Guaranteed Medicine at UQ (1 Viewer)

Butterscotch

HSC
I got 88th percentile and no offer is there any chance of an offer in the second round or no?

ebon

HSC
I received a bonded offer today too but am worried about the GPA threshold of 5 for the next 3 years. What if something happens and I just happen to miss out on that GPA of at least 5? I'm pretty sure the MD entry would no longer be avail. :s

sn1p

HSC
I can't remember the exact numbers, but she got a high 80s percentile (88 or 89) with S1: 62 (or 64), S2: 51, S3: mid 50s [The last time I talked to her was November so I apologise for my crappy memory and the dodgy scores :cry:]

Hmm...I heard somewhere that unless a particular section goes above the 100 percentile range (like 80 something for section 1 or something), then each section must be over 50 to get an interview offer.. (feel free to correct me if it's wrong :D)

P.S Aaalso I got an offer for the bonded place in UQ XD but should I put down the option " I accept this offer but now wish to be considered for my higher preferences if further offers are made. I understand that if I am offered a higher preference for this semester, I forfeit my right to this offer."? The unbonded place is my higher option, and I think that the experience provided by the bonded opportunity is invaluable, but staying away from my home state for too long is a bit... I am entirely 50-50 (which sounds ridiculous because I have very little chance to get into the unbonded :D) and I wish to seek advice from the more experienced :)
Never heard of such a restriction before, although I also know of people in the 80s who got interviews last time with a solid 1+2 score. As for QTAC definitely say you're open to more offers if you've just got unbonded in front (if not you can re-jig) since disregarding however unlikely it is, if you get the unbonded offer you won't be as restricted and you can still choose to have the 'bonded experience' if you so desire later on. CONGRATS ON THE OFFER THOUGH :D

sn1p

HSC
I received a bonded offer today too but am worried about the GPA threshold of 5 for the next 3 years. What if something happens and I just happen to miss out on that GPA of at least 5? I'm pretty sure the MD entry would no longer be avail. :s
Congrats on the offer!! :D
The chances that you miss a 5 are pretty much minimal unless you potate for all 3 years. If you don't hit 5 you won't be meeting requirements for most, if not all, postgrad med unis anyway and unless you missed it because you slept for 3 years straight you'd probably struggle a lot with med :/
For now just chill and look forward to uni :)

Reactions: Oer

ebon

HSC
Thanks for the reassurance :) I think I'm just a stress head. Do you have any recommendations for which course I should choose for my first degree? Apparently the Bachelor of science with Biomed major is the best and most popular option...

sn1p

HSC
I got 88th percentile and no offer ������ is there any chance of an offer in the second round or no?
Unfortunately I'd think not since apparently 91st percentile people didn't get offers... The cutoffs are all kinds of messed up this year and you got the short end of the stick :(

Thanks for the reassurance :) I think I'm just a stress head. Do you have any recommendations for which course I should choose for my first degree? Apparently the Bachelor of science with Biomed major is the best and most popular option...
Most people pick science but really as long as you do some/most/all of the appropriate second year courses they recommend you'll be fine. Science does set you up for these pretty well and deals with any pre-req course issues you might have if you pick something else that's pretty involved. Your concerns aren't completely unfounded or anything since it's right before uni and all these terms are being thrown around without any indication of difficulty etc. Just think of it this way - if you don't know how hard it is to meet the cutoff, keep working hard and keep up your good habits, and you'll be fine :D

samwr

HSC
I'm really confused- if I got a bonded offer from UQ do I accept asap and say I would like to be considered for my higher preferences? Would waiting until the 20th decrease my slim chances of getting unbonded at UQ? And would accepting this offer forfeit my chances of getting offers from NSW unis like WSU on the 20th? Sorry for all these questions..

samwr

HSC
Also is MD better than MBBS for working overseas/ furthering studies overseas?

sn1p

HSC
I'm really confused- if I got a bonded offer from UQ do I accept asap and say I would like to be considered for my higher preferences? Would waiting until the 20th decrease my slim chances of getting unbonded at UQ? And would accepting this offer forfeit my chances of getting offers from NSW unis like WSU on the 20th? Sorry for all these questions..
That option is pretty much saying if for some reason you're offered an unbonded spot later on then you'll take it but if nothing else happens you'll just remain bonded, I think. It's probably what I'd choose. Regarding NSW unis, whatever you do with QTAC doesn't affect the offers you will or won't get from any NSW unis.

