Guaranteed Medicine at UQ (1 Viewer)

Butterscotch

HSC
Hey Guys!

I just completed HSC this year with an ATAR of 99.15 (OP 1 equivalent). I was just wondering if anyone had any information as to whether this score- with my UMAT mark of 88 (58, 54, 66), - was enough to receive an offer to UQ guaranteed medical pathway - bonded or unbonded.

Thank you! :) x

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Last edited:
Reactions: Oer

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Hey Guys!

I just completed HSC this year with an ATAR of 99.15 (OP 1 equivalent). I was just wondering if anyone had any information as to whether this score- with my UMAT mark of 88 (58, 54, 66), - was enough to receive an offer to UQ guaranteed medical pathway - bonded or unbonded.

Thank you! :) x
Hey there! :)

First of all congrats on that amazing ATAR, you should be super proud!

From what I'm reading, UQ guaranteed entry uses ATAR as just a threshold, so since you're OP1 that's good enough. Now to differentiate between all the OP1 applicants the total UNAT score is used, then if two people have the same score their Section 1 is used to differentiate them.

None of this answers your question since I don't know what a typical UMAT to get in is yet, so I am going to poke around online and see what I can find for you. :)

*5 minutes later*

Ok found something useful.

Behold, the cutoffs for the past few years.

From this, it seems like you might juuuust make it for a bonded spot! So let's hope that the threshold hasn't pumped up too much this year. My fingers are crossed for you!

Go out and celebrate your ATAR now omg

Source of info:
https://future-students.uq.edu.au/apply/doctor-of-medicine/pathways-and-entry-requirements

Butterscotch

HSC
Thanks so much!!! Hahah tbh I wouldnt even mind a bonded offer! I would still be ecstatic :) thanks for your help

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Thanks so much!!! Hahah tbh I wouldnt even mind a bonded offer! I would still be ecstatic :) thanks for your help
We're all cheering for ya :')

Is UQ your first pref or are you hoping on any NSW offers?

And yeah, while bonding isn't preferable it's only a one year period of service now, and definitely better than nothing.

Butterscotch

HSC
I would love an offer from UNSW but i doubt thats happening unless they think i have a sparkling personality hahaha. I also wouldnt mind Adelaide but i heard its quite difficult for interstaters to get in? Otherwise, my UMAT is too low for Western Sydney and ive been told my section 1 is highly unlikely for Newcastle
I love the sound of UQ though, some of my friends go there and say it is great plus its 42nd in world rankings for all medical universities :)

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
I would love an offer from UNSW but i doubt thats happening unless they think i have a sparkling personality hahaha. I also wouldnt mind Adelaide but i heard its quite difficult for interstaters to get in? Otherwise, my UMAT is too low for Western Sydney and ive been told my section 1 is highly unlikely for Newcastle
I love the sound of UQ though, some of my friends go there and say it is great plus its 42nd in world rankings for all medical universities :)
Well who knows, you might just have that sparkling personality. You don't seem completely horrible for what it's worth. :p

Well at the very least you've got some options. Good luck with it all, I'll have to remember to check how you go next year. :D

Also dw too much about rankings. On an individual scale the thing that makes a university good or bad is how well that uni and its course suits you. Especially for med where your uni doesn't matter too much. But yeah, UQ would be great, and it's good that you have friends there!

How do you feel in general post-ATAR btw?

Butterscotch

HSC
quite happy hahahaha I was so worried I wouldnt get the ATAR! Been working hard to earn some cash at the moment :) gonna head off skiing next week. All in all its been a tough but really worthwhile year :p Cant wait for uni to start meeting new people and studying science :D

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
quite happy hahahaha I was so worried I wouldnt get the ATAR! Been working hard to earn some cash at the moment :) gonna head off skiing next week. All in all its been a tough but really worthwhile year :p Cant wait for uni to start meeting new people and studying science :D
Glad to hear you're happy, and skiing will be an awesome getaway, I'm jealous :p

Yes, the period of holidays followed by the excitement of first year uni is awesome. Have fun with it :D

Anyway I will stop bothering you, good luck again :)

ming mong

HSC
For UQ, don't you have to maintain an average minimum GPA of 5.0 for like 3 years in a different undergrad course? How hard is it to achieve this? Does anybody know?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

sn1p

HSC
For UQ, don't you have to maintain an average minimum GPA of 5.0 for like 3 years in a different undergrad course? How hard is it to achieve this? Does anybody know?
I only just finished first year so there's much harder stuff to come (I'm assuming), but really if you can keep up your habits from high school you'll be comfortably over that threshold (unless you have a lot of trouble with science). Just don't slack and you'll be fine - maybe one or two people each year get 'the talk' about failing to meet the threshold.

