Greatest Hits CDs (1 Viewer)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Anyone else noticed how many greatest hits CDs hve been released lately? There's Powderfinger, Live, Shania Twain, Robbie Williams, Britney Spears (shudder), Blue, Macy Gray, etc. There's prob more but I forgot. What a "coincidence" that everyone is releasing these albums now that it is coming up to Christmas. I just think greatest hits albums are pointless, they don't require the artist to do anything, they don't have to make any new songs, to me they seem to simply be another money grabber for their record companies.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
They aren't pointless. Lots of them put on a few unreleased/rare/bside tracks.

HSC
dont think britney spears would have an album called 'b sides and bootlegs' lol

juvenile - greatest hits...came out recently as well...though cash money did a fucked up job in putting together what was supposed to be the greatest hits of one of my favourite southern rapper :(

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
lol....pathetic....greatest hits are supposed to be released when an artist has done something really great...i heard nikki webster is making a 'greatest hits'

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
sped_kid01 said:
lol....pathetic....greatest hits are supposed to be released when an artist has done something really great...i heard nikki webster is making a 'greatest hits'
that signals end of career, like many greatest hits albums

Silverstone

Obey, The Law.
HSC
Theyre released around this period because of sales increase - due to the upcoming christmas peaks. That was the driving motif behind Twain and Spear's release.

Of Course, Shania deserves her greatest hits album for now, and she is of course - the highest selling female artist in music HISTORY! (Mhm, Come on Over is the highest selling female album of all time, and she's the only person to have 3 albums go Diamond)

astro

HSC
both nikki webster and mandy moore are releasing a greatest hits......bit of an oxymoron....
nikki webster's career ended as soon as she had entered the music industry....still don't believe kulazzi likes her....ugh

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
yenta said:
Anyone else noticed how many greatest hits CDs hve been released lately? There's Powderfinger, Live, Shania Twain, Robbie Williams, Britney Spears (shudder), Blue, Macy Gray, etc. There's prob more but I forgot. What a "coincidence" that everyone is releasing these albums now that it is coming up to Christmas. I just think greatest hits albums are pointless, they don't require the artist to do anything, they don't have to make any new songs, to me they seem to simply be another money grabber for their record companies.

who cares. they are all shit. dont even look at their cd's. buy decent music instead

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
They're used as a vehicle for bands who have a couple of new tracks but don't want to release an EP.

wanton-wonton

HSC
yenta said:
I just think greatest hits albums are pointless, they don't require the artist to do anything, they don't have to make any new songs, to me they seem to simply be another money grabber for their record companies.
they arent pointless
they're great introduction for people who havnt heard much of a artist/band's song

wanton-wonton

HSC
Brad said:
AFI, Nofx, Limp Bizkit..... Manson ummm, theres a couple of others too.
yeh im thinking about buying manson's one, heard theres videos.

G

Gavvvvvin

Yeah its on Nitro. AFI still owed Nitro another record, so I guess this is their way of making up for it since they switched labels.

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
Greatest Hits albums should only be for artists that are retiring, or have had more than 8 albums. At the rate they release albums these days, most artists already have 5 albums out and they havent even been around for more than 3yrs. Its very sad.
The quality of music and artists in general has decreased dramatically since the mid 90's and i blame it all on MTV. Putting fake hopes into people so they think they can become superstars, when really they suck ass.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
reno2004 said:
Greatest Hits albums should only be for artists that are retiring, or have had more than 8 albums.

The quality of music and artists in general has decreased dramatically since the mid 90's and i blame it all on MTV. Putting fake hopes into people so they think they can become superstars, when really they suck ass.
More than 8 albums? But that is just encouraging them to release shit albums...........You yourself are a product of the 'MTV' generation if you beleive that a band must release 8 albums to be great.

What about Cream? They are one of the greatest but they never released 8 albums.

The quality of music, my friend has been steadily decreasing since 1980..........

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Favourite 'Best Ofs'
Nas - Lost tapes (kinda a best of)
Ghostface Killah - Shaolin's finest
Mr. Len presents Company Flow - Class X

HSC
i like the ones soma mentioned plus

ice cubes greatest,
dr dre's greatest (mostly for the beats)
eric claptons greatest,
john lennon - legend
robbie williams best of
best of u2
best of beatles
jagged edge - the collection
r kelly - the R in R&B
jay-z - chapter 1
red hot chilli peppers greatest
korns best of

got alot of other 'best ofs' but most of them are crap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)