Guaranteed Medicine at UQ (2 Viewers)

samwr

HSC
Hey sn1p hehehe sorry I stalked you too.. Congrats on the offer!!! Btw how do you know it's bonded or unbonded?

ming mong

HSC
I didn't hear about any exams, the only thing I heard from one of my ASPinS friends was that they had an excursion. I've found that in uni nobody seems to talk about stuff related to study, but maybe that's just my imagination.

Well for obvious reasons I can't comment on second or third year chem, but if you're feeling daunted you could take CHEM1090 to get yourself up to scratch in first sem before moving onto CHEM1100 in second sem. I didn't find uni chem (specifically CHEM1100 since 1090 is for those who didn't do high school chem, so I didn't do it) that much worse than high school chem although hybridisation and molecular orbital theory (assessed in the midsem exam) can take some time/effort to wrap your head around. Main thing about CHEM1100 was the post-midsem content was really boring imo (a lot of calculator grind/formulae, they tried to liven it up with some demos but they sucked). Some of the post-midsem theory can make you go like 'wut' but then come exam time (at least in the papers they provide online + the final that I sat) it's just more calculator grind. It's always a good idea to try to stay on top though so I suggest you at least try to fully understand everything they teach maybe on a weekly basis, so that means going over lecture notes/recordings and consulting Google sometime after the last lecture of the week. I was a bum and left it very late to revise but the ezpz final exam saved me (whew).
Haha post HSC must make people not want to talk about study that much :D

Nice I'll take up CHEM1090! Thanks so much! And speaking about courses, I have quite the dilemma right now:

Is it recommended to do extended major in biomedical science or just a major in biomedical science? Because this http://www.som.uq.edu.au/media/405178/PreMedStudyPlans_BSc_05Mar2014.pdf premed study plan thing suggest the extended major and the amount of courses and exams don't vary, right? just 4 per semseter :/

Also, I'm not very sure how to work out the courses I need to study, as in I'm not sure what the program requires me to do.. The rules and requirements say:
Students will complete #48 units in total, comprising:

* #32 from part A and B of the BSc list
-at least #6 from part A; and
-at least #14 from part B including #12 of Level 3 or higher (ie. late year courses).
* Plus #16 from the BSc list or as electives from any other program list.

So #6 will be from the part A shown at the top in this site: http://uq.edu.au/study/program_list.html?acad_prog=2030

At least #14 from Part B will be from this: http://uq.edu.au/study/plan_display.html?acad_plan=BIOMSY2030
Which would amount to #28 if I were to take this program

So my question is where the last dot point 'Plus #16 from the BSc list or as electives from any other program list' comes from.. Is it just choosing anything to fill in all the empty places?

Last edited:

sn1p

HSC
Hey sn1p hehehe sorry I stalked you too.. Congrats on the offer!!! Btw how do you know it's bonded or unbonded?
Thanks dude :p
If it's bonded it'll say under 'notes' that it's a bonded offer.

Haha post HSC must make people not want to talk about study that much :D

Nice I'll take up CHEM1090! Thanks so much! And speaking about courses, I have quite the dilemma right now:

Is it recommended to do extended major in biomedical science or just a major in biomedical science? Because this http://www.som.uq.edu.au/media/405178/PreMedStudyPlans_BSc_05Mar2014.pdf premed study plan thing suggest the extended major and the amount of courses and exams don't vary, right? just 4 per semseter :/

Also, I'm not very sure how to work out the courses I need to study, as in I'm not sure what the program requires me to do.. The rules and requirements say:
Students will complete #48 units in total, comprising:

* #32 from part A and B of the BSc list
-at least #6 from part A; and
-at least #14 from part B including #12 of Level 3 or higher (ie. late year courses).
* Plus #16 from the BSc list or as electives from any other program list.

