Grand Father, Father, Son (1 Viewer)

Glenn198718

hey everyone

do you know any information about this because i am trying to look for some and cant find them. If you could help me out that would be good

Thanks

fatmuscle

HSC
Grandfather-Father-Son Backup
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Grandfather-Father-Son Backup refers to the most common rotation scheme for rotating backup media. Originally designed for tape back up, it works well for any hierarchical backup strategy. The basic method is to define three sets of backups, such as daily, weekly and monthly. The daily or Son backups are rotated on a daily basis with one graduating to Father status each week. The weekly or Father backups are rotated on a weekly basis with one graduating to Grandfather status each month. Often one or more of the graduated backups is removed from the site for safekeeping and disaster recovery purposes.

Glenn198718

ok thanks heaps.

See how the son goes to a father and the father goes to a grand father what actually happens to the Grandfather can it become either a father or a son or something else

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The Grandfather tapes are erased and reused as Son tapes, IIRC.

I_F

Glenn198718

i dont do IPT i only do I.T and it was in our exam and we never got taught it so when it came up i was like everytime i tape runs out you have to use a new one.

I hate our I.T teacher

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
in short, there are three copies of backups.. it's easier if u use examples.

say, monday, wednesday and friday.
so that means on monday night, they make a backp up everything.. then on wednesday night.. they do the same.. and on friday they do it again.. the monday backup is called the grandfather, the wednesday the father, and friday the son.. but then, next monday comes by.. and they don't want to keep backups of everything because it'll cost alot of money yeh?.. so they take the oldest backup (last monday's "grandfather") and write over it.. because that one is now the newest one, it's called the "son"... and the previous "father" and "son" are moved up to "grandfather" and "father" respectively. This cycle just keeps going on and on and on...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)