• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Guantanamo Bay (1 Viewer)

patlaw

HSC
I know this should be in News, Current Affairs etc but i figured you guys might understand the situation a little better.

The US are arrogant bastards. How do they think they have the right to imprison people without any charge? I don't care if everyone in Guantanamo Bay are 100 times worse that the Bin Ladens and Husseins but every deserves human rights. Even serial killers on death row deserve human rights. How come no one is picking this up because it is right under oir noses and not enough people understand that is against every international you can think of. Not to mention the Geneva COnvention which the US actually signed!

Now i've had my 2c worth, what's ur opinion.

Jennibeans

HSC
I tend to agree though I'm probably not as passionate about it as you are. There is no way the people imprisoned there can get a fair trial. It goes against habeus corpus and every inch of morality and human rights you can think of. Thats why they're in Guantanamo Bay to begin with - because it isn't covered by the treaty. Although if Bush shows any sign of treatung the prisoners like humans he'll be accused of being soft of terrorism. Interesting to note that America won't let human rights inspectors in to check out whats going on there or to investigate the claims of torture that have come out.

santaslayer

HSC
patlaw said:
I know this should be in News, Current Affairs etc but i figured you guys might understand the situation a little better.

The US are arrogant bastards. How do they think they have the right to imprison people without any charge? I don't care if everyone in Guantanamo Bay are 100 times worse that the Bin Ladens and Husseins but every deserves human rights. Even serial killers on death row deserve human rights. How come no one is picking this up because it is right under oir noses and not enough people understand that is against every international you can think of. Not to mention the Geneva COnvention which the US actually signed!

Now i've had my 2c worth, what's ur opinion.
Terrorists of such automatically give up any basic rights they would have in normal circumstances. Human rights should only be acknowledged when one respects such values. Terrorists do not. :)

Ch00

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
Terrorists of such automatically give up any basic rights they would have in normal circumstances. Human rights should only be acknowledged when one respects such values. Terrorists do not. :)
I am a little surprised such an ignorant remark could be made by someone studying at law who you would expect to have a least a modicum of appreciation for the rule of law...

patlaw

HSC
santaslayer said:
Santaslayer, lets quote the idiotic and erratic President of the US George W shall we!
Terrorists although they are sick and horrible people deserve basic rights. The law doesn't take their personality into account. Biased interpretations might but what is written down doesn't. They at the least have the right to a trial (some have but you couldn't call it fair!) and proper, INDEPENDENT legal representation.

Jennibeans

HSC
~*HSC 4 life*~ said:
lol my teacher always tells us to be objective rather than subjective in our responses
be objective in your essays of course
but that doesn't mean you're not allowed to have an opinion. Obviously you just don't write your opinion down in the essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)