Greatest Hits CDs (1 Viewer)

wanton-wonton

HSC
iron maiden's got a shitload of greatest hits / best-of albums, and thats EXCLUDING the live albums.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
maiden have about a million standalone albums though.

ice cube's greatest hits was a bit of a hit and miss - some of his better songs, such as Ghetto Bird were omitted, and nearly every song on it was done featuring another rapper.

wanton-wonton

HSC
maiden's greatest hits/best-of albums are extremely repetitive.

all the obvious songs are on all their best-of albums

run to the hill
hallowed be thy name
number of the beast

are the most three obvious

with many more..

its pretty lame considering metallica hasn't released a single best of or greatest hits albums yet. past compilations such as metal masscare with three songs do not count as greatest hits -_-. and no, S&M was NOT a greatest hits album, it was more of a concept album, a whole new experience, something to experiment with.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Brad said:
AFI, Nofx, Limp Bizkit..... Manson ummm, theres a couple of others too.
YEY! i want afi & nofx.
I think Greatest Hits are good fro bands that have heaps of CDs that not all their fans will have heard, it gives you an overview of what they've done and if you like it enough you'll most likely go buy all their other albums.
Plus they're good if you're broke like me and can't afford all the individual cds :D

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
lol yeah the panel i think was making fun at nikki webster by her having a greatest hits cd

:eek:

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I think it's good for quality bands that have been around for ages and released plenty of albums to release greatest hits CDs...but I guess what shits me is how so many crap artists release them when they haven't even been around that long, it seems they just want to make money from them e.g. britney spears, robbie williams, nikki webster (what a joke!!??!!!!!), i don't think any of them are that great. Imo only bands or artists who have been around a long time, made a lot of quality songs, and generally have a reputation as one of the world's great artists should release greatest hits albums. So bands such as Pearl Jam, Metallica etc deserve it but most of the others who do release them don't deserve to (haven't reached high enough status yet).

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
yenta said:
...but I guess what shits me is how so many crap artists release them when they haven't even been around that long, it seems they just want to make money from them

Yes they are releasing them to make money. duh. They also DO make money from them. Thats how the music industry works today

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Yeah but I meant they just want to make money without having to put the effort in. Unless the album contains new unreleased/rare tracks, then the artist doesn't deserve the money

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
They don't deserve it but they still get it.......People dont buy music for music any more. Look at Australian Idol. All these ppl are doing is covering other artist's songs, making them glorified karaoke singers. But whoever wins is guaranteed a #1 single. it sucks but the only way it can be changed is to stop buying this crap

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Yeah I agree with you, I think it's all just the way they market it so that everyone likes it. Nearly everything in the Top 40 chart I think is rubbish, but a lot of people like them hence they're in the top 40. Radio plays a part too in choosing which songs they will play, most of the time they choose crap and then that's what sells. So I guess people won't stop buying this crap because of all the stupid people who follow things like australian idol, and the radio and then make all these shit artists do well.

Fry

yenta said:
Yeah but I meant they just want to make money without having to put the effort in. Unless the album contains new unreleased/rare tracks, then the artist doesn't deserve the money
it's usually the greedy record companies who release the greatest hits/remix albums to make money. sometimes the artist has no control over it and they don't receive royalties until it reaches above the required threshold. artists usually make more money from concerts.

wanton-wonton

HSC
yenta said:
I think it's good for quality bands that have been around for ages and released plenty of albums to release greatest hits CDs...but I guess what shits me is how so many crap artists release them when they haven't even been around that long, it seems they just want to make money from them e.g. britney spears, robbie williams, nikki webster (what a joke!!??!!!!!), i don't think any of them are that great. Imo only bands or artists who have been around a long time, made a lot of quality songs, and generally have a reputation as one of the world's great artists should release greatest hits albums. So bands such as Pearl Jam, Metallica etc deserve it but most of the others who do release them don't deserve to (haven't reached high enough status yet).
i fully agree with what you said about metallica ;) they've been going on for over 2 decades and still no greatest hits compilation yet...they'll prob release one when they retire...maybe a few more years or another decade? their new album begins recording early 2005.

HSC
N/A
Okay, I admit, I own a lot of best-of albums.
But I'm not too fond of any of them. I thought Manson's best of was terrible. HIM's best of suffered because every mainstream HIM single sounds exactly the same anyway. Korn's was okay... I spose, despite the fact that they decided to put their songs on in reverse order of release so "Blind", a decent opener was the second last song on the album (Jon Davis - you're officially a moron).

Most of the time though I feel that when a band releases an album, then, that's really the way the song should have been listened to in the first place. Or that an album isn't just a collection of individual songs, it's like, a series of songs that complement each other.

I can't really see Nine Inch Nails doing a best of album. Mainly because no one likes their most famous hits anyway.

/end pointless rant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)