Guaranteed Medicine at UQ (1 Viewer)

sn1p

HSC
Sorry for getting back to you so late. Buying and packing stuff to go interstate is so hectic ;;
But thank you so much for your advice!!! Thanks to you things are going swimmingly!

By the way, do you know if the pdfs of textbooks can be easily attained? Textbooks are so expensive and I'm not sure if there'll be enough copies in the library haha
You most likely won't need textbooks apart from the bio ones and the STAT1201 one which is 30 something bucks, and BIOL1020's is online and subject to chopping and changing so PDFs might not help even if they exist, while BIOL1040's textbook I see as more optional, just that it helped me make notes and supplemented the lectures pretty well for the most part. You might get a pdf of it from other students but otherwise I didn't check the library since you have to buy mastering biology access, and co-op's one is bundled with mastering bio so I bought my book. If you're going to buy a book, it's a good idea to join UQ Textbook Exchange on fb to get second hand books at lower prices.

ming mong

HSC
You most likely won't need textbooks apart from the bio ones and the STAT1201 one which is 30 something bucks, and BIOL1020's is online and subject to chopping and changing so PDFs might not help even if they exist, while BIOL1040's textbook I see as more optional, just that it helped me make notes and supplemented the lectures pretty well for the most part. You might get a pdf of it from other students but otherwise I didn't check the library since you have to buy mastering biology access, and co-op's one is bundled with mastering bio so I bought my book. If you're going to buy a book, it's a good idea to join UQ Textbook Exchange on fb to get second hand books at lower prices.
Is this the access code? And is Mastering biology different from the Campbell stuff?
Also, on the co-op pages, will it be better to buy the textbooks that are labelled as 'prescribed by your lecturer'? Buying textbooks is always so stressful haha I feel insecure without them yet I don't want to waste money buying useless ones (which I end up doing many a times ><)
Thank you

Edit: When the Course Profile says that the latest edition of a textbook is required, then is it still ok to get an older edition of the same textbook?

Last edited:

sn1p

HSC
Is this the access code? And is Mastering biology different from the Campbell stuff?
Also, on the co-op pages, will it be better to buy the textbooks that are labelled as 'prescribed by your lecturer'? Buying textbooks is always so stressful haha I feel insecure without them yet I don't want to waste money buying useless ones (which I end up doing many a times ><)
Thank you

Edit: When the Course Profile says that the latest edition of a textbook is required, then is it still ok to get an older edition of the same textbook?
Yeah Mastering Bio is kind of an additional thing to the textbook but it's designed to be used alongside Campbell (still this doesn't mean Campbell is a 100% must get, though, so you could just purchase the access code). As for all this other stuff, just wait for your first lecture for every course when they'll tell you about textbooks unless it's specifically said tha a book is compulsory, in which case you can get it beforehand. It's also helpful to ask others who've done the course about whether textbooks are needed. Co-op should be a last resort since it's expensive, and the 'prescribed by your lecturer' I don't remember seeing since I didn't go online to browse for books, but I'm assuming you can just ignore it for now. If they want latest edition, they will probably tell you first lecture about why - it could be that the order of things have been shuffled around so if they want to put textbook page references it's easier if everyone has the same edition, or it could be because something's been tweaked or added or blah blah blah. If the reason isn't really major then I don't see why you can't get an older edition, and if they don't tell you why then you either don't get the book or if you're super paranoid and have a lot of money to spare or if you know it'll help then go for the latest edition. Again, don't be too trigger happy re: textbooks since you won't need most of them.

ming mong

HSC
Yeah Mastering Bio is kind of an additional thing to the textbook but it's designed to be used alongside Campbell (still this doesn't mean Campbell is a 100% must get, though, so you could just purchase the access code). As for all this other stuff, just wait for your first lecture for every course when they'll tell you about textbooks unless it's specifically said tha a book is compulsory, in which case you can get it beforehand. It's also helpful to ask others who've done the course about whether textbooks are needed. Co-op should be a last resort since it's expensive, and the 'prescribed by your lecturer' I don't remember seeing since I didn't go online to browse for books, but I'm assuming you can just ignore it for now. If they want latest edition, they will probably tell you first lecture about why - it could be that the order of things have been shuffled around so if they want to put textbook page references it's easier if everyone has the same edition, or it could be because something's been tweaked or added or blah blah blah. If the reason isn't really major then I don't see why you can't get an older edition, and if they don't tell you why then you either don't get the book or if you're super paranoid and have a lot of money to spare or if you know it'll help then go for the latest edition. Again, don't be too trigger happy re: textbooks since you won't need most of them.
Ahh I see. Thank you :D I'll wait until my first lecture!!

By the way, how's your O-week at WSU? Going well I hope :)

sn1p

HSC
Ahh I see. Thank you :D I'll wait until my first lecture!!

By the way, how's your O-week at WSU? Going well I hope :)
As usual it's a wee bit intimidating with all these hurdle assessments/ways to fail etc. I'm sure it'll be fine once everything really starts up though :p

ming mong

HSC
As usual it's a wee bit intimidating with all these hurdle assessments/ways to fail etc. I'm sure it'll be fine once everything really starts up though :p
Haha yeah I hope so too x) I still have no idea what's going on and just what are all these quizzes that I need to do O_O but haha first years are all in the same boat after all xP

I hope you had a good first week of lectures and whatnot :D!!

sn1p

HSC
Haha yeah I hope so too x) I still have no idea what's going on and just what are all these quizzes that I need to do O_O but haha first years are all in the same boat after all xP

I hope you had a good first week of lectures and whatnot :D!!
Sounds like Sapling ;)
Tired from medcamp, PBL is -.-, lectures have been alright so far. Just gotta keep up the grind and everything should fall into place. Good luck for the coming years! Any more questions feel free to shoot a PM or something :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)