graphing pains... (1 Viewer)

complex

HSC
Doing revision for my 4u test on friday... Wish I'd started earlier. God dammit.

Two questions, related to reciprocial function and division of ordinates in Chapter 1 of Cambridge 4u, exercise 1.5, question 3 and 4.

Question 3:

Graph y=x [easily done]
Graph y=e^x [easily done]
Now Graph y= x/e^x...

Ok, so first thing I did was sub in x=1, which gave me (1,1/e) as a coordinate.

After that I pretty much had no idea what to do, so I subbed values into my calculator to get the general shape of the function. I realize I could have just graphed x . 1/(e^x) which would have been easier - but I think there is an easier way to do it. Dunno how though. Something about analysis of what happens as it tends to 0 and infinity, but I dunno where to go from here;

as x ---> inf, e^x ---> inf
as x ---> -inf, e^x ---> 0

I mean shit, thats great and all but all I did was look at the graph of both functions and what they tend towards. Where do I go from there?

Question 4:

Graph y=ln(x) [easily done]
Graph y=x [easily done]
Graph y=ln(x)/x

Ok, first thing I did was put the asymtote of x=1 in.

Second, I subbed in e. Giving ln(e)/e; (e,1/e). Pretty useless so far.

Then I realized again, it would have been much easier to just graph ln(x) . 1/x, but i'm still pretty sure theres an easier way of going about this.

Help is greatly appreciated. <3

[edit: I have seen/know the solution - I just want some help on the method.]

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Is this graphing or sketching?

Sketch:
y=x
y=e^-x (or 1/e^x) - it is just the mirror image of e^x about the y axis

Now, y=xe^-x
y'=e^-x - xe^-x = e^-x(1-x)=0
x=1
y(1)=1/e

Now, do the extreme values tests, as well as test either side of the extreme point (1,1/e) and test x=0. You should note that the function tends to 0 as x-> inf and tends to negative infinity as x -> -inf, and the extreme value is a maximum.

So you've got an overall shape for the graph: it goes from 0 at x=0 to a peak of 1/e at x=1 and then settles down to 0 as it x approaches infinity. Easy.

What about the negative side of the x-axis though? Well, obviously the entire negative side of the x axis is negative, since there was only one root for the derivative and it was a max value. Now, we're dividing x by e^x. Ignoring that y=x is negative (x<0 means y<0) for the moment, what happens when you divide a number greater than one by a number between 0 and 1? E.g. 4/0.1 = 40. The number gets bigger. So basically, as x-> negative inf, y -> negative infinity at a very fast rate (essentially exponential).

If it is actually graphing, then it's probably easier. You can do some of the above stuff, but what I'd do is just plot every 1 points for each function then divide them (or multiply if you're going with xe^-x).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Question 4:

Graph y=ln(x) [easily done]
Graph y=x [easily done]
Graph y=ln(x)/x

Ok, first thing I did was put the asymtote of x=1 in.

Second, I subbed in e. Giving ln(e)/e; (e,1/e). Pretty useless so far.

Then I realized again, it would have been much easier to just graph ln(x) . 1/x, but i'm still pretty sure theres an easier way of going about this.

Help is greatly appreciated. <3

[edit: I have seen/know the solution - I just want some help on the method.]
OK, so again, I'd be graphing y=1/x instead of y=x.

Asymptote of x=1, good.
y=lnx.x^-1
y'=1/x^2 -lnx.x^-2 = x^-2(1-lnx)=0
1=lnx
e=x
So stat pt or extreme pt at (e,1/e). Test either side to figure out max at x=e. Also find root of x=1.

Now, since we have ln(x), there will be nothing for values of x < 0. Asymptote at x=0, and since we've got a max at x=e, and a root at x=1, obviously for values of x<1, it's pretty similar to the graph of y=lnx.

Now, since y=1/x has an asymptote at y=0, so too will any composite functions. Given there's a max value at x=e and no roots after this, the function must approach zero as x-> infinity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)