Graphic Design @ Uni (1 Viewer)

jaydot

HSC
So what courses offere graphic design as a good career output from particular uni courses. I've found 3 so far;

B Design in Vis Com @ UTS
B Vis Com @ UWS
B Design @ UNSW COFA (not really GFX design, but certain aspects are)

Any others?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Probably better off hitting Billy Blue for their B Graphic Design

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
honestly, dont go to uni for graphic design as you'll be dissapointed; we do a fair amount of theory & written works compare to prac work.

jaydot

HSC
I'm prodominantly looking at VIS COM as its the most concrete and specific course available (that i know of, are there any others?); private colleges = $$$$$$$$$$$$$

When i mean concrete and specific, i refer to it being geared towards graphic design, whilst the b design @ UNSW is very broad.

---

I've been told it's relatively interesting, so i suppose different kids have different views.

But any other UNI courses?
KVB? do you apply via uac for them??

---

Career prospects, will i be earning a substantial amount of income to keep me and the wife happy at the end of the day and into my late years before retirement? If not, where do i go?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Most colleges have a borrowing system similar to the HECS system now as well, up to $50,000 i think, so if thats an issue investigate that.

Career prospects: Depends on how good you are. Seriously, do as much as you can to get published (like journalism and other media, its a very output-centric field, you need to show people a) designs/innovations b) you can perform)

frazzle

HSC
Don't forget Digital Media @ COFA. While it's a course with lots of multimedia and 3d animation, you can tailor it to suit your interestsm and I think it's more relevant to graphic design than B Design at COFA, which is a much broader, conceptual course.

I think Visual Communication would be the best course for you if you're sure that you want to do Graphic Design.

I have a very favourable opinion of KVB and Billy Blue, however, in my course (Design @ COFA), a large number of people have completed a diploma in graphic design at a college or TAFE, but still feels that they need to do another course.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Usually the TAFE course will equip you with the practical experience, and employers are looking for a more 'generic' theory based degree to complement it (same as the MQ B Media in Multimedia, with about 10-15 people coming from TAFE/College backgrounds and already working professionally/freelancing)

frazzle

HSC
I think it's a bit unnecessary to do two courses in an area as subjective as design, where the piece of paper you graduate with isn't nearly as important as your portfolio and actual work experience. So I don't understand it when people finish a degree and immediately start another one without even trying to experience the industry.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Usually because there is a multitude of graphic designers and what people want are all round theory-practical multimedia producers rather than desktop/print/digital media specific.

Most of the people I've talked to have had 1-2 years in the industry and have been told to get further documentation.

jaydot

HSC
Isn't Digital Media more to deal with multimedia (animation,video,motion;etc)?
I don't want to do that (if it is that)

I'm stuck onto graphic design, photography, typography, posters, magazine designs (covers and graphics in the magazine itself) etc etc etc!

And i don't think digital media is like that?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You can't 'choose' to just do one or another, you'll never get hired.

If you want to be a graphic designer, you need to know at the very least, photoshop/illustrator, flash, and some web design.

HSC
Martin college is a good one, my cousin went there and he now has a job at one of the largest digital designing and marketing companies in the world...he says martin college trained him in what to expect for work, hard core one year but all worth it in the end...maybe you should give that a try

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
jaydot said:
So what courses offere graphic design as a good career output from particular uni courses. I've found 3 so far;

B Design in Vis Com @ UTS
B Vis Com @ UWS
B Design @ UNSW COFA (not really GFX design, but certain aspects are)

Any others?
BA Visual Communications at Newcastle.
Billy Blue too, but that's a PRIVATE college, and really expensive, though you'll probably land a job easier. Um as people have said.. KVB and TAFE too, oh and the University of Tassie also offers it :p

Charles Stuart offers B Arts Graphic Design. Need portfolio!

Canberra University offers a B Graphic Design also
La Trobe Visual Arts (Graphic Design) - interview +portfolio

I think thats all I found in my UAC guide...
There's also a fabulous course at RMIT in Melbourne.

Ciaox.

hellomike

HSC
If you are serious about studying Design than lock down institutions that you would want to study at and stick with it. Everyone mentions here different places where they offer Design but how many of them actually offer a Design programme tailored to give you a solid foundation of knowledge in terms of design, layout, colour and typography? And I am talking a programme that enriches you about it not some place that offers these things as a mere description of what you can learn.

People who think that studying Design at university is bad because there is not a lot of practical work. It already shows that their attitude isn't serious about having a design career.

Design at COFA is Fine Arts based - Design in their view is defined as Fine Arts - painting, drawing, sculpture. I know a person that did one year there.

Digital Media at COFA is all to do with animation and computer related.

Visual Communication is the opportunity to be able to combine typography, design with colour and photography.

It's all down to your attitude, how successful you want to be, where you want to head and where you want to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)