Grand narratives help (1 Viewer)

fancyyyyyy <3

HSC
The term grand narratives have come up a lot during this year yet im still confused as to what it actually is. The definition that my english teacher has given is really vague and all i know is that it is all encompassing and seeks truth about human existence. But can someone please elaborate on the definition in simple terms as to what it actually means?

beetree1

HSC
I believe you are referring to metanarrative/ metafiction?

It is a stylistic feature authors use in some of the HSC prescribed texts. It is used to experiment with or explore an idea of storytelling.
An example of it can be when an author is writing a story about writing a story (eg Nam Le's Love and Honour - a Mod C text I studied for HSC). In a sense, it "seeks truth about the human existence" as it kind of examines the thought process and essentially the identity of the narrator or other characters through their actions and perhaps their connection to cultures if that makes sense? I am bad at explaining things, but perhaps googling metafiction would help more with what you are looking for

Unknown Scholar

HSC
Grand narratives refer to ideas, stories or concepts that dominate a particular era or time. Something like how the victors who write history often have their stories heard more than the losers of a war. The victor's version of events can be considered a grand narrative. I'm not sure what texts you are studying, but a grand narrative could be the American Dream (in relation to the Great Gatsby).

Hopefully that helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)