So #6 will be from the part A shown at the top in this site: http://uq.edu.au/study/program_list.html?acad_prog=2030

At least #14 from Part B will be from this: http://uq.edu.au/study/plan_display.html?acad_plan=BIOMSY2030
Which would amount to #28 if I were to take this program

So my question is where the last dot point 'Plus #16 from the BSc list or as electives from any other program list' comes from..
Major/extended major is up to you - I think extended major has some more requirements re: courses you have to do, rather than the number of courses you take per semester. The last 16 units I'm not entirely sure about, but they sound like elective units that you can take from either the BSc list or from other programs e.g. a friend did linguistics both semesters.

ming mong

HSC
The last 16 units I'm not entirely sure about, but they sound like elective units that you can take from either the BSc list or from other programs e.g. a friend did linguistics both semesters.
Awesome. Thank you :) So I can just pick any #16 from the BSc list? Nice. Maybe I'll do some of the maths lol (I'm a maths nerd :p) Would you happen to know which maths course is the most fun and engaging (or just easy)? hahah

Or would it be more wise to just follow the premed study plan? I don't really want to do NUTR2003 or CHEM1200 (but I have a feeling that CHEM1200 should be studied for med.. I just hope that it's not a pre-req :().. I'm hoping to call up the academic advisors and somehow discuss without me having to go all the way to UQ D: but my gut feeling's telling me that that won't really work so I wish to request advice and knowledge from the students ;v; Haha this course thing and timetable things that I need to prepare for are really stressing me out

sn1p

HSC
Awesome. Thank you :) So I can just pick any #16 from the BSc list? Nice. Maybe I'll do some of the maths lol (I'm a maths nerd :p) Would you happen to know which maths course is the most fun and engaging (or just easy)? hahah

Or would it be more wise to just follow the premed study plan? I don't really want to do NUTR2003 or CHEM1200 (but I have a feeling that CHEM1200 should be studied for med.. I just hope that it's not a pre-req :().. I'm hoping to call up the academic advisors and somehow discuss without me having to go all the way to UQ D: but my gut feeling's telling me that that won't really work so I wish to request advice and knowledge from the students ;v; Haha this course thing and timetable things that I need to prepare for are really stressing me out
No idea about NUTR2003 but I can tel you that I didn't do CHEM1200, and neither did a lot of my friends. MATH1051 is ezpz if you can get your head around matrices, and MATH1052 can be done in second sem (at least that's what I'd recommend) if you feel that 1051 isn't hard. It can get a bit hard to visualise at times though (you'll see what u mean once you take it hehehe). Really following the study plans comes into play during second year with the anatomy/physiology blah blah blah. They give you a list of courses they recommend at the premed welcome during O-week.

ming mong

HSC
No idea about NUTR2003 but I can tel you that I didn't do CHEM1200, and neither did a lot of my friends. MATH1051 is ezpz if you can get your head around matrices, and MATH1052 can be done in second sem (at least that's what I'd recommend) if you feel that 1051 isn't hard. It can get a bit hard to visualise at times though (you'll see what u mean once you take it hehehe). Really following the study plans comes into play during second year with the anatomy/physiology blah blah blah. They give you a list of courses they recommend at the premed welcome during O-week.
Cool I want to try out MATH1051 :D
Have you tried SCIE1000? Is it easy or would MATH1051 be more fun/better? I want to replace SCIE1000 with MATH1051 but I'm super paranoid that someone in the future will go "hmmm you didn't take SCIE1000 did you? Now you can't get into med/will be disadvantaged severely!"

sn1p

HSC
Cool I want to try out MATH1051 :D
Have you tried SCIE1000? Is it easy or would MATH1051 be more fun/better? I want to replace SCIE1000 with MATH1051 but I'm super paranoid that someone in the future will go "hmmm you didn't take SCIE1000 did you? Now you can't get into med/will be disadvantaged severely!"
I didn't take SCIE so I guess I'm screwed :p
I pretty much replaced SCIE with 1051 and I think I'm still fine haha.

ming mong

HSC
I didn't take SCIE so I guess I'm screwed :p
I pretty much replaced SCIE with 1051 and I think I'm still fine haha.
Haha sorry I just got a bit paranoid. I'm all calm now :D

By the way, may I ask if you're one of those really really good at maths people? Like 100 for maths 3u HSC and 98 for maths 4u OvO
I heard that MATH1051 is more maths 3u than 4u, and admittedly although I enjoyed maths 4u I did struggle a bit with the latter topics (I got 92 for my exam mark. Do you think that I will struggle with MATH1051?)

