Graphs and Complex Number: (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
We need to powerful method of discussion here.

For the first one we have some sort of weird looking graph.

Now, from the graph you could notice a few things. One obvious thing is:

- As the function tends toward positive and negative infinity, it approaches the asymptote of -1.

This of course only can happen if g(x) takes a negative value AND if it holds the same degree as that of the denominator.

With this in mind the only possible answer is D.

[HR][/HR]

Now let's consider the second one.

A) Well it's quite obvious that Q(w) is P(z) rotated anti-clockwise 90 degrees and halved in length. So of course A is correct.

B) Is incorrect. It is saying that the vector is rotated 90 degrees clockwise then truncated by half its length. Not true.

C) If we were to take the conjugate of w, it would be a reflect about the x axis. Clearly it cannot be rotated 90 degrees in any way to form the vector of z.

D)

Same as first one! CORRECT! :)

[HR][/HR]

Next question.

Consider A, a is correct, because the conjugate is the reflection about the x axis. You may be thinking if might be some angle say 11pi/6 rads. However we are concerning the principle values. So adding them will result in zero. Hence A is correct.

Consider B, Clearly, the angle made with the positive real axis minus the argument made by z is 90! :) Correct!

Consider C, NOPE! By observation!

Consider D, Correct. If we put some hypothetical values in, we always get -90!

[HR][/HR]

Next one. If we take the reciprocal function, it will always retain it's y value of 1 at the x coordinate. So the only possible answer is A.

Help me get off this website. It's ruining my HSC!

Last edited:

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
for the last question, isnt it B) ??

- As the function tends toward positive and negative infinity, it approaches the asymptote of -1.

This of course only can happen if g(x) takes a negative value AND if it holds the same degree as that of the denominator.

[HR][/HR]

A) Well it's quite obvious that Q(w) is P(z) rotated anti-clockwise 90 degrees and halved in length. So of course A is correct.

B) Is incorrect. It is saying that the vector is rotated 90 degrees clockwise then truncated by half its length. Not true.

C) If we were to take the conjugate of w, it would be a reflect about the x axis. Clearly it cannot be rotated 90 degrees in any way to form the vector of z.

D)

[HR][/HR]

Next question.

Consider A, a is correct, because the conjugate is the reflection about the x axis. You may be thinking if might be some angle say 11pi/6 rads. However we are concerning the principle values. So adding them will result in zero. Hence A is correct.

Consider B, Clearly, the angle made with the positive real axis minus the argument made by z is 90! :) Correct!

[HR][/HR]

Next one. If we take the reciprocal function, it will always retain it's y value of 1 at the x coordinate. So the only possible answer is A.

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
the horizontal asymtote remains at 1 coz reciprocal of 1 is 1 ...

[HR][/HR]

D)

[HR][/HR]

Next question.

[HR][/HR]

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
No? There is no horizontal asymptote for the original graph. It just indicates the line y=1

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Which one? I need to go now. List questions and I will get back to you ASAP tonight. If not, PM me.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I never claimed that, although it is true.

All I simply said was, when you reciprocate the coordinates, you get the same y oordinate with the x coordinate. Hence the only possible answer is B.

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
u said its A) first ... thanks anyway :)
I never claimed that, although it is true.

All I simply said was, when you reciprocate the coordinates, you get the same y oordinate with the x coordinate. Hence the only possible answer is B.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Sorry its A. I got the first and last question mixed up.

EazyEEE

HSC
last questions for the reciprol graph is a, because u eliminate d since f(x) and 1/f(x) must have same signs, and for f(x) =1, 1/f(x) must also equals to 1,

so its common sense

Aesytic

HSC
the answer to the graphs question is A
i assume you know why it can't be C or D
with B, the graph suggests that 1/f(x) approaches 1 as x approaches infinity. if we look at the original graph, in order for this to be true, f(x) would also need to have a horizontal asymptote at 1. however, this isn't the case. the graph clearly shows that the curve doesn't approach 1 (the line y=1 is shown just to indicate that at x=1 and -1, f(x) = 1 as well)
hence the answer can only be A. as to why the line moves from 1 down to a half, it is to show the turning point of the middle part of the curve (the "parabola") since there was a maximum at x=0 when f(x)=2, then there should be a minimum at x=0, with f(x) being 1/2

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
thanks brahh :)
the answer to the graphs question is A
i assume you know why it can't be C or D
with B, the graph suggests that 1/f(x) approaches 1 as x approaches infinity. if we look at the original graph, in order for this to be true, f(x) would also need to have a horizontal asymptote at 1. however, this isn't the case. the graph clearly shows that the curve doesn't approach 1 (the line y=1 is shown just to indicate that at x=1 and -1, f(x) = 1 as well)
hence the answer can only be A. as to why the line moves from 1 down to a half, it is to show the turning point of the middle part of the curve (the "parabola") since there was a maximum at x=0 when f(x)=2, then there should be a minimum at x=0, with f(x) being 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)