I think that's what was said at the UNSW med info night.

ebon

HSC
Yeah after you graduate from MD its a masters degree.. i think..well thats what i read on UQ website. where as the MBBS was just a bachelor degree unless you do the research year --> honours degree

samwr

HSC
That option is pretty much saying if for some reason you're offered an unbonded spot later on then you'll take it but if nothing else happens you'll just remain bonded, I think. It's probably what I'd choose. Regarding NSW unis, whatever you do with QTAC doesn't affect the offers you will or won't get from any NSW unis.

I think that's what was said at the UNSW med info night.
Thanks!

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
Accepting one offer doesn't affect your chances at getting an offer elsewhere
I would accept UQ bonded, and keep trying everywhere else.

Kinda? MD is definitely a more recognised degree, especially in the US, but either way you'd still sit USMLE in US and stuff.
Point is yes MD is better overseas, but not HUGELY.

Yeah after you graduate from MD its a masters degree.. i think..well thats what i read on UQ website. where as the MBBS was just a bachelor degree unless you do the research year --> honours degree
MD does have a compulsory research component, and counts as Level 8 AQF (I.e. Masters), but you can still do research at other unis.

Point is you shouldn't pick a degree based on just MBBS vs MD. The differences are slight. Should always pick the uni/course structure you prefer.

lighttheway

HSC
P.S Aaalso I got an offer for the bonded place in UQ XD but should I put down the option " I accept this offer but now wish to be considered for my higher preferences if further offers are made. I understand that if I am offered a higher preference for this semester, I forfeit my right to this offer."?
I posted this on medstudentsonline but I'll post it here as well about the possibility of being offered an unbonded offer in a later round.

Dear XXXXX,

All QTAC offers are Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP), included the Provisional Entry to the MD (Bonded).
Bonded places will not be changed to un-bonded places. You will shortly receive correspondence from UQ regarding your place.
Yours sincerely,

Tamalee Robbins

Unfortunately I'd think not since apparently 91st percentile people didn't get offers... The cutoffs are all kinds of messed up this year and you got the short end of the stick :(
I got 94th percentile/186 this year and got a bonded offer, whereas someone on medstudentsonline with 95th/188 got an unbonded offer. In previous years, the bonded/unbonded threshold has been around 180, so there really was quite a jump this year!

sn1p

HSC
I got 94th percentile/186 this year and got a bonded offer, whereas someone on medstudentsonline with 95th/188 got an unbonded offer. In previous years, the bonded/unbonded threshold has been around 180, so there really was quite a jump this year!
Damn you might've been 1 point off unbonded... Crazy unlucky especially considering previous trends :S

samwr

HSC
Accepting one offer doesn't affect your chances at getting an offer elsewhere
I would accept UQ bonded, and keep trying everywhere else.

Kinda? MD is definitely a more recognised degree, especially in the US, but either way you'd still sit USMLE in US and stuff.
Point is yes MD is better overseas, but not HUGELY.

MD does have a compulsory research component, and counts as Level 8 AQF (I.e. Masters), but you can still do research at other unis.

Point is you shouldn't pick a degree based on just MBBS vs MD. The differences are slight. Should always pick the uni/course structure you prefer.
Thanks Oer!

ming mong

HSC
Never heard of such a restriction before, although I also know of people in the 80s who got interviews last time with a solid 1+2 score. As for QTAC definitely say you're open to more offers if you've just got unbonded in front (if not you can re-jig) since disregarding however unlikely it is, if you get the unbonded offer you won't be as restricted and you can still choose to have the 'bonded experience' if you so desire later on. CONGRATS ON THE OFFER THOUGH :D
Thanks :D And yeah all this talk that might not be true O_O

I posted this on medstudentsonline but I'll post it here as well about the possibility of being offered an unbonded offer in a later round.