Thank you so much for your time x) I am so greatful to you!!

sn1p

HSC

Haha sorry I just got a bit paranoid. I'm all calm now :D

By the way, may I ask if you're one of those really really good at maths people? Like 100 for maths 3u HSC and 98 for maths 4u OvO
I heard that MATH1051 is more maths 3u than 4u, and admittedly although I enjoyed maths 4u I did struggle a bit with the latter topics (I got 92 for my exam mark. Do you think that I will struggle with MATH1051?)

Thank you so much for your time x) I am so greatful to you!!
Um I got 99 for 3U and 96 (I think?) for 4U but really that doesn't mean you'll get rekt if you're somewhere in the 90s for those. MATH1051's second half is really easy if you've done 3/4U and there's really nothing extraordinarily difficult or anything, most of it is standard. MATH1052's final exam (sem 2 2015) had a question which had everyone going boo boo, but is pretty easy if you've done the heavy heavy integration that 4U demands (it was a substitution followed by integration by parts). The matrices is easy until maybe vector spaces (which you might need a bit of help understanding but in the end it's just a quiz question + maybe one question in the final), which is the last thing you'll do in the first half of 1051 so you'll be fine imo :D

ming mong

HSC
Um I got 99 for 3U and 96 (I think?) for 4U but really that doesn't mean you'll get rekt if you're somewhere in the 90s for those. MATH1051's second half is really easy if you've done 3/4U and there's really nothing extraordinarily difficult or anything, most of it is standard. MATH1052's final exam (sem 2 2015) had a question which had everyone going boo boo, but is pretty easy if you've done the heavy heavy integration that 4U demands (it was a substitution followed by integration by parts). The matrices is easy until maybe vector spaces (which you might need a bit of help understanding but in the end it's just a quiz question + maybe one question in the final), which is the last thing you'll do in the first half of 1051 so you'll be fine imo :D
Hahah all the people who said that MATH1051 was easy were those that are really good at maths lol X) You gifted people :p
I did hear something about MATH1061 being very easy. Is that true?
And I changed my semester 1 courses to:

- BIOL1020
- CHEM1090
- PHYS1171
- MATH1051

Do you think that this'll be too much? (Sorry, I have no idea how much more work uni science is going to be). These subjects kind of remind me of high school... xD

Thank you

sn1p

HSC
Hahah all the people who said that MATH1051 was easy were those that are really good at maths lol X) You gifted people :p
I did hear something about MATH1061 being very easy. Is that true?
And I changed my semester 1 courses to:

- BIOL1020
- CHEM1090
- PHYS1171
- MATH1051

Do you think that this'll be too much? (Sorry, I have no idea how much more work uni science is going to be). These subjects kind of remind me of high school... xD

Thank you
I had a go at a few MATH1061 assignment questions without any background info (for obvious reasons :p) and I struggled real hard haha. It's a lot more 'abstract' in that a lot of questions are proofs of seemingly intuitive/logical things, but the proofs aren't that obvious, at least to someone who hasn't done the course ofc. You'll be fine with that workload, since you'll have some bio background (whereas I didn't and I struggled through the first two weeks of 1020), phys is easy, maths is easy (I still don't think you'll find it that bad) and CHEM1090 shouldn't be too bad.

ming mong

HSC
I had a go at a few MATH1061 assignment questions without any background info (for obvious reasons :p) and I struggled real hard haha. It's a lot more 'abstract' in that a lot of questions are proofs of seemingly intuitive/logical things, but the proofs aren't that obvious, at least to someone who hasn't done the course ofc. You'll be fine with that workload, since you'll have some bio background (whereas I didn't and I struggled through the first two weeks of 1020), phys is easy, maths is easy (I still don't think you'll find it that bad) and CHEM1090 shouldn't be too bad.
Thank you so much for your advice >< I'll have fun with matrices hahah :D

Also, just a few more questions (actually a lot) in regards to sign ons and just courses in general:
- Do you know what PASS (Peer Assisted Study Sessions) is? Is it different from tutorials?

