• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

guidance for degree options for postgraduate DMD (1 Viewer)

ScuffedlineTV

HSC
my dream is studying dental medicine at usyd.
i just got my atar back of 95.50

What would u guys recommend me to consider looking into at usyd as a potential undergrad i can take to get into DMD postgrad (combined with GAMSAT)

Right now my top preference is biomedical engineering double with medical science

i am also looking at pharmacy and oral health as potential candidates.

guidance would be greatly appreciated. i would like to know if the degrees are considered more difficult to achieve a high wham