Greatest Xi For Each Team- Cricket (1 Viewer)

Jimmy_B

HSC
funnybunny said:
great bowling attacks of the modern era

alan donald and shaun pollock
darren Gough and ALan mullay
Flintoff and Harmision
Vass and Murali
Bond and vETTORI
-mcgrath,gillespie,fleming,warne - most versatile aussie attack of the 90's
-wasim, waqar, imran, mushtaq- around the 92 world cup time if i remember
-wasim,waqar,saqlain,mushtaq -around 96 had it all, gave the indians hell in particular
-ambrose,walsh,marshall,garner - awesome pace and all versatile enough to take wickets on featherbeds
-harmy,hoggard,flintoff,jones,giles
-donald,pollock,de villiers, mcmillan,kallis - if only they had a spinner. that attack was nuts even had guys like cronje who could roll an arm over as a partnership breaker.

these are only ones i've seen, so obviously attacks like marshall,garner,holding,croft don't make the cut.

King2

HSC
Bookie said:
So Adcock and Tayfield, whom youve never seen are forerunners to possibly the greatest allrounder (after Sobers) ever? This guy who has played 97 tests, captained them more than half the time, has notched up 3000 runs at 35 with the bat and nearly 4000 wickets at 22 with the ball. Now I dont know what else requires selection for an all time team, but I cant see how you're putting other guys in front of him. Maybe you didnt watch the cricket yesterday, but Pollock bowled like he always used to. Surely the greatest all rounder of this generation wont go amiss

(I'm not arguing with you, becuase you seem to have a wealth of cricket knowledge, but im just baffled by your dismissal of polly)
I know your not arguing with me but your debating and i really do not mind that. For your knowledge i did watch the cricket and i saw pleasing results with the ball and i know he is no dummy with the bat. I know his abilities well and he is a really good player and he was definitely on my mind when this selection process was being made. I never tried to give the impression that Adcock was an allrounder by any measure. Also i never compared Adcock, Tayfield or any of the allrounders in the South African squad to the infamous Sobers. Adcock has an infamous record with a wonderful average and strike rate in both Test match and First-class anad should not be scarificed. Tayfield is by far South Africas best spinner with Symcox being the closest in contention. You cant seperate Peter Pollock, Mike Proctor and Allan Donald with their speed and wonderful accruacy so who would you scarifice for Shaun? I see your view of the debate with Shaun being an allrounder but there is enough allrounders with Kallis, Proctor, Pollock and even Tayfield all obliged to be branded as allrounders. There just isnt a spot for him.

King2

HSC
copious said:
Adding to that, how many players actually have Shauno's economy rate in ODI over such a long period of time.
Adding to that you should have read my first couple of lines of my post where it clearly states that it is only for Test and not for ODI. Test and ODIs are two different formats.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
king2 said:
I see your view of the debate with Shaun being an allrounder but there is enough allrounders with Kallis, Proctor, Pollock and even Tayfield all obliged to be branded as allrounders. There just isnt a spot for him.
that means you are placing p pollock, proctor and tayfield AHEAD OF shaun pollock. i dont whats in your brain, but shaun pollock would make my all time all nations xi. No one bar Sobers can better that allrounder record that Pollock has. he would make most world xi sides if he couldnt score a run, but with the added benefit, you would fit nicely into the role of sunil gavaskar when he selected the icc test xi team to play in sydney.

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
Well king2 is certainly the cricket pundit, excellent input
Here is my new english XI

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hammond (c)
Hutton
Compton
Botham
Evans (wk)
Trueman
Bedser
Barnes (both aus and eng have a sid barnes)
Laker

yeah, evans is the greatest wicketkeeper of all time but for longevity and as a batsman, stewart is better. In the modern game, he kept for england until he was 40!
Tallon is the finest Australian keeper, gilchrist couldn't catch a cold compared to him.
Trueman, Tyson, Barnes! Yeah those were the great English Bowlers. I wouldn't have chosen Larwood (bodyline bowler) He doesn't exactly have the most flattering stats.
Isn't it amazing that any English XI would have Alec Bedser, i mean he's just medium pace but he could swing the ball both ways and reverse swing it. And when he didn't get any swing he would rip off and leg cutters. Bradman rated him very highly.
I would put Hammond 3, you need an aggressive number 3 and Hutton wasn't a dasher.
Finally, Compton vs Grace that is really tough. Both were brilliant to watch...

