Graphing (1 Viewer)

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
Oh crap nevermind I thought there was a z on the denom. Have u tried cis form and then played aroud w the graph (pref also simplifying inside of arg)?

Luukas.2

HSC

So, the direction of the vector from to is (implicitly) being restricted to

Combined with the restriction that , the region is the minor segment of the circle centred at the origin and of radius 2 bordered by the interval from to . All borders are inside the locus except for the point itself (as it leads to the argument of zero, which is unefined).

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
I ended up w/ this but I'm not sure if it's right and then part iii was to determine the min value of |z+i| which I don't get as well
im just blurting out crap that might help (gonna be honest, haven't touched loci since I finished complex πŸ’€, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt ) for part iii can you consider z+i as z-(-i), then observe something useful from that? provided, that you've been given |z|=2 (using vectors)?

Last edited:

astj

HSC
im just blurting out crap that might help (gonna be honest, haven't touched loci since I finished complex πŸ’€, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt ) for part iii can you consider z+i as z-(-i), then observe something useful from that provided, that you've been given |z|=2 (using vectors)?
Yeah I like started from -i and then I drew a line from it to -2 to find √5 (which looks sorta off) and then for max value I did -i to 2i = 3 but that seems insanely wrongπŸ’€IMG_3E58864AAD8C-1.jpeg

Luukas.2

HSC
im just blurting out crap that might help (gonna be honest, haven't touched loci since I finished complex πŸ’€, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt ) for part iii can you consider z+i as z-(-i), then observe something useful from that? provided, that you've been given |z|=2 (using vectors)?
So, @astj, the third part is asking you to find the point in the locus that is furthest from , as , which refers to the length of the vector from to .

This point is , so the answer is .

Luukas.2

HSC
So, @astj, the third part is asking you to find the point in the locus that is furthest from , as , which refers to the length of the vector from to .

This point is , so the answer is .
Oops, you wanted min... So, you have:

Luukas.2

HSC
Oops, you wanted min... So, you have:

Oops x 2, that's wrong too.

The closest point in the locus will be on the interval from to where the line to is perpendicular to the interval. I think this gives

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
I'm assuming that the must lie in the region established earlier in the question.

If it was to the region where , the minimum value of would be zero, occurring when .
Oh right lmfao mbmb. so then its point-line distance formula for perp distance from origin?

Luukas.2

HSC
@ISAM77... have you noticed this question / thread, as it touches on what we were discussing. Taking the question as written, the locus of where

is actually not the answer given above, because that answer (which is the one intended, I am sure), is actually to the question

Some teachers will explain this by saying that you need to take to mean / imply the principal argument when not including the restriction leads to an absurd aoutcome, but I see that as an excuse for imprecise question writing.

---

For everyone, as an illustration of how the proof topic can be used in a variety of ways, consider this extension.

Suppose that is any complex number that lies in the locus

It has been shown above that

Prove that there are infinitely many solutions of the equation when

and exactly one solution for the equation when

There are a variety of approaches that can be taken here, so I am interested in people exploring what ways might be used and how much needs to be said to "prove" these results as opposed to "explain" / "justify" / "show".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)