Grunge questionnaire (1 Viewer)

tag.twix

HSC
If anyone could participate in this Survey/Questionnaire it would be greatly appreciated... this is for my society and culture PIP..

a) Your age ? and sex ?
b) What does grunge mean to you ?
c) Fav, grunge band? why ?
d) Has this band influenced you in any manner eg; changing the way you think.. why and how ?
e) do you believe this band has influenced society.. why ?
f) Fav grunge song ? why ?

thank you for your time.. any posts will be of great help ! = )

dabidolamchops

HSC
a) 17 > male
b) surfies, bananas n bang your head music (like right now)
c) offspring > original pranksters
d) yes > see outside the square [ ] .
e) dont know really
f) original prankster! > because it is

Zyklon

Banned
HSC
dabidolamchops said:
a) 17 > male
b) surfies, bananas n bang your head music (like right now)
c) offspring > original pranksters
d) yes > see outside the square [ ] .
e) dont know really
f) original prankster! > because it is
You obviously have no idea what grunge is, not only is Offspring not grunge, but they were 5 years too late to be in any grunge scene.

a) Your age ? and sex ?
16 and male.
Bad haircuts and cheesy music videos
Soundgarden, one of the more original and better bands to come out of the grunge scene.
d) Has this band influenced you in any manner eg; changing the way you think.. why and how ?
Not at all
Nope, it was Nirvana getting all the attention.
Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole, this is my favourite off dirt, and pretty much everything else they've ever done.

artfag

Banned
HSC
a) Your age ? and sex ? 18 / m
b) What does grunge mean to you ? flannellettes, ripped jeans, long hair, doc martins, heroin and suicide
c) Fav, grunge band? why ? melvins, cause they're the best
d) Has this band influenced you in any manner eg; changing the way you think.. why and how ? no
e) do you believe this band has influenced society.. why ? does it matter
f) Fav grunge song ? notorious b.i.g. - big poppa why ? . because i hate you

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
a) Your age ? and sex ?
19, Male
drugs, ripping vocals, dirty riffs,
alice in chains, because i like them more than the others
nope
not an iota
alice in chains - man in the box, not reason.. just my favorite aic song

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
possibly the worst topic ever for a PIP

now im going to go and put some shirley temple's pussy on

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
a) 17, female

b) It means singing about anything you want with as much attitude and angst as you can give.

c) I've got two. Nirvana and Pearl Jam (the early years aka Ten album)

d) Not really, but it's changed the way I view other people and realise that everyone has something shit about them, some long lost secret dying to bo told.

e) Nirvana definitely changed the way we viewed music, especially their lyrics.

f) Jeremy - Pearl Jam. This is how most kids feel like at school and most still do. It can relate to almost anyone, who hasn't thought about beating the class up or killing the guy who picks on you. It just seems so honest and exactly what kids are thinking.

Can people stop saying grunge is dead, they're just having a long break e.g Axel Rose style.

Lady_Disdain

HSC
a) Eighteen & female

b) Alternative punk, raw music, no attitudes

c) Hole

d) Hole changed the way I perceived female musicians to be- I was fifteen when I got into grunge, before that I listened mainly to things like Kittie & Garbage which were pop in their very essence.

e) Prior to Hole, how well was the female grunge scene known? The perception was that grunge were Kurt Cobain or Eddie Vedder wannabes. What about Kat Bjelland, Jennifer Finch, Kim Gordon etc. Hole brought the female gurnge scene to the mainstream and explained what it was, as well as inspiring many women.

f) Handsome & Gretel by Babes in Toyland. The women are raw, ferocious and jagged chords and rhythms. They epitomise what grunge should be about- no facade punk attitude.

tag.twix

HSC
um.. said:
possibly the worst topic ever for a PIP

now im going to go and put some shirley temple's pussy on
why do you thintk its the 'worst topic' for a PIP ?

im comparing the influences of GRUNGE on three different generations.. baby boomers, X generation and us.. who just listen to it without direct influence of being there at the time..
i havent started my PIP and i figured id do this one.. since i know more about it and i am interested.. but tell me more about what you think im all hears..

thanks everyone for your replies.. very helpful but i still need more... even if you dont listen to grunge.. tell me what you think about it.. i need as much opinions as possible.. and those who 'understand' grunge please explain more in depth i want to use your understanding of grunge and put it in my PIP

thanks again and keep it coming

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
What other stuff do you want about grunge?
Are there still good grunge acts around anymore?

P.S I love your avatar!!!

tag.twix

HSC
duckofdoom said:
What other stuff do you want about grunge?
Are there still good grunge acts around anymore?

P.S I love your avatar!!!

anything... but more emphasis on how grunge has influnced your life.. and how you view things.. for me.. i the first time i listened to nirvana was two years ago.. then from on i generally dont really care about much.. i used to be a typical shy person.. but then i dont know.. and maybe they are nto related but i just feel that nirvana and their riffs and lyrics has changed the way i see everything.. (i used to listen to Rnb soul and ballads)

if you have any thoughts about grunge.. tell me.. positive or negative it will all be useful = )

and if your parents are or brothers used to listen to grunge when it first began or have them express their feelings or how they understand grunge and the whole X generation movement

discussions about anything grunge on this thread will help too everyone can voice their thoughts on it.

thanks again for posts and msg's on the survey

haha my avatar does rock eh ? = )

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
Well I used to be your average teeny bopper 5 years ago when I was 13 who used to own all those daggy backstreet boys crap, but then I heard my cousin play Nirvana's "Polly" it was the best I had heard (at the time).

Grunge would be a lifestyle for me. It's kinda laidback but goes up to edge when it needs to be. Anyone who says grunge is so 90's can go jump, it's the best stuff ever.

I just wish there were more grunge acts today.

