Graphs. (1 Viewer)

Paj20

HSC
Is there a set procedure for what measurement to place on the horizontal and vertical axis on a graph?

michael1990

HSC
Paj20 said:
Is there a set procedure for what measurement to place on the horizontal and vertical axis on a graph?
No but if have to complete a graph, the paper will be given to you. You decide how wide the vertical points are etc...

PC

HSC
N/A
Actually no.

They haven't provided a sheet of graph paper since the first HSC in this subject back in 2001. I think the view is that our graphs a fairly straightforward. They are either basic curves, when the general shape and properties need to be shown, or straight line graphs, and for straight line graphs, students should be able to use a ruler to draw straight lines. Of course, who knows what they have in store for us on Thursday.

To draw graphs, though, the independent variable always goes on the horizontal axis.

What the hell does that mean? Well, time is always an independent variable, so any graph with time somewhere (like depreciation or balance of an account) will have time on the horizontal axis.

For other graphs, you've probably got a table of values to work with, so I'd suggest that whatever is in the top row of the table goes on the horizontal axis and whatever is in the bottom row of the table goes on the vertical axis.

Hope that all makes sense.

michael1990

HSC
PC said:
Actually no.

They haven't provided a sheet of graph paper since the first HSC in this subject back in 2001. I think the view is that our graphs a fairly straightforward. They are either basic curves, when the general shape and properties need to be shown, or straight line graphs, and for straight line graphs, students should be able to use a ruler to draw straight lines. Of course, who knows what they have in store for us on Thursday.

To draw graphs, though, the independent variable always goes on the horizontal axis.

What the hell does that mean? Well, time is always an independent variable, so any graph with time somewhere (like depreciation or balance of an account) will have time on the horizontal axis.

For other graphs, you've probably got a table of values to work with, so I'd suggest that whatever is in the top row of the table goes on the horizontal axis and whatever is in the bottom row of the table goes on the vertical axis.

Well, actually the potential for a graph question to be asked is still quite real.
Although it may not have occured in many years, it is still quite possible.
You need to be ready for a number of different questions whether they have been asked in the past couple of years or not.

Your analysis of graph is quite right.

PC

HSC
N/A
Sorry I should have added ... if they want us to draw a graph, it's expected that we can do it ourselves on the answer booklet using pen and a ruler. They won't supply graph paper.

Michael1990 is totally correct ... you can expect to have to draw a graph!

That's the safest bet since Phar Lap!

Paj20

HSC
PC said:
Actually no.

Thanks.

the10thplanet

HSC
What about this one:

The mean of a set of five scores is 62

What is the new mean if the value 14 is added?

a) 38
b) 54
c) 62
d) 76

thankss

tomjones

HSC
the10thplanet said:
What about this one:

The mean of a set of five scores is 62

What is the new mean if the value 14 is added?

a) 38
b) 54
c) 62
d) 76

thankss
First we need to find the total of the set of 5 scores. We do this by reversing how we find the mean.

62= Total/5
Therefore Total=62 X 5
= 310

Now its just a factor of finding the new mean. All we have to do is add the new score which is 14 to the total being 310 and then divide that by the number of scores which in this case is 6

Therefore
Mean of the six scores= (310 + 14) /6
=54

Therefore the anser is B

the10thplanet

HSC
tomjones said:
First we need to find the total of the set of 5 scores. We do this by reversing how we find the mean.

62= Total/5
Therefore Total=62 X 5
= 310

Now its just a factor of finding the new mean. All we have to do is add the new score which is 14 to the total being 310 and then divide that by the number of scores which in this case is 6

Therefore
Mean of the six scores= (310 + 14) /6
=54

Therefore the anser is B

great mate cheers for the fast reply, sorry for hijacking thread I thought I posted this in the hard questions thread :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)