Gray's poetry (1 Viewer)

superstar12

HSC
I'm struggling to find any link between Robert Gray's poetry and the concept of discovery. Does anyone have any ideas?

superstar12

HSC
At the moment, I'm looking at Journey: the North Coast. In the poem, it just seems that the persona just has an awe/wonder for nature and the country, but I can't see a real/non-superficial connection to discovery in this imagist style. The other poems, such as North Coast Town and The Meatworks, just talk about the decline or dehumanising nature of a place, but I also can't find the link to discovery. Could you help me?

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
At the moment, I'm looking at Journey: the North Coast. In the poem, it just seems that the persona just has an awe/wonder for nature and the country, but I can't see a real/non-superficial connection to discovery in this imagist style. The other poems, such as North Coast Town and The Meatworks, just talk about the decline or dehumanising nature of a place, but I also can't find the link to discovery. Could you help me?
After having a brief look at the poems...

In The Meatworks, there's definitely an element of discovery wherein the persona realises that he is no less a piece of meat than the pigs slaughtered at the abattoir. "Frail green money" seems almost oxymoronic, green being symbolic of life, and currency being representative of prosperity and stability. If you can, link it to a 'nihilistic' discovery.

Similarly, North Coast Town conveys a fluctuation of perception (I'm very much attuned to belonging terminology) in that his discovery is incongruous with his nostalgic image of place.

Last edited:

coll09

HSC
The links you made for Meatworks are quite clever.

Also, he may be discovering the pigs at the abattoir to be undervalued as they have human like qualities - "the way those pigs stuck there, clinging onto each other". This suggests their intellect and evokes a sense of empathy in the responder.

What do mean exactly by nihilistic discovery? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)