Dear XXXXX,

All QTAC offers are Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP), included the Provisional Entry to the MD (Bonded).
Bonded places will not be changed to un-bonded places. You will shortly receive correspondence from UQ regarding your place.
Yours sincerely,

Tamalee Robbins
Ahh I see. Thanks :) With this I'll enjoy my bonded experience to the fullest X) Maybe I'll see you at UQ this year, but I hope you get into the uni of your choice (if UQ isn't your no.1 desired uni) :D

And are many people considering doing the Advanced Study Program in Science (ASPinS)? I'm not exactly sure how much harder it'll make my study at UQ, but I do want to try it out and do ext. major in biomed science and ASPinS... However, would this be recommended if I wanted to be one of those people that want to make their undergrad years not too difficult and challenging to get that minimum GPA? (Gosh I sound like such a whinger. Sorry about that :()

sn1p

HSC
And are many people considering doing the Advanced Study Program in Science (ASPinS)? I'm not exactly sure how much harder it'll make my study at UQ, but I do want to try it out and do ext. major in biomed science and ASPinS... However, would this be recommended if I wanted to be one of those people that want to make their undergrad years not too difficult and challenging to get that minimum GPA? (Gosh I sound like such a whinger. Sorry about that :()
I didn't take it because it seemed like an option that was for very very keen students pursuing science (and not further going on to med) but I do know that some people take it and some drop out of it every year. I think it's up to preference really and if you're really keen for what the ASPinS offers then go for it. Getting GPA 5.0 still shouldn't be a major major issue but you might find yourself busier than your friends at various points down the line.

ming mong

HSC
I didn't take it because it seemed like an option that was for very very keen students pursuing science (and not further going on to med) but I do know that some people take it and some drop out of it every year. I think it's up to preference really and if you're really keen for what the ASPinS offers then go for it. Getting GPA 5.0 still shouldn't be a major major issue but you might find yourself busier than your friends at various points down the line.
Awesome. Thanks for the help :) It does seem interesting so I might give it a go, even if I do end up dropping out of it halfway through haha. Except the course structure for extended major in biomedical science seemed a bit different from the extended major in biomed science with ASPinS, so I'm not sure how I'll manage the dropping out thing :/
Also did you happen to hear from ASPinS students whether there were exams for that program? The lady I called up today was a bit vague on that matter and didn't exactly answer.. Sorry for all these questions and congrats on making WSU :D (Haha this sounds creepy but I just happened to see a post on MSO that was written by a 'sn1p'..)

ming mong

HSC
Also, another question I wanted to ask was whether university chemistry was much harder than high school chemistry. I didn't do yr.12 chemistry so I'm not sure if I'll manage university chemistry (especially any of the ones that might exist in second year and third year)..

sn1p

HSC
Awesome. Thanks for the help :) It does seem interesting so I might give it a go, even if I do end up dropping out of it halfway through haha. Except the course structure for extended major in biomedical science seemed a bit different from the extended major in biomed science with ASPinS, so I'm not sure how I'll manage the dropping out thing :/
Also did you happen to hear from ASPinS students whether there were exams for that program? The lady I called up today was a bit vague on that matter and didn't exactly answer.. Sorry for all these questions and congrats on making WSU :D (Haha this sounds creepy but I just happened to see a post on MSO that was written by a 'sn1p'..)
Thanks, you sneaky sneaky you :p
I didn't hear about any exams, the only thing I heard from one of my ASPinS friends was that they had an excursion. I've found that in uni nobody seems to talk about stuff related to study, but maybe that's just my imagination.

Also, another question I wanted to ask was whether university chemistry was much harder than high school chemistry. I didn't do yr.12 chemistry so I'm not sure if I'll manage university chemistry (especially any of the ones that might exist in second year and third year)..
Well for obvious reasons I can't comment on second or third year chem, but if you're feeling daunted you could take CHEM1090 to get yourself up to scratch in first sem before moving onto CHEM1100 in second sem. I didn't find uni chem (specifically CHEM1100 since 1090 is for those who didn't do high school chem, so I didn't do it) that much worse than high school chem although hybridisation and molecular orbital theory (assessed in the midsem exam) can take some time/effort to wrap your head around. Main thing about CHEM1100 was the post-midsem content was really boring imo (a lot of calculator grind/formulae, they tried to liven it up with some demos but they sucked). Some of the post-midsem theory can make you go like 'wut' but then come exam time (at least in the papers they provide online + the final that I sat) it's just more calculator grind. It's always a good idea to try to stay on top though so I suggest you at least try to fully understand everything they teach maybe on a weekly basis, so that means going over lecture notes/recordings and consulting Google sometime after the last lecture of the week. I was a bum and left it very late to revise but the ezpz final exam saved me (whew).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)