King2

HSC
Bookie said:
that means you are placing p pollock, proctor and tayfield AHEAD OF shaun pollock. i dont whats in your brain, but shaun pollock would make my all time all nations xi. No one bar Sobers can better that allrounder record that Pollock has. he would make most world xi sides if he couldnt score a run, but with the added benefit, you would fit nicely into the role of sunil gavaskar when he selected the icc test xi team to play in sydney.
There just isnt a spot for him. He can be 12th man to make you happy :p

Last edited:

davo_

good kid
HSC
This thread really is a laugh. There are two people in this thread - one that is going with what he knows and including reasonably current players along with known greats:. Then the wannabe cricket genius who likes to pretend actually saw Victor Trumper play in his debut match.
Really everyone here is too young to be a really fair judge.

King2

HSC
beabenn said:
Well king2 is certainly the cricket pundit, excellent input
Here is my new english XI

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hammond (c)
Hutton
Compton
Botham
Evans (wk)
Trueman
Bedser
Barnes (both aus and eng have a sid barnes)
Laker
Nice squad very similar to mine which is below.

1. J.B. Hobbs
2. H. Sutcliffe
3. L. Hutton
4. W.G. Grace (c)
5. W.R. Hammond
6. I.T. Botham
7. W. Rhodes
8. T.G. Evans (wk)
9. H. Larwood
10. A.V Bedser
11. S. F. Barnes

The famous opening pair is retained with Hammond at three? I would not go with Hammond at number three on the basis of the first partnership faltering and i really do not want an aggressive batsman at number 3. Hutton on the other hand is a more conventional and is suited as a batsman to 'rebuild'. Hammonds record at number 3 on the other hand is phenominal and is been branded the greatest number 3 at all times but because of the above reason i would have to put him down the order. Also, Hutton is a suited to be higher than number 4 since he normally opens, considering he opened 131 times out of 138 innings and thats the other reason why Hammond was dropped to number 5. I could not open with Hutton on the basis of the famous opening pair of Sutcliffe and Hobbs, who are definitely one of the greatest opening pairs along side the likes of Greenidge and Haynes.
The keeping position was an interesting one to conquer for there were many contenders. Evans was defintely the greatest keeper in Englands history, but he was not much of a batsmen. I, then thought of replacing Evans with Ames and then bring in Laker since i chose Rhodes on his batting and bowling and discarded Laker for his poor batting. Knott, of course, was not even the best wicketkeeper in England of his day; Bob Taylor was generally acknowledged to be a better keeper. Bob Taylor's batting was, however, not the finest in the land, and England generally went with the good keeper and mercurial batsman rather than the great keeper/rubbish batsman.
I was amused by the fact that Hammond was chosen as your first captain and not Hutton. Hutton is by far a better captain but in order for him to captain the way he does, you may want to have a majority of fast bowlers since he was worth noted that he was one of the first captains to want his fast bowlers to bounce and terrorise opposition tail-enders, especially if his bowlers were faster than theirs.

With Hutton as captain, I would probably go for:
Hobbs
Suttcliffe
Hutton *
Barrington (but many others could be considered for this slot, de[ending on style required)
Ames +
Hammond
Flintoff (quicker and taller than Botham)
Larwood
Laker
Trueman
Tyson or SF Barnes (Tyson on quick pitches; Barnes where there's the prospect of spin)

Traditionally, England has chosen the best captain to lead the side, rather than the "Australian" approach of choosing the best 11, and then picking the best captain from among these. If one follows that traditional route, then one has really to consider the merits of Jardine and Brearley. Neither would get in to a Best XI through their playing ability, but would bring some rather good captaincy to the side.

SF Barnes is a great choice, as he bowled wrist spin, finger spin and swing bowling, all to considerable effect. He could take the new ball, and then later on bowl spin in partnership with Laker (if he was chosen) or with Rhodes.

If i was to take out Grace, I would not do it for the expense of Compton but for Barrington who is suited for that position than Compton.

Your original team is viable. I would choose differently, but that's what makes these debates endlessly fascinating.

King2

HSC
davo_ said:
This thread really is a laugh. There are two people in this thread - one that is going with what he knows and including reasonably current players along with known greats:. Then the wannabe cricket genius who likes to pretend actually saw Victor Trumper play in his debut match.
Really everyone here is too young to be a really fair judge.

who is who? Plus, it isnt too young to know about cricket. I used to read heaps about cricket from the age of 10 and i doubt not many people do that. I just love the sport and from that age i used to do work on it. Write essays, debates etc. Also, no one here is trying to pretend they actually saw greats such as Trumper and Bradman but are trying to relate to their brilliance from what they have heard or read. Are you saying that you are a fair judge?

King2

HSC
HotShot said:
u nuts! hayden is shit compared this lot. u missing heaps of players consider:
Victor Trumper
Neil Harvey
Clarrie Grimmett
Bill O'Reilly

W Lawry
R.Ponting
D Bradman
G Chappell
A Border (vc)
S Waugh (c)
A Gilchrist (wk)
S Warne
D Lillee
Bill'Oreilly
G McGrath
K.Miller (12th man)

Pakistan Greatest XI
S.Anwar
H.Mohammed
Z.Abbas
I.Ul'Haq
M.Yusuf
S.Malik
K.Akmal
I.Khan (C)
W.Akram
S.Nawaz
A.Qadir
W.Younis (12th man)

Indian Greatest XI - there are some awesome batsman that missed out, Hazare,Vengarska etc
S.Gavasker
V.Sehwag
R.Dravid (C)
S.Tendulkar
P.Umrigar
V.Mankad
F.Engineer
K.Dev (vc)
A.Kumble
J.Srinath
B.Bedi

W Lawry
R.Ponting
D Bradman
G Chappell
A Border (vc)
S Waugh (c)
A Gilchrist (wk)
S Warne
D Lillee
Bill'Oreilly
G McGrath
K.Miller (12th man)

Interesting line up with Bill Lawry and Ricky Ponting opening? Unusual partnership but where is the second greatest Australian player, Bill Ponsford and one of the greatest openers to play the game Victor Trumper? .

Australias greatest left hander is not in the team but 12th man? That is very unusual indeed. Stan McCabe the greatest number 4 for Australia is the most notable out of the missing lot. Other than that a good team.

Pakistan Greatest XI
S.Anwar
H.Mohammed
Z.Abbas
I.Ul'Haq
M.Yusuf
S.Malik
K.Akmal
I.Khan (C)
W.Akram
S.Nawaz
A.Qadir
W.Younis (12th man)

Anwar is an interesting selection considering he was not much of a Test match cricketer but a one day batsman. Majid Khan would be someone i would opt for rather than Anwar.
I was bewildered by the fact that Javed Miandad was not selected, for he is a run machine and a prolific middle order batsmen. Interesting choices of Mohammed Yousef and Saleem Malik but you really need to look at the 1980s Pakistan sides to really capture the great middle order batsmen such as Mustaq Mohammed and Javed Miandad.
Kamran Akmal is another intersting choice i saw in your lineup. Has the name Wasim Bari ever hit you? He is by far the greatest keeper Pakistan has had and Akmal should be replaced by him. Sarfaz Nawaz is a wonderful bowler but wheres Fazal Mahmood the great Pakistani bowler who virtually carried the Pakistan team along side Hanif Mohammed during the 1960s. He is no doubt one of the greatest fast bowlers alongside Imran and Wasim.
Interesting choice of Imran Khan as your captain. I would of gone with Hanif since he has a better record but either one would do the job nicely.

Indian Greatest XI - there are some awesome batsman that missed out, Hazare,Vengarska etc
S.Gavasker
V.Sehwag
R.Dravid (C)
S.Tendulkar
P.Umrigar
V.Mankad
F.Engineer
K.Dev (vc)
A.Kumble
J.Srinath
B.Bedi

Your opening patnership is very contradictory with Gavaskar being defensive player and Sehwag being an aggressive batsmen. I would have opted for Vijay Merchant since he is similar to Gavaskar style but putting Sehwag has made me think otherwise. Dravid is another intresting choice with Hazare being left out. I would have definitely opted Dravid down the order since he is much more versatile there especially with the tail. Your middle order is very solid with Tendulkar, Umrigar and Mankad being the line up. I would have debated your choice of keeping opting for Syed Kirmani than Farokh Engineer since his glovework is better than Farokh. Srinath is another choice i would have to debated. Srinath is not really the greatest pace bowler but he is no doubt Indias second best fast bowler. The main issue for India is their fast bowling department which is lacking.

Last edited:

davo_

good kid
HSC
King2 said:
who is who? Plus, it isnt too young to know about cricket. I used to read heaps about cricket from the age of 10 and i doubt not many people do that. I just love the sport and from that age i used to do work on it. Write essays, debates etc. Also, no one here is trying to pretend they actually saw greats such as Trumper and Bradman but are trying to relate to their brilliance from what they have heard or read. Are you saying that you are a fair judge?
On what I said : if I were saying I were I fair judge I would be implying that I was old enough to have seen cricket since it began and had seen every great ever play. Obviously NOONE is going to be able to be a completely fair judge: but its just amusing to hear people such as yourself grovel off shit that you have read in the history books as if it is your own first hand knowledge.

King2

HSC
davo_ said:
On what I said : if I were saying I were I fair judge I would be implying that I was old enough to have seen cricket since it began and had seen every great ever play. Obviously NOONE is going to be able to be a completely fair judge: but its just amusing to hear people such as yourself grovel off shit that you have read in the history books as if it is your own first hand knowledge.
I just love the sport. Maybe i have more knowledge than you so you mock me for it. Whats really funny is the fact that your mocking people no apparent reason. What is your reason? I would not be surprised if you mocked a cricketing historian or any sports historian for that matter because of your egotistic attributes. If you are soo 'old' act like an adult instead of a five year old egotistic bitch. Also you are only three years older which does not make you much of a fairer judge than what i am. I would love to see you say that on a cricketing forum such as cricketmanager.co.uk or cricket.orgs main forum.

Last edited:

davo_

good kid
HSC
King2 said:
I just love the sport. Maybe i have more knowledge than you so you mock me for it. Whats really funny is the fact that your mocking people no apparent reason. What is your reason? I would not be surprised if you mocked a cricketing historian or any sports historian for that matter because of your egotistic attributes. If you are soo 'old' act like an adult instead of a five year old egotistic bitch. Also you are only three years older which does not make you much of a fairer judge than what i am. I would love to see you say that on a cricketing forum such as cricketmanager.co.uk or cricket.orgs main forum.
Can you even read and interpret what you have just read says? It would appear not after this post - well that is if you are replying to my earlier post. I am not doubting your knowledge of cricket, I am mocking the way you write your opinions; which are - lets face it- regurgitated crap. I already stated that I did not believe I was any fairer judge than you, or anyone else here. The answers to all of your questions were already in anything that I have written, I'm sorry to everyone else that I had to repeat myself.

King2

HSC
davo_ said:
Can you even read and interpret what you have just read says? It would appear not after this post - well that is if you are replying to my earlier post. I am not doubting your knowledge of cricket, I am mocking the way you write your opinions; which are - lets face it- regurgitated crap. I already stated that I did not believe I was any fairer judge than you, or anyone else here. The answers to all of your questions were already in anything that I have written, I'm sorry to everyone else that I had to repeat myself.
The way i write my opinions? LOL ! . Myabe you should just stay in a mental institution. It may help you. I also dont know how it could be regurgiated crap

King2

HSC
That is the biggest bullshit then. THen nobody (as in people who have heard he is a good player and not seen) can not say things like., 'Donald Bradman is the greatest' . Thats just insane.

Last edited:
A

adamsaclown

No they can't. Its the same thing. I don't see why theres an argument here over nothing. Your cricket knowledge should be respected, King2. It does seem to be 'regurgitated', but I don't see how its crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)