- What about Workshops? Do you have to sign up for them somehow if they're not actually a part of the course? I would like to if such things exist for each subject :)

- And the UQ website says that the contact hours of CHEM1090 is 2L 2W and 1T, but SInet says that I'll just need workshops and lectures. Do tutorials for these like CHEm1090 exist, and is the reason that they don't feature on SInet because the students don't need to attend them?

- If on the timetableplanner.app.uq.edu.au it says that I'm to take, lets say L01 for PHYS1171 at 10am, then all I need to do is wait to click on the L01 PHYS1171 at 10am at the sign on thing, right? And if I continue to do that for all my courses and tutorials, etc. then my timetable will be completed..? (Sorry, I just want to confirm that I understood the process. I have many a times when I seriously question my intelligence)

- On average, how long will it take to walk from one end of the campus to the other? (Haha you don't need to answer this one. I was just thinking that if there were no breaks between 2 subjects but if they were held at buildings on the opposite side of the campus then I would have to sprint XD)

- This is my paranoia coming out but since I did 4u maths, I don't need to take MATH1050 to do MATH1051, right? (Sorry. I have this timid, terrible personality :frown2: )

Thanks and you are one awesome person, sn1p!!

Last edited:

sn1p

HSC
Thank you so much for your advice >< I'll have fun with matrices hahah :D

Also, just a few more questions (actually a lot) in regards to sign ons and just courses in general:
- Do you know what PASS (Peer Assisted Study Sessions) is? Is it different from tutorials?

- What about Workshops? Do you have to sign up for them somehow if they're not actually a part of the course? I would like to if such things exist for each subject :)

- And the UQ website says that the contact hours of CHEM1090 is 2L 2W and 1T, but SInet says that I'll just need workshops and lectures. Do tutorials for these like CHEm1090 exist, and is the reason that they don't feature on SInet because the students don't need to attend them?

- If on the timetableplanner.app.uq.edu.au it says that I'm to take, lets say L01 for PHYS1171 at 10am, then all I need to do is wait to click on the L01 PHYS1171 at 10am at the sign on thing, right? And if I continue to do that for all my courses and tutorials, etc. then my timetable will be completed..? (Sorry, I just want to confirm that I understood the process. I have many a times when I seriously question my intelligence)

- On average, how long will it take to walk from one end of the campus to the other? (Haha you don't need to answer this one. I was just thinking that if there were no breaks between 2 subjects but if they were held at buildings on the opposite side of the campus then I would have to sprint XD)

- This is my paranoia coming out but since I did 4u maths, I don't need to take MATH1050 to do MATH1051, right? (Sorry. I have this timid, terrible personality :frown2: )

Thanks and you are one awesome person, sn1p!!

Oook this post is a bit loaded so I'll try my best not to miss anything ahaha

- PASS differs depending on the course, but in general there'll be some students who got 6 or 7 in the course there to help you. Some PASS classes have in-class worksheets/activities like BIOL1020 (but I did hear from somewhere that they're getting rid of it?), whereas some others are a complete waste of time *cough CHEM1100 cough* where people just end up doing the sheet(s) that they were meant to complete before PASS. PASS attendance is used as a compulsory hurdle for some courses, while others you can just not turn up the whole semester (hello CHEM1100). If you get good PASS leaders then it's usually worthwhile going unless you're an MLG 360 no scoping pro player at the course and you're 100% confident.

- If workshops are included in the course then you'll just be signing on for them (exception is BIOL1040's 'compulsory' Monday workshops, which are listed as lectures so you're just signing onto a lecture stream). As far as I'm aware there shouldn't be classes outside of what's listed in the ECP except for revision lectures which some lecturers will hold, but they'll notify you about those when appropriate.