My family hear my Nirvana collection and just think "are you depressed" ?, or they come up with the same lame thing about a million other people say "why are you listening to junkies for?" They don't understand that because of the way they dress and express themselves through lyrics (which at times can get a bit racy e.g "Polly"), doesn't mean they fit that stereotype. I'm the only one in my fam that likes grunge, rock, punk and whatever alternative there is, which makes me the extreme black sheep in my wog family, including teh extended fam as well.

You know what. Grunge can be whatever you want it to be and that's the great thing about it. You can listen to it whne you're feeling like shit, when somethinf great's just happened or listen ot it just to piss off those nosy neighbours who play Britney non stop.

Dude, Nirvana changed a hell of alot. Music videos today wouldn't get that extreme if it weren't thanks to those guys. They were the icons for their generation so people did what they did, so their music made a huge impact on them. Well, it has on me even though I wasn't part of their generation which goes to show that grunge can affect anyone from any time period. In 20 or 30 years time kids will be learning about Kurt just like they do about Elvis in history. grunge has shaped the music scene If people like it or not.

I hope this helps. What's this for anyway? Someone should start a grunge thread ! Is it a cat or a monkey that's headbanging there?

tag.twix

HSC
I know EXACTLY what you mean.. 5 years ago.. I was 12 and I too was into all that Backstreet Boys hmm... 'crap' it was only about two years ago when is tarted listening to nirvana... my friend was playing it and i was in awe.. literally i was thinking to myself.. why was i listening to Mariah Carey, Babyface and all that mainstream pop crap when there was this... the song was Smells Like Teen Spirit

Not after long i burrowing his cd listening to their ablum 'InUtero' and 'Bleach' i would say tha tis has changed my life.. if i havent said it before in this forum.. I am asain and i only know of one other asain person who is into nirvana, my other asain friends listen to all that mainstream pop,rnb stuff.. shown on Video Hits, which I used to watch also... I remember myself sitting there on saturday and sunday morning listening and watching Video Hits, but now.. I just stopped..

I don't think there will ever be another other acts as powerful and influencial as Nirvana was..

That point you made about how students in the near future will learn about nirvana in class.. I have not considered that.. but wow, imagine being in class and learning about Nirvana.. = )

!!~! listed to polly, first i didnt understand what was going on then i read lyrics.. and other peoples interpretations and i realised the influence this song would have had on teenagers... i read that one person actually committed the same crime after a Nirvana concert..

Its just these factors and influences that i want to include to my pip, how it affected each generation.. how it influenced you and your parents and your brothers and sisters..

I really need more answers and opinions on this subject
if you can be bothered answer any of these..

Can you just state which generation you are from ? (baby boomer, Gen-X, Gen-Y)
What is your interpretation of 'grunge' ?
(this is for my assignment, i plan to list each persons different understanding and own personal meaning of grunge..)
Cobains death... why did grunge end after cobains death ?
Also what where your views of the heavy metal and techno of the time ?
was grunge a musical relief from what was considered 'pop' or 'mainstream' ?
what other music genres did you listen to ?
do you think there are any bands out there today in mainstream music which might mimic or mirror the same or similarstyles as nirvana or any band from the grunge era ?

thank you for your time

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
tag.twix said:
If anyone could participate in this Survey/Questionnaire it would be greatly appreciated... this is for my society and culture PIP..

a) Your age ? and sex ?

thank you for your time.. any posts will be of great help ! = )
a) 18 and Male.
b) A generic tag slapped on anything released 1991-93 and most bands labelled as such tended to branch off quite a lot after this period.
c) Pearl Jam because they have managed to change so much while still staying true to their roots.
d) Not really.
e) No.
f) Corduroy by Pearl Jam. Why? Because it's awesome.

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
Pearl Jam rocks- but I don't like their "Binaural" album.

Yeah, bout nirvana, you'd have to be pretty fucked up to actually do what's suggested in the song. Anyways, goes to show how it affects people. And about your ethnicity, I don't know any asian people either who like rock and the like. Keep searching your sure to find one!

I think grunge ended after Kurt's death because people were afraid that this is what happens when you take your music too serious and no one wanted their kid to be the next Kurt. Mostly the whole grunge world was totally shocked and just could"nt revive themselves, mostly people were probably scared, well that's what I think.

frog3

ye

a) 17 and Male

b) What does grunge mean to you. Grunge is simply another style of music but it is the one that encouraged me to learn guitar and become very interested in music.

c) Fav, grunge band? Nirvana...I dont want to be labelled as a 'Nirvana Gimp' but I actually love the fact that something so original could at the same time be so simple and pure. I think Nirvana had the biggest influence on the music scene in the early 90s and helped kill off 80s glory bands (not that there is anything wrong with them of course)

d) Has this band influenced you in any manner eg; Its helped me to be more open to other styles of music it...before this I was heavily influenced by my father and while his music is great this helped me find my own sound.

f) Fav grunge song. There are oh so many...At the moment out of Nirvana's lot I like the fact that you can go from a song like "Drain You" to something as different as the cover of "Oh, Me". Its great variety and I love variety.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
duckofdoom said:
Pearl Jam rocks- but I don't like their "Binaural" album.

Yeah, bout nirvana, you'd have to be pretty fucked up to actually do what's suggested in the song. Anyways, goes to show how it affects people. And about your ethnicity, I don't know any asian people either who like rock and the like. Keep searching your sure to find one!

I think grunge ended after Kurt's death because people were afraid that this is what happens when you take your music too serious and no one wanted their kid to be the next Kurt. Mostly the whole grunge world was totally shocked and just could"nt revive themselves, mostly people were probably scared, well that's what I think.
Yeah Binaural was probably their worst, although Insignificance is still awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)