Guidance for a Year 12 (1 Viewer)

gelobro

HSC
Hey guys, I need a little bit of help with choosing a degree because I have been extremely caught up. So right now my preferences are Mechanical Engineering at UNSW, Mechanical Engineering at UOW and Marketing at UTS. I feel that engineering suits me a lot and I've done plenty of research and various career quizzes to show this but I'm doubting my ability to do the mathematics involved in the course successfully, even if I do put in work after HSC (I do general, I know, I know, I already got roasted for this in another thread). On top of that, would I be better off at UOW or UNSW? Because UNSW assumed knowledge is EX1 and UOW is just mathematics. Also how are the timetables for each?

If I were to choose something besides engineering it would definitely be a business degree in marketing. I just need to decide whether I should pursue engineering or not, or pretty much whether I am capable. I know that graduate pay is better in engineering as well as job prospects and that kind of makes me want to do engineering more but I don't think I would be unhappy doing business.

Please don't trash me, just please give me your opinions and advice on to what you think I should do. Thanks in advanced!

Extra information: I know it is barely anything compared to university, but I rank well in physics and engineering studies and are very interested in them. General math is also super easy for me, I barely put any work into it.

astroman

HSC
Whatever you want to be doing for the next 50 years of your life.

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
Are you sure you want to be doing engineering? You will be swamped with applied mathematics and solving problems most of the time. Physics is something you need to have a good grasp of for mechanical or it's over

The maths in first year engineering at UNSW would be brutal for a general maths student... should at least do bridging course if you gonna go UNSW. I'd say the difficulty of it for you would be equivalent to walking a hill which is 80degrees off the horizontal. Engineering is not a joke!

Give it a go if you are really determined for engineering

I never thought that I liked psychology until I tried it. Gotta try it before we judge

D94

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I need a little bit of help with choosing a degree because I have been extremely caught up. So right now my preferences are Mechanical Engineering at UNSW, Mechanical Engineering at UOW and Marketing at UTS. I feel that engineering suits me a lot and I've done plenty of research and various career quizzes to show this but I'm doubting my ability to do the mathematics involved in the course successfully, even if I do put in work after HSC (I do general, I know, I know, I already got roasted for this in another thread). On top of that, would I be better off at UOW or UNSW? Because UNSW assumed knowledge is EX1 and UOW is just mathematics. Also how are the timetables for each?
Just because the assumed knowledge at uow is mathematics, that doesnt mean what you learn is 'easier' at uow. They have an accredited engineering degree, so it must meet standards set out by engineers australia. There is absolutely no way engineers australia would accredit a sub-par degree. There is a level of accountability, we can't have improperly qualified engineers building bridges or planes or running nuclear plants etc.

Uow will be as tough as unsw, I have no doubt - whether the teaching is of similar standard or better or worse, is unknown to me.

gelobro

HSC
Just because the assumed knowledge at uow is mathematics, that doesnt mean what you learn is 'easier' at uow. They have an accredited engineering degree, so it must meet standards set out by engineers australia. There is absolutely no way engineers australia would accredit a sub-par degree. There is a level of accountability, we can't have improperly qualified engineers building bridges or planes or running nuclear plants etc.

Uow will be as tough as unsw, I have no doubt - whether the teaching is of similar standard or better or worse, is unknown to me.
I see, thanks. However would it mean that there would be more support in UOW since they assume students only know mathematics?

Flop21

HSC
If you really want to do Engineering, then I think go for it. Make sure you've done a lot of research into what type of engineering you like best, and the job prospects.

Do you like maths?

Reason I ask that is because you'll have to somehow catch up on the whole mathematics course (a 2 year HSC course) and 3u maths. But like you said UOW apparently only have mathematics as assumed?? (dunno, just going off what you said). Then obviously you'll be doing some hard math courses in uni.

I say do whatever you have a passion for and you think you'd be suited to. But make sure you do a lot of research into whatever career path you're interested in / or subject / degree.

gelobro

HSC
If you really want to do Engineering, then I think go for it. Make sure you've done a lot of research into what type of engineering you like best, and the job prospects.

Do you like maths?

Reason I ask that is because you'll have to somehow catch up on the whole mathematics course (a 2 year HSC course) and 3u maths. But like you said UOW apparently only have mathematics as assumed?? (dunno, just going off what you said). Then obviously you'll be doing some hard math courses in uni.

I say do whatever you have a passion for and you think you'd be suited to. But make sure you do a lot of research into whatever career path you're interested in / or subject / degree.
I'm definite with my decision for mechanical. As for math, I really don't know whether I like it or not... With general I don't mind doing since it is super easy but I know it can't compare to mathematics or EX1.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone!

gelobro

HSC
how is the growth and unemployment for mechanical engineering looking? I had a look at job outlook and it doesn't look very promising (growth over past 2 years), however it seems like it was last updated 2012?

Last edited:

gelobro

HSC
Also I see that employment for marketing is strong in Sydney and the inner-west, but not so much for mechanical engineering. Sorry, just seeing these things scare me so much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)