- I actually have no idea why that tutorial hour is there... Maybe ask the course coordinator about it since I have no idea what the contact hours should be :S

- Yup you just gotta sign onto the stream you want (and make sure it was actually successful) and you'll be all good to go. A few sign-on tips: camp there like 2 minutes before the official sign on time refreshing, sign on to lectures last because they fill up the slowest, and even if you don't make it to the stream you want you can just attend it anyway because $wag, sign on to things with smaller class sizes first (they'd be your tutes/PASS classes etc.), but also try to sign on to your desired prac slot early because you don't want a random 3 hour prac messing up your entire timetable if you don't get the time you want (so I'd probably go for pracs first), having multiple options for the timeslot you want really helps BUT don't get complacent with those since certain popular timeslots fill up VERY VERY quickly (and I mean VERY - I had a PASS class or something that had 2 or 3 sessions on the timeslot I wanted and I barely signed on quickly enough). Oh and a timetabling tip too - LEAVE TIME FOR LUNCH or you'll end up skipping classes left right and centre because you want to have lunch. If you don't get the class you want you can keep camping there and refreshing every now and then because people will often go back and make changes to their sign ons.

- If you have to move from one end of the campus to the other you can't dawdle if you want to make it to class on time. I'd say a good brisk walking pace should be all good, or you can be like me and never be on time ;)

- No need for MATH1050 to do MATH1051 unless you didn't do 4U/Maths C/whatever equivalent.

ming mong

HSC
Oook this post is a bit loaded so I'll try my best not to miss anything ahaha

- PASS differs depending on the course, but in general there'll be some students who got 6 or 7 in the course there to help you. Some PASS classes have in-class worksheets/activities like BIOL1020 (but I did hear from somewhere that they're getting rid of it?), whereas some others are a complete waste of time *cough CHEM1100 cough* where people just end up doing the sheet(s) that they were meant to complete before PASS. PASS attendance is used as a compulsory hurdle for some courses, while others you can just not turn up the whole semester (hello CHEM1100). If you get good PASS leaders then it's usually worthwhile going unless you're an MLG 360 no scoping pro player at the course and you're 100% confident.

- If workshops are included in the course then you'll just be signing on for them (exception is BIOL1040's 'compulsory' Monday workshops, which are listed as lectures so you're just signing onto a lecture stream). As far as I'm aware there shouldn't be classes outside of what's listed in the ECP except for revision lectures which some lecturers will hold, but they'll notify you about those when appropriate.

- I actually have no idea why that tutorial hour is there... Maybe ask the course coordinator about it since I have no idea what the contact hours should be :S

- Yup you just gotta sign onto the stream you want (and make sure it was actually successful) and you'll be all good to go. A few sign-on tips: camp there like 2 minutes before the official sign on time refreshing, sign on to lectures last because they fill up the slowest, and even if you don't make it to the stream you want you can just attend it anyway because $wag, sign on to things with smaller class sizes first (they'd be your tutes/PASS classes etc.), but also try to sign on to your desired prac slot early because you don't want a random 3 hour prac messing up your entire timetable if you don't get the time you want (so I'd probably go for pracs first), having multiple options for the timeslot you want really helps BUT don't get complacent with those since certain popular timeslots fill up VERY VERY quickly (and I mean VERY - I had a PASS class or something that had 2 or 3 sessions on the timeslot I wanted and I barely signed on quickly enough). Oh and a timetabling tip too - LEAVE TIME FOR LUNCH or you'll end up skipping classes left right and centre because you want to have lunch. If you don't get the class you want you can keep camping there and refreshing every now and then because people will often go back and make changes to their sign ons.

- If you have to move from one end of the campus to the other you can't dawdle if you want to make it to class on time. I'd say a good brisk walking pace should be all good, or you can be like me and never be on time ;)

- No need for MATH1050 to do MATH1051 unless you didn't do 4U/Maths C/whatever equivalent.
Haha ok thank you. That cleared a lot up for me. But you really are such a nice person, sn1p ;v; Thank you so much

I don't have that many questions left and I feel absolutely terrible for bothering you for so long.. But I just wanted to know whether you can know which lecturer has which stream before you start attending the classes :) I heard that some lecturers (like Michael Jennings?) was an awesome lecturer, but others are not so fantastic..

Thank you

Last edited:

sn1p

HSC
Haha ok thank you. That cleared a lot up for me. But you really are such a nice person, sn1p ;v; Thank you so much

I don't have that many questions left and I feel absolutely terrible for bothering you for so long.. But I just wanted to know whether you can know which lecturer has which stream before you start attending the classes :) I heard that some lecturers (like Michael Jennings?) was an awesome lecturer, but others are not so fantastic..

