Greg Bird glassing conviction quashed (1 Viewer)

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Greg Bird glassing conviction quashed

Greg Bird glassing conviction quashed | National News | News.com.au

• Greg Bird wounding conviction overturned
  • Judge accepts he acted in self-defence
  • Girlfriend suffered facial wounds from glass
GREG Bird is a free man after a judge quashed his conviction for glassing girlfriend Katie Milligan in the face during an argument.
Ms Milligan suffered a broken eye socket and cuts to her eye during an altercation at the former NRL player's flat in August last year.
The judge said today Mr Bird had acted in self-defence.
The former Cronulla Shark and Australian representative had been convicted of recklessly wounding his American girlfriend and was sentenced in June to at least eight months' jail time, with a maximum of 16 months.
But he launched an appeal the same day and was granted bail until this week's hearing at the Downing Centre District Court in Sydney.
Judge Michael Finnane overturned his conviction this morning.
Mr Bird and Ms Milligan had originally blamed their flatmate Brent Watson for the glassing attack but he was not at the Cronulla flat at the time of the incident.

They refused to give statements to police about the altercation and refused to give evidence at his local court trial, with Ms Milligan later saying they had been advised there was no chance of conviction.
Both gave evidence at Mr Bird's appeal hearing this week, blaming Ms Milligan's drug use and aggression for the fight which she started.
She told the court that during the fight she "lunged" at Mr Bird with a water glass as he took a "defensive position" and tried to grab her wrists.
Neither could explain how the glass broke, just saying that Ms Milligan fell to the floor clutching her eye.
Mr Bird said he tried to convince Ms Milligan to tell the truth - that it had been an accident - but Ms Milligan did not think anyone would believe Mr Bird had not been involved.
"I didn't believe anybody would believe it was an accident - here's a guy who everyone wants to believe is an aggressive footballer," she told the court.
"I didn't want his name associated with it in any way."
Judge Finnane said he believed the couple's version of events.
Ms Milligan had been "quite irrational" when she arrived at the flat that morning in an agitated state and began smashing things, ripping up photos and throwing flowers before coming at Mr Bird with the glass, he said.
"(Bird) did not respond physically ... He did not strike her or shout at her," Judge Finnane said.
"What Mr Bird did was to grab the wrists of Ms Milligan as she was attempting to (thrust) the glass into his face.
"In my opinion he acted in the belief that he had to do this (to defend himself).
"He undoubtedly is a very strong man, being a rugby league player ... He engages in a robust sport, but grabbing a wrist is in no sense a hostile act.
"Unfortunately, perhaps because he is stronger than her, her wrist was forced backwards (into her face)."

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
would he be within his rights to sue the sharks/nrl for loss of his job without a conviction etc?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Weak and overly complex explannation imo.... the simplest explannation is most likely the correct one... I still think he glassed her...

He could potentially sue sharks/nrl but regardless of his guilt they could argue that he still bought the sport into ill-repute and that's why they fired him...

bored6

HSC
No doubt he'll sue the Sharks, an utter cuntish move tbh considering the context in which he was stood down.

quik.

HSC
Seeing as he was initially convicted I don't think he has grounds to sue

I'm glad it was overturned though cos he was a good player so if another team picks him up I'll be happy

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
except he lost his contract before he was originally convicted

will-anal

Banned
HSC
I really don't think he deliberately glassed her hey.

Do people think he did because he's a foozball player and they're stupid neanderthals? It's entirely possible she was psychotic and during the confrontation she did cop a glass to the eye, but the way the original story broke it was as though he just randomly went up to her and smashed her in the face.

In conclusion, the Sharks suck and wouldn't have made the grandfinal with him anyway so who cares, ohhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaah.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
A far stronger man accidentaly glassing someone requires a leap of imagination that I'm not prepared to make.

will-anal

Banned
HSC
Dude it's entirely plausible that if a psycho comes at you armed with a glass and there is a struggle, that said psycho will end up injured.

And ok even if he did, if the recount of her actions that day are in anyway truthful, I'd have glassed her with a shovel.

oobee007

HSC
He won't sue the sharks, they fired him for 'bringing the sport into disrupute', so no matter if he was guilty or innocent the nrl can say he still brought bad publicity to the sport

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
he could argue that their actions were premature and excessive and based off media speculation

banco55

HSC
If she ends up getting seriously injured by him she'll have noone else to blame but herself. By the way if her story is genuine why did she and that idiot feel the need to come up with an elaborate cover story and if you lunge at someone with a glass you'd think your wrists etc. would get cut and not your face? He's as innocent as OJ.

Last edited:

bored6

HSC
lol tully siblings, have a read of the defence Bird used during court.

he lied on one occasion, why is it such a leap of faith that he would lie once more?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Have you ever actually been in a fight?

In the heat of the moment, when someone attacks you, anything can happen.
I've been in plenty of fights but I can't say that I'm proud of that.

Fact is that Bird is much larger and stronger than Milligan, that puts him in a position of being able to relatively easily control her in a fight. The image I have is of him playing the "why are you hitting yourself?" game but using a glass.... it's a worry when that is basically the best explanation for someones injuries....

banco55

HSC
I've been in plenty of fights but I can't say that I'm proud of that.

Fact is that Bird is much larger and stronger than Milligan, that puts him in a position of being able to relatively easily control her in a fight. The image I have is of him playing the "why are you hitting yourself?" game but using a glass.... it's a worry when that is basically the best explanation for someones injuries....
LOL even he didn't use that stupid argument. By the way if that was how it happened he'd still be in legal jeopardy I would think.

jonowang

HSC
i still think he's guilty, and he definitely is no longer a man for beating his gf. guilty or not guilty, he should never play nrl again after putting the sport into ill repute.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Anyone else find a certain irony in the conviction being quashed on white ribbon day......?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)