Last edited:

ming mong

HSC
I only just finished first year so there's much harder stuff to come (I'm assuming), but really if you can keep up your habits from high school you'll be comfortably over that threshold (unless you have a lot of trouble with science). Just don't slack and you'll be fine - maybe one or two people each year get 'the talk' about failing to meet the threshold.
hahar lol.... I was a crammer. Not a good way to go in uni, I guess. I got a 92 in both Physics and Bio. Do you think that'd make me have trouble with science in UQ? Since uni science seems to be really different from high school science.. But I personally really enjoyed these subjects :/

Also do the offers come by email on January 14th? I hope nothing dodgy like the UWS email shabam goes on..

It'd be nice if I could make it to UQ provisional med and meet all you other BOSers there XD. It'd be much less lonely for me (I'll be an interstater)

Last edited:

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
hahar lol.... I was a crammer. Not a good way to go in uni, I guess. I got a 92 in both Physics and Bio. Do you think that'd make me have trouble with science in UQ? Since uni science seems to be really different from high school science.. But I personally really enjoyed these subjects :/

Also do the offers come by email on January 14th? I hope nothing dodgy like the UWS email shabam goes on..

It'd be nice if I could make it to UQ provisional med and meet all you other BOSers there XD. It'd be much less lonely for me (I'll be an interstater)
You'd be fine. I know it's very easy to be scared of the unknown, but a credit average is very achieveable with a semi-decent amount of effort, esp. for people of the caliber of guaranteed entry med students.

Just focus on getting into a course you'd like first and things will go from there :D

Besides you'd be surprised how much people cram in uni, even in med :p
And you will make plenty of friends at any uni! Be happy not stressed for now hehe

sn1p

HSC

Oh you'll be fine - I did no bio and got 93 for phys (you don't even need to do phys in a BSc biomed major, which is pretty much what everyone does, but I'd recommend doing PHYS1171 for a free 7 :p). I've enjoyed uni science more so far except for chem actually.

The offers just come via QTAC whenever the main round date is. I'm actually aiming to nab a spot in a NSW uni this time around, but feel free to ask if you need any advice/clarification :D

Last edited:

ming mong

HSC
Oh you'll be fine - I did no bio and got 93 for phys (you don't even need to do phys in a BSc biomed major, which is pretty much what everyone does, but I'd recommend doing PHYS1171 for a free 7 :p). I've enjoyed uni science more so far except for chem actually.

The offers just come via QTAC whenever the main round date is. I'm actually aiming to nab a spot in a NSW uni this time around, but feel free to ask if you need any advice/clarification :D
Niiice. Thank you :D But I was wondering, if a student can easily get a minimum average GPA of 5.0 (with reasonable studying) and so get into MD in UQ, why do so many of the students try to go to a NSW uni? Aren't all medical degrees the same across Australia regardless of uni (except Bond apparently. I hear patients don't really like Bond doctors? Although I personally wouldn't mind)? I'm not sure if I should have another shot at a NSW uni or not..

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Niiice. Thank you :D But I was wondering, if a student can easily get a minimum average GPA of 5.0 (with reasonable studying) and so get into MD in UQ, why do so many of the students try to go to a NSW uni? Aren't all medical degrees the same across Australia regardless of uni (except Bond apparently. I hear patients don't really like Bond doctors? Although I personally wouldn't mind)? I'm not sure if I should have another shot at a NSW uni or not..
Well I'm not sure how many Queensland people relatively choose NSW unis over UQ, and I also imagine there are a myriad of factors that go into every individual case.

However, to make a general statement if you're given both options of:
- A 5 or 6 year pathway where you're doing med right from the get go
- A 7 year pathway where medicine entry is slightly less assured at the outset

There are valid reasons for preferring the former over the latter.

Conversely, some people might prefer the second option if they want to stay in their home state for their degree, internships and such, or if they prefer the course structure, the university itself etc.

When if comes to picking a uni really every individual should decide based on research and their own situation (that is, if they're given the choice).

(As far as your comment on Bond goes, I haven't heard nor do I endorse that kinda rumour. As far as I'm concerned if you're a competent worker with an accredited medical degree, that doctor themself matters more than the uni they went to.
I think the most striking unattractive feature of Bond is the higher fees.)

sn1p

HSC
Most people would probably just shoot for a spot in their home state because it's the most convenient and because $$

samwr

HSC
To anyone currently doing/have done UQ med or pre-med, can you tell me what textbooks you use for science for undergrad please? I have never done bio in my life, and I failed phys too lol, I should probably familiarise myself with content so I don't die in uni..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)