Thank you
It's ok I'm currently recovering from wisdom removal surgery and it's super boring and I have nothing to do all day zzzz. I don't think you're able to know which lecturer gets which stream which kinda stinks, and another thing is certain courses don't have every stream recorded so if you attend one with a not that great lecturer you could be missing out on recordings from a really good one, which stinks even more. The only way to know really is to go to your stream and ask others (or the lecturer might tell you during the first lecture) in other streams. I have no idea who Michael Jennings is btw :I

My original reason for joining was actually because I, like almost everyone else in Sydney, knew absolute jack all about UQ before so I thought it'd be nice if I could at least shed light on some things to others so the time between QTAC offers and O-week would be as stress-free as possible :)

Last edited:

ming mong

HSC
It's ok I'm currently recovering from wisdom removal surgery and it's super boring and I have nothing to do all day zzzz. I don't think you're able to know which lecturer gets which stream which kinda stinks, and another thing is certain courses don't have every stream recorded so if you attend one with a not that great lecturer you could be missing out on recordings from a really good one, which stinks even more. The only way to know really is to go to your stream and ask others (or the lecturer might tell you during the first lecture) in other streams. I have no idea who Michael Jennings is btw :I

My original reason for joining was actually because I, like almost everyone else in Sydney, knew absolute jack all about UQ before so I thought it'd be nice if I could at least shed light on some things to others so the time between QTAC offers and O-week would be as stress-free as possible :)
Oh no are you ok? I heard that wisdom tooth removal was really painful D: I hope it isn't too painful for you.. Well sleeping the pains off is good too haha :D

Oh man, I hope luck is on my side and I get nice lecturers who record X) And I'm not sure who Michael Jennings is either haha. Just saw that name on other forums :)

Aw man. You're reason to join is so nice ;v; You're the best!!

Last edited:

sn1p

HSC
Oh no are you ok? I heard that wisdom tooth removal was really painful D: I hope it isn't too painful for you.. Well sleeping the pains off is good too haha :D

Oh man, I hope luck is on my side and I get nice lecturers who record X) And I'm not sure who Michael Jennings is either haha. Just saw that name on other forums :)

Aw man. You're reason to join is so nice ;v; You're the best!!
Haha thanks :')

I haven't had to take painkillers because I've somehow avoided any post-surgery pain and just got the standard swelling, but it's going down now and things look pretty good for the most part :D

ming mong

HSC
Haha thanks :')

I haven't had to take painkillers because I've somehow avoided any post-surgery pain and just got the standard swelling, but it's going down now and things look pretty good for the most part :D
That's good :D I heard that the risk of infection after a surgery is the most dangerous part so take care ><!!

EDIT: PS Do you have any recommendations on how spaced the tutorials, lectures and practicals should be? For example, should a tutorial not be straight after a lecture since you'll tend to prepare for tutorials right before it starts or something :/

Last edited:

sn1p

HSC
That's good :D I heard that the risk of infection after a surgery is the most dangerous part so take care ><!!

EDIT: PS Do you have any recommendations on how spaced the tutorials, lectures and practicals should be? For example, should a tutorial not be straight after a lecture since you'll tend to prepare for tutorials right before it starts or something :/
Any prep I did (if any) was done the day before so that wasn't a big deal. I'm the type of person who likes to do everything back to back to back to get everything over and done with, but if you can't handle everything all clumped together then you should put some breaks. I find that a chunk of classes separated by an hour's lunch break is totally fine.

ming mong

HSC
Any prep I did (if any) was done the day before so that wasn't a big deal. I'm the type of person who likes to do everything back to back to back to get everything over and done with, but if you can't handle everything all clumped together then you should put some breaks. I find that a chunk of classes separated by an hour's lunch break is totally fine.
Sorry for getting back to you so late. Buying and packing stuff to go interstate is so hectic ;;
But thank you so much for your advice!!! Thanks to you things are going swimmingly!

By the way, do you know if the pdfs of textbooks can be easily attained? Textbooks are so expensive and I'm not sure if there'll be enough copies in the library haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)