Graphics calculator questions (1 Viewer)

taker0

Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
60
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
Ok so in my trial exam i got 75%...but i reeeaaaly suck on things like intrepreting distribution fequency tables an shit.

eg. frequency distribution table with 3 colums: (x)...(fx)...and (cf).

is there a way to just type the whole table into my graphics calculator because i need to find the median/avg/mode for it etc. all help on this general area would be great. :D
 

*Baby-K*

Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
450
Location
Hills District
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
taker0 said:
Ok so in my trial exam i got 75%...but i reeeaaaly suck on things like intrepreting distribution fequency tables an shit.

eg. frequency distribution table with 3 colums: (x)...(fx)...and (cf).

is there a way to just type the whole table into my graphics calculator because i need to find the median/avg/mode for it etc. all help on this general area would be great. :D
Well actually depends on the table:
what you need to do if the table gives you the cumulative frequency for scores is work out individual value for each of the scores. If that makes sense? Then go into Stat. Mode (2) type in the scores in the first list, and their frequency into the second list. Press calculate- Set- Change 1Var Freq to List 2. Press exit 1Var and there you go. With the tables that give you a range of scores ie athletes aged 23-25, you need to first work out the class centre, then the individual frequency.

Hope that helps
 

taker0

Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
60
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
thanks for the reply...it worked!!

also what does (fx) stand for? its fequency x the scores right?
 

PC

Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
635
Location
Sydney
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
Yeah, like algebra. fx is really f times x, so frequency times score.
 

jenipoo

New Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2006
Messages
6
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
This is kind of off topic, but i don't know how to use all the functions on the graphics calculator.
Am i fucked?
 

taker0

Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
60
Gender
Male
HSC
2009
OK ive got another question its from the 2008 catholic trials question 27b

bill owns a pet shop. the shop sells two types of fish food, gobble and munch. both types of fish food sell at the same price. he decides to discontinue selling one brand. over a 10 wk period he surveys his customers to see which brand was prefered.

then they give you a table:
Week: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Gobble: 14,26,33,14 etc..
Munch: 22,24,24,21 etc...

now can i enter this info into the STAT option?? do i enter the data into 3 columns?? cause they ask for the standard deviation for munch and you gotta find avg and comment on skewness etc...

help appriciated.
 

*Baby-K*

Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
450
Location
Hills District
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
taker0 said:
OK ive got another question its from the 2008 catholic trials question 27b

bill owns a pet shop. the shop sells two types of fish food, gobble and munch. both types of fish food sell at the same price. he decides to discontinue selling one brand. over a 10 wk period he surveys his customers to see which brand was prefered.

then they give you a table:
Week: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Gobble: 14,26,33,14 etc..
Munch: 22,24,24,21 etc...

now can i enter this info into the STAT option?? do i enter the data into 3 columns?? cause they ask for the standard deviation for munch and you gotta find avg and comment on skewness etc...

help appriciated.

What you need to do is enter data for Gobble into List 1 of the STAT option, make sure when you set it your 1VAR Freq says 1 and not List 2 , get the information you need for that, write it down. Then do the same for Munch. Just ignore the weeks collumn.
 

*Baby-K*

Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
450
Location
Hills District
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
jenipoo said:
This is kind of off topic, but i don't know how to use all the functions on the graphics calculator.
Am i fucked?
You need to learn them before Thursday.
It is definate that there will be a question in the exam asking you to compare and contrast 2 sets of data, now you can only do that effectively if you know how to use STAT mode- you are not going to be able to calculate standard deviation all by yourself. Equation solving mode is also VERY useful, especially when they put in those hard ones and you don't know if you did it right it always helps to know what it's meant to work out to. Graphs mode helps you with those questions that ask you what an equation looks like when it's drawn. And one of the most crucial ones is the TVM- so much easier to calculate Future and Present value.
 

PC

Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
635
Location
Sydney
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
jenipoo said:
This is kind of off topic, but i don't know how to use all the functions on the graphics calculator.
Am i fucked?
No ... there are literally THOUSANDS of different things that the calculator can do. No one in the world knows absolutely all of them, except maybe some boys at Sydney Grammar.

You definitely will need to know:
(1) how to use the thing in normal run mode.
(2) how to change the angles setting from radians to degrees (as it will be reset to default settings at the start of the exam.
(3) how to enter degrees and minutes - where to find the bubble or DMS button (whatever you call it)
(4) how to enter scores and frequencies in STAT mode and find mean and standard deviation - you can work out mean by hand but it's the only way we have to find standard deviations

Everything else that you can do will be a bonus. Somethings that will be handy:
(1) Using the GRAPH mode to do quick graphs. Helps you know what yours should look like.
(2) Using the TABLE mode to do quick substitutions into formulas, might need it once and can probably do without it.
(3) Using the TVM mode to do Annuity questions. However from year to year, exams are deliberately written to negate this option.
(4) Using the EQUA mode to solve equations, especially exponential equations, but guess and check is still the preferred method, and you'll probably be forced to do that anyway.

So, you'll be fine.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top