Gratzel (1 Viewer)

WikiLover89

HSC
Is there anybody with any information on the gratzel cell?
I cant seem to find any.

HSC
N/A
This is a bit late, but, hey, I only just signed up.;)

Anyway, you know that the Graetzel cell is dye-sensitised solar cells (from which the acronym DSSC is spawned), which are basically photoelectrochemical cells that use photo-sensitisation of wide-band-gap mesoporous oxide semiconductors.
It's more or less a TiO2-based cell, and contains two conductors which essentially act as electrodes, and an electrolyte solution. These are needed to replenish the electrons that the pigment molecules lose to the TiO2.

The DSSC effectively mimics the photosynthesis of plants. It uses an organic dye (photosensitiser) to absorb the light and create electron-hole pairs, a nanoporous (high surface area) metal oxide layer to transport the electrons, and a hole-transporting material, which is typically a liquid electrolyte.

What exactly do you want to know about them, WikiLover89?

WikiLover89

HSC
Thanks for the info
Im just trying to learn as much as i can because im trying to use it for my HSC and it was what i chose so any general info would help and if possible could yo supply a chemical equation (if you have a balanced and what not one id appreicate it) id be very grateful.
Cheers
WikiLover89

Riviet

HSC
N/A
From Conquering Chemistry (4th edition):

When light hits the TiO2 an electron is released: it flows through the external circuit to the other sheet of glass. The electron released by the TiO2 is replaced by oxidation iodide:

TiO2(s) + light -> TiO2+(s) + e-

2TiO2+(s) + 2I-(aq) -> 2TiO2(s) + I2(aq)

and so the TiO2 can continue emitting electrons as light shines on it. The circuit is completed on the bottom sheet of glass by the iodine absorbing the returning electrons:

I2(aq) + 2e- -> 2I-(aq)

WikiLover89

HSC
Thanks that helps a heap. With the Gratzel cell is it onlt TiO2 That is used or are there other photosensitive materials that can be used?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
WikiLover89 said:
Thanks that helps a heap. With the Gratzel cell is it onlt TiO2 That is used or are there other photosensitive materials that can be used?
Not sure but I would think the TiO2 is more efficient than other possible materials.

HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
Not sure but I would think the TiO2 is more efficient than other possible materials.
According to the science that we have now, titanium dioxide is the most practical, cheap, and efficient material.

Well, WikiLover89, there are other Graetzel cells, but as Riviet said, "TiO2 is more efficient than other possible materials."

More questions?

WikiLover89

HSC
Yea a few more, your help so fars is greatly appriecated
Riviet said:
From Conquering Chemistry (4th edition):
and so the TiO<SUB>2</SUB> can continue emitting electrons as light shines on it. The circuit is completed on the bottom sheet of glass by the iodine absorbing the returning electrons:

Does that mean that the TiO2 Gratzel Cell will have an "infinite" charge or will the electrons eventually be lost to something?

What uses are they usually found to have in todays world?

HSC
N/A
I'm glad to be of your service, WikiLover89 (but sorry if I can't be of much help, and too correct).

If you misuse Graetzel cells, they will eventually deteriorate and lose their electrons; if used normally, this will not be the case.

As for uses, the Graetzel is used in some cell phones, laptops, and other low-power applications.

In other news, I need to get myself a copy of Conquering Chemistry soon!:D

Here's an external link to a DSSC site.

kimywis

HSC
Hey there Wiki Lover. Is it true that gratzel cells can use Ruthenium instead of Titanium?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)