Gravitational Constant (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
6.67 x 10<sup>-11</sup>?

I think newton got it the same way as how planck got his constant.. using some strange technique.

Here's how they do it. They draw a paper with numbers 0, 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 all the way til 9. They then hold a pen, close their eye, and just move the pen / inkpen all the way through the page. The numbers that were crossed by the line were then taken.

Einstein must have gone through many 0s, and got a surprisingly small number. Because of this "phenomena", he thinks the number is special. It turns out it fits with all the motion equations.

Im not sure about planck, but this is a rumor i heard from a very trustworthy person.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Im not quite sure whether you're required to talk about the G constant in the syllabus, really. In my second thought, because Einstein compared his gravitational and centripetal force equations with kepler's law, it could be that kepler was the first to take the constant (after doing the above technique) :D

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
lol nice technique underthesun, maybe you can try it to predict your UAI :p

It was some eccentric Britich physicist & chemist that first figured out the value of G, called Henry Cavendish. He used a torsion balance (a dumbell mass hung on a string), and brought a heavy mass near the end of it. Due to the gravitational attraction, the string started to twist very slightly, and this can be measured by lasers. Read here for full details:

http://physics.usask.ca/~kolb/p404/cavendish/

Because gravitational attraction is so weak, G is one of the least accurately known physical constants.

^___^
HSC
????

i was interested coz its in the syllabus, explain the escape velocity in terms of gravitation constant, i'm stuck on that...anyone enlighten me??

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
It was something along the line of sqrt(2GM/r), right? (cant recall the formula)

Hence, the less mass the planet has, and the bigger the radius of the planet, the less initial velocity it is required to escape the planet (projectile). Im not sure about ignoring air velocity, forgot that part. Dont think that's involved in it though..

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by underthesun
It was something along the line of sqrt(2GM/r), right? (cant recall the formula)

Yep, that's right :)

More info:

ESCAPE VELOCITY

If an object is projected upward with a large enough velocity it can escape the gravititational pull of the Earth (or other planet) and go into space. The necessary velocity to leave the Earth (or other planet) is called the escape velocity.

Ve = sqroot (2GMe/Re)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)