graduation based on wam or gpa? (1 Viewer)

cheenogirl

HSC
just wondering... when we graduate from uts, do we graduate based on our wam grade or our gpa grade? because right now my wam grade is looking much more attractive than my gpa grade..

thanks

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Don't you graduate when you have passed all your requisite courses? I don't think that either WAM or GPA has a direct bearing.

cheenogirl

HSC
no what i mean is that when we graduate (e.g. IT faculty), we will graduate in groups, first hd students, then d, c and then pass students.

i am wondering what determines the group we are in? is it based on our wam or gpa?

sorry for not making it clear

Logistics

HSC
Surely you have basic maths skills to work out your average mark and find out if you are a P/C/D/HD student.

I am not sure about IT but the engineering faculty has 1st class and 2nd class honours. This is based on the WAM. A WAM of 67 will get you 2nd class honours and a WAM of 75 (I think) will get you 1st class honour.

Also as far as I know UTS doesn't do scalling and all subjects counts the same unlike some other universities where the last year subjects have a bigger impact compared to your 1st year subjects

cheenogirl

HSC
cool thanks!

btw, i know how to calculate wam/gpa (im not that stupid), but just wondering.. if i changed my major during my degree (e.g. from marketing to finance) and i already did 2 marketing subjects, would those 2 marketing subjects be included in my wam or gpa?

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
I always assumed that at the graduation cermonies that it went in this order

PhD (Doctorate)
Masters
Graduate Diploma
Bachelors (with Honours)
Bachelors

All the degrees with honours attatched would go before the standard degree and the same with the various classes of honours, etc

angel18

HSC
N/A
just out of curiosity, is WAM calculated for all sub offered at UTS i.e. (SCI) or is it exclusively for IT students?

the reason i ask this is b/coz i've never heard of or read about WAM until stumbling across this thread :confused:

thnx in advance :)

purplemonkey

HSC
Another question, how does one graduate 'with distinction'? Do you have to get a distinction average through the entire degree or is it last year specific? Can't find anything on the UTS website but I'm probably looking in the wrong spot :eek:

Takuto

HSC
Another question, how does one graduate 'with distinction'? Do you have to get a distinction average through the entire degree or is it last year specific? Can't find anything on the UTS website but I'm probably looking in the wrong spot :eek:
To graduate 'with distinction', you need a distinction average throughout the entire degree - that is, a WAM of 75 or higher across all subjects. UTS hasn't provided much information about this anywhere actually, which is kind of strange.

angel18: WAMs are calculated for all courses at UTS and are not exclusive to IT or even UTS for that matter.

purplemonkey

HSC
To graduate 'with distinction', you need a distinction average throughout the entire degree - that is, a WAM of 75 or higher across all subjects. UTS hasn't provided much information about this anywhere actually, which is kind of strange.
So if this year I got 4 Ds, 2 Cs and 2 Ps I've got no chance of graduating with distinction unless I get all HDs in 2nd and 3rd year?

Takuto

HSC
lol definitely not

WAM is not like GPA in that it is based on marks, not just the grades themselves. If you are closer to the next grade your WAM will be brought up and thus you have more leniency (a 80 distinction for example will counteract a 70 credit still averaging distinction i.e you don't need two distinctions).

All HDs would be overkill; you probably would end up with a HD on your degree if you were able to achieve that (remember that you will rarely be getting spot on the mark (pass won't be exactly 50, credit wont be exactly 65 etc.)

Depending on how much 'extra' marks you got (i.e those over the minimum for a grade) the lower the marks in your 2nd and 3rd years required to maintain a distinction average.

purplemonkey

HSC
Ok, thanks :p

So to find out your WAM do you find out the average of all your marks? Because if I do that I'm sitting on 73.25

If I have a WAM of 75+ by the end of my 3rd year I will graduate with distinction?

God I hope so! Sorry for all the questions, I am no good at this uni admin/graduation requirement stuff :D

Takuto

HSC
yep, pretty much

I believe WAM at UTS is just a primitive sum of all marks over the amount of subjects. I think some other unis put less weighting on the first year and bigger weightings on later years however I don't think UTS uses this system in particular. well then, I don't really know why its called a 'weighted' average mark at UTS, am I missing something? either way you won't really be affected if you were going to try harder in future years!

If the WAM you gave is correct (73.25), you're very close to a distinction average and only need to improve by 28 marks over 8 subjects next year - shouldn't be hard.

well, good luck!

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
no what i mean is that when we graduate (e.g. IT faculty), we will graduate in groups, first hd students, then d, c and then pass students.

i am wondering what determines the group we are in? is it based on our wam or gpa?

sorry for not making it clear
haha. serious? i've never heard that before but that's awful that they do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)