• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Group!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Groups!!

hey,

i was just wondering how many people you have in your classes?
you see i have only me and 2 other which gives very limited(no) choice in who is in our groups. it doesnt help when you disagree with them either.

we done a performance at the q thearte last yr and it was so crap because we could not agree on anything.

has anyone else been in this situation??

has anyone thought bout their groups yet??

Last edited:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Regardless of who is in your group, there are going to be disagreements, bitching, fighting etc. Its the nature of drama, and of drama students! But the important thing is to acknowledge this stuff first, and then work together as a group, give everyones ideas equal attention, etc. It just means you all have to work a little harder to achieve a great performance.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
GlobalOperation said:
hey,

you see i have only me and 2 other which gives very limited(no) choice in who is in our groups. it doesnt help when you disagree with them all the time either.

we done a performance at the q thearte last yr and it was so crap because we could not agree on anything.

it is frustrating when you don't get along with your group, but remember, they probably feel the same way you do at the moment. i think eventually you could end up getting along because you would have like no choice. but if you really cant stand each other then i guess the best thing would be to just grin and bear it, and maybe try to talk to the rest of the group about how you're feeling. like willsparky said its in the nature of drama students to bicker, and the more strong minded you all are, the more its going to happen. dont hesitate to ask your teacher for advice either if you have problems. good luck with the hsc :)

HSC
thanks,

i smile and nod to things where i can forsee arguments but there is just so much i cant take. last time i completly gave up and the end result was not anything to be pround of even for amatures.

i gave into that after aruging for 8 week about it and the performance was a big flop.

Last edited:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Ahh... I love that member of the group. I was lucky not to have one for HSC, but people tend to come around... this is your HSC, not some festival. Try approacing these situations differently. Rather than having an argument about it, try her idea. Now, I'm not saying sabotage it, because these ideas can often be the best, but if it doesn't work... tell her and let her know.

Our teacher forced us to put together a group contract...

*pulls out GP logbook*

basically, we used it to protect ourselves... and although it seems really year 7, its not for the sake of the contract, but rather, each person bringing to the group all the issues that tehy have had in drama over the past 6 years and telling everyone, i dont want this to happen.

Ours was like "Be open to all ideas and don't hold ideas back"... that was put in 'cause I was in a group where someone kept blocking ideas because "they didnt like them" and we've been in groups where people with great ideas never contributed.

"don't let external influences affect our project"... We had friends outside of drama, close to different members, that were less than civil... "What happens in the group, stays in the group", "Compromise", "Encourage", "accept criticism gracefully" (I got looked at when that was written down :p) "Try to keep emotion out of rehersal time"

Having this didn't dictate what we did, and did not do. This was a way for us to express the roads we want our project to undertake and the what we didnt want to happen to the group.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Our group came up fine... I'd say we were the best in the class, or so we were told.

Its written in my logbook, I'll PM it to you.

tendays

ickle firstie
HSC
The problem is the same with our upcoming GP. we have five in our class, we used to have six and it was all sorted out, but one of our darlings decided to drop out. Such is life.
I'm concerned. Very, very concerned. Not only are most of us terribly stubborn for the most part, but two of us know that most of the others will fail to pull their weight, and we've more orless been told that we will be the ones who have to pull it together, and I don't feel that that's fair.
yes, every group is bound to have the odd squabble, but people who can get along get past it and move on. I'm not liking the idea of fighting with the others and then having to pull it together with the help of one other in our group.
Care to PM me the contract, too?

kristie87

HSC
Better make that me aswell, Sparky...

Indeed, tendays is quite right...
me being the other half, I am also concerned. VERY, very concerned.

there's not much that can be possibly done when the circumstances that have arisen in our case are what they are...and having the job left up to us to 'pull it together' is not only not fair, but completely ludicrous.

The whole idea of teamwork is that EVERYONE WORKS TOGETHER AND PULLS AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF WEIGHT...however, in our case, this will NOT be happening...There's no "I" in team...but that doesn't stop it from happening...because, yes people, out there in the world there are people, not just in drama, that want everything to go THEIR WAY, and when it doesn't they sabotage others hope by just sitting down with their arms folded trying to make the rest of you feel guilty because you didn't think that their idea was 'perfect' enough to go in the performance...

one person, just one person like this is enough to ruin the whole dynamic of the group and the whole flow of the groups performance...and that is exactly what will happen in our case...so we can say goodbye to the marks the BOS will allocate to 'working as a team'...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Tendays, I can't send you PMs, you've disabled. It's on its way Kristie, I'd post it, but its not my IP if you get me. Plus there are members of my group who use the forum.

I know I've said this before, but I'll re-iterate it. The concept of creating a contract is to get your group communicating about the issues you feel may/will come up. This contract was appropriate for OUR group, but may not be for yours. Use it as a guide and see why we put certain things in there. Some will be of use to you, but your group may have issues that ours didn't. For example, we had friends outside the groups that disliked eachother and that effected us in the past, so we fixed that in the contract, and discussed it. But, we never had an issue with people not contributing to the script, so we didn't bother.

Get what I mean?

pattie

HSC
thanks will sparky, this is the "sex driven lesbian" glad to see i've got someones support! the boys bicker over everything and backstab more then girls and while they mucked around someone needed tocome up with a play..any hoo that's al done now.. but i'll remember wat i just read when it comes to group...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
pattie said:
thanks will sparky, this is the "sex driven lesbian" glad to see i've got someones support! the boys bicker over everything and backstab more then girls and while they mucked around someone needed tocome up with a play..any hoo that's al done now.. but i'll remember wat i just read when it comes to group...
Okay guys, the two of you should avoid discussing group issues in the public forums. Not the best idea, it can hurt the group and you don't discuss group issues outside of it. Be careful.

pattie

HSC
thats cool..any way thanks
did you get my email.. i'm new to this whole net thingsorry..

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
There was a "SPAM" Thread we once used for general conversation, but that was eventually deleted (didn't serve much of a purpose when the 04s left), but I think you guys will eventually make one yourselves, its a nice way of getting to know eachother I guess, but I'd hold out for a few weeks.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
our drama class has like 15 people, so we write out this confidential sheet that we give to the teacher with all the people we work well with and why, and all the people we don't want in our group and why.

it good.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
thats a really good idea Egronk. I think if we had more pressure on us then we would have done better. Majority of my class slackened off. Perhaps that's why we didn't get the marks we expected!

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
GlobalOperation said:
hey,

you see i have only me and 2 other which gives very limited(no) choice in who is in our groups. it doesnt help when you disagree with them either.

I'm in the same situation, my drama class only has 4 people (including me) and there's 2 in there that are just so competitive it's not funny. Even when i don't agree i can't say anything. :p All you can really do is go with the flow and put your own opinions in and hope you're listened to. We did a performance at the q theatre as well!! But the situation wasn't as bad because we all got along then!!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
we just started our yr 11 group pieces today...going good so far :p
our only real problem at the moment is that whenever we come up with an idea theres always one person who disagrees and whines about it so we have to try something else. kinda annoying but at least it gets us using our brains to come up with original ideas... coz admittedly what we have at the moment isnt exactly original...5 treasure hunters digging for gold, who've dug themselves into a hole so deep that they cant get out. the gold they're searching for is supposed to be symbolic of happiness or inner peace or watever and the characters have to realise that happiness comes from simple things, etc. so yeah. :p

supergirl

HSC
GlobalOperation said:
hey,

was yours that one with the cars? i remember that being a very small group.
i'm from the one which was a narrative-- the one with the barbershop quartet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)