graphic calculators (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
JUST WONDERING if many ppl in gen use one and how many dont. our whole (gen) year doesnt, and its annoying cos im a culprit of SILLY mistakes yet the teacher says "you better be careful, cos remember ur competiting with ppl who have a g.calc"
i mean, its not that i think its unfair, its just that everyone should have one and the board should make sure everyone has the same calc etc.

and if u do have one, is it really better and should i learn to use one in the time i have left??

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
they may get things done quicker but the problem is that it gives the answer straight away.. some students with the calculators get complacent and just write the answer, whereas 2-3 marks may be allocated for working out. the exam is made so that it is fair to everyone and there were many people from my school who got band 6 in general and we never used a graphics calculator.

-Swifty-

B.Sc B.A usyd
HSC
just use calculus lah =p, ive tried using those graphics calculators,,, i dun even know how to do 3+3 on them!!!!! iekk!

pig_93

HSC
-Swifty- said:
just use calculus lah =p, ive tried using those graphics calculators,,, i dun even know how to do 3+3 on them!!!!! iekk!

i totally agree.. i tried to use it
and failed miserably

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
no one in our class uses them
our teacher has one
and its sooooo confusing to use

sally_33

HSC
i know four people who have got in the top 20 in the state in the last couple of years and im pretty sure none of them had one..

PC

HSC
N/A
Well ... I'm a teacher.

Originally I didn't like the graphics calculators. The first one I got was a Casio FX7400 and it was really poor. But the newer Casio FX9850 (which is the standard now) is sooo much better. I won't use anything else now.

Other teachers in my school get the students to start using them in Year 12, but I get my General students to start using them from day 1 in Year 11, so they get used to using them. I also spend a lot of time making sure students know all the features.

Some of my guys take both types into exam, but I am fairly certain that the GC can save time and get more marks for you.

Someone mentioned above how the GC spits out an answer and marks are allocated for working. That's true. The GC users should still show all working.

The big strength of the GC is the TVM mode. It really makes annuities soooo easy!

But just to make everyone feel better ... the first few HSC papers were a bit unfair in that using a GC gave a fair advantage, but when I worked through the 2004 paper I only found one question where I could use the GC rather than a normal calculator. So the board of studies is starting to get it right!

PC

HSC
N/A
That's entirely possible ... and well done.

However for many weak students the GC is a really good learning tool, but I would encourage their use where possible.

-Swifty-

B.Sc B.A usyd
HSC
what do u need them for neway?

Why would they want u to draw a graph the calculator does? PLus i didnt think they did polynomials in general

freakcore

HSC
Well everyone in my year doing general has one...but we are taught to use both cos they are more difficult to use than the old ones for some things. But most of the time they are really great especially as (if you know how to use it) it can shorten the amount of time you have to spend on most questions.
But hey some people cant use them and cant stand them. jus depends i spose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)