Greens call for a high speed rail link (1 Viewer)

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
If it was economically viable you'd expect to see companies and consortiums putting forward proposals.

In reality, the only proposals we've seen have been direct government proposals, or in response to calls for government tenders.

HSR will probably someday be viable in Australia as population grows, air fuel becomes more expensive and HSR technology becomes cheaper.

But in the mean time it can only exist if its an expensive government funded white elephant.

Also, if we do it now and have it under utilized for 10 or 20 years we'll have old technology when we actually need HSR. I'd like to see it built when it is viable, and built with the latest and best technology.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
You know we're in trouble as a nation when the only party proposing visionary, job creating, nation building infrastructure projects are the fkn Greens :haha:

aussie-boy

HSC
Highspeed trains use more energy (obviously) than normal ones. I said a millenium train carriage, which only holds maybe 125 people each. It was just an example for why aircraft can be cost effective.
HSR uses far less energy per passenger than air travel - a proven fact and not worth arguing about.

The thing is would you rather an at best 3-3.5 hr trip (including stops), or a 1-1.5 hour flight? Considering at the moment an airfare between Sydney and Melbourne can be had for around $50, until there is a carbon tax or the cost of Aviation fuel increases significantly I'm pretty sure most people will choose to fly.
1.The vast majority of corridor passengers are businesspeople/public servants. They don't choose how they travel, and their tickets cost a lot more than $50 (and are mainly contracted in bulk).

2. When you think about CBD-Airport travel time, check-in, security, boarding procedures - and compare it to walking directly onto the train from the street, you're talking about time savings of1-2hrs

If it was economically viable you'd expect to see companies and consortiums putting forward proposals.

In reality, the only proposals we've seen have been direct government proposals, or in response to calls for government tenders.
Disagree completely. There are several reasons why a private proposal wont happen:
*Private companies cant compulsorily acquire land along the route
*Private companies don't have access to existing stations/track/rail corridors
*the majority of the benefits are positive externalities (less pollution, regional development, alleviation of need to spend $bns on a new airport) - i.e. benefits only a Government can extract

We had a really solid proposal back in 2000 with the Speedrail consortium... it was a shame the Gov refused the requested tax concessions

Optimus Prime

Electric Beats
Wherevr sentient beings are being mistreated
HSC
he was asking why rail travel was so expensive compared to air. Also laying rails etc.

Also the extents of HSR that are on existing track aren't able to run at highspeed, it'd still take atleast 40 minutes to get out of Sydney without devoted lines. The cost of building a HSR system dwarfs that of a new airport a proven fact not worth arguing about.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
same thing, nuclear reactors aren't economically viable compared to coal anyway

HSC
N/A
Highspeed trains use more energy (obviously) than normal ones. I said a millenium train carriage, which only holds maybe 125 people each. It was just an example for why aircraft can be cost effective.
Not really. Each carriage behind the first carriage has almost zero wind resistance in front of it. There are probably reasons as to why aircraft can be cost effective, but I don't think that's one of them.

The thing is would you rather an at best 3-3.5 hr trip (including stops), or a 1-1.5 hour flight? Considering at the moment an airfare between Sydney and Melbourne can be had for around $50, until there is a carbon tax or the cost of Aviation fuel increases significantly I'm pretty sure most people will choose to fly.
Yeah well, I'm pretty sure the Greens proposal doesn't sit out there in the middle of the blue on its own. It's a response to emissions and declining oil production - two things air travel is obliterated by when it comes to rail.

Zimmerman said:

I, unlike you, do not have complete faith in the free market. I, unlike you, am a cynic. I also hold that private investment in Australian infrastructure has seen a lot more floppy white elephants than has government infrastructure (good thing they got rid of the metro).

I very much doubt that any large companies would have been willing to make the initial investment in the Wright Brothers plane. Rail infrastructure in Australia is currently poo. But there's also the fact that...

HSR will probably someday be viable in Australia as population grows, air fuel becomes more expensive and HSR technology becomes cheaper.

But in the mean time it can only exist if its an expensive government funded white elephant.

Also, if we do it now and have it under utilized for 10 or 20 years we'll have old technology when we actually need HSR. I'd like to see it built when it is viable, and built with the latest and best technology
This I agree with. Right now it's probably not needed. But there's no reason to hold off planning now, or at least placing them where they're actually needed now. Oil isn't going to be around forever and high speed trains are a magnificent replacement for air travel (or like...tour buses idk). I don't think a HSR to Perth right now is a great idea, but I don't think that putting one say, between the Western suburbs and the CBD would be a bad idea.

HSC
N/A
he was asking why rail travel was so expensive compared to air. Also laying rails etc.

Also the extents of HSR that are on existing track aren't able to run at highspeed, it'd still take atleast 40 minutes to get out of Sydney without devoted lines. The cost of building a HSR system dwarfs that of a new airport a proven fact not worth arguing about.
A new airport will be a dustbowl in 30 years.

Optimus Prime

Electric Beats
Wherevr sentient beings are being mistreated
HSC
I question your understanding of aerodynamics. Also a carbon tax/trading scheme which is pretty much inevitable, would affect HSR as well as air travel since we so heavily rely on coal. Even in france, budget airlines are still cheaper than HSR.

bio_nut

HSC
I'd still pay more for a more environmentally friendly option.

Flying short distances is irresponsible.

HSC
N/A
I question your understanding of aerodynamics.
when one thing follows behind another
less drag
Fin

Also a carbon tax/trading scheme which is pretty much inevitable, would affect HSR as well as air travel since we so heavily rely on coal. Even in france, budget airlines are still cheaper than HSR.
maybe we didn't say it clear enough last time.

it
uses
way
way
way
way
way
way
way
less
fuel

also: these trains can run on nuclear power. can planes?

also another factor: how long does it take to get from tullamarine to melbourne? how long does it take to get from Mascot to Sydney? And baggage, security, check in, parking ra ra ra ra. Not all of those would be remedied by HSR but placing part of the burden of air travel on another very efficient form of transport doesnt at all seem like a bad idea.

Last edited:

FlipX

HSC
Something like HSR shouldn't be measured in terms of a private company's projected NPV, because the social benefits will outweight the private benefits - meaning that government will need to take the initiative here.

This is about long-term nation-building vision and not simply short-sighted cost-benefit analysis. Our capital cities can't contain growing populations, and I think we can all agree that folks simply don't want to move out to satellite suburbs or city centres because of the time and poor transport infrastructure involved in the commute. Having an HSR system will go some way to resolving this.

Further, aviation is simply not sustainable, given its heavy reliance on fossil fuels. There is research in alternative biofuels, etc, but it's all progressing slowly. In the meantime, having more environmentally responsible options for transport, especially for short-haul trips, is the way forward.

Syd-Melb, for example, is such a busy air corridor - you can't argue that there's not enough demand. Ideally, a carbon pollution tax would also come into level the playing field for mass ground transport - it's another example of an externality, where social costs not being considered in private costs.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
We should build an under sea super high speed rail link between Sydney and Los Angeles that is powered by nuclear rocket trains which are faster than aircraft.

Think how cool it would be, and it might save some carbon or something, idk.

COST IS NOT AN ISSUE HERE, THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE OF OUR NATION (BUILDING). Did I mention it sounds cool, and would put us AHEAD of other countries, who we are for some reason competing with to have more cool stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)