't really see that happening, there may be a bit of unintentional bias though
Yes employers would prefer people from certain uni's over another. But that's if their marks are similar enough. Yes all uni's do help their students, but some uni's do a lot more and have better industry links. Welcome to lyfe. Oh and going to a more "internationally recognized university" helps quite a bit when working for big firms who don't really have time to sift through resumes. If email in a resume, it's almost always a computer going to be approving or rejecting one.

BabBab007

HSC
I'm not sure what you're referring to here but from my experience with working in corporate firms/Apple/etc the bias doesn't perpetuate because one person is from UNSW/USYD in comparison to being from UTS/etc. Most employers are more open-minded now and take into account work experience. The bias you're suggesting probably exists with employers who hold a narrow-minded view of graduates and tend to swing towards UNSW/USYD because they are also graduates from these uni's.

You also need to take into account that:
There isn't an equal amount of people trying out for the same graduate entry job, because it's contingent on the person not just their degree most of the time. (I.e. you might have 40 UNSW students trying out for one job, 35 from USYD, 35 from UTS etc - as an example).

But otherwise you need to make sure that you have decent grades/work experience.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
but some uni's do a lot more and have better industry links.
With compulsory internships for engineering and IT, the coop BIT and B Acc programs and the recently introduced (optional I believe) internship subjects for B Business students I think you will find that industry links and help with applying for jobs, writing resumes etc. is one of UTS' strengths.

But yes, employers often do have a bias towards a particular uni. It's not neccesarily a problem as all employers aren't going to have their bias for the same university.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Where would the bias begin though?

I'm thinking the graduate salary would not differ on an individual basis (e.g. UTS graduate and UNSW graduate getting paid different amounts for the same work at the same firm) but rather UNSW graduates would be more likely to obtain a higher paying position. In that sense, the bias is not as direct as you think OP.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Correlation does not imply causation

aaron_syd

HSC
Who cares about the causation if all you want is in on the correlation.
Perhaps statistically the avg unsw grad gets higher paid jobs vs the avg of other uni grads (which I don't think is necessarily true) , but this doesn't mean that the reason they got higher paying jobs was solely because they came from unsw, and even then, I would think any differences in avg grad salary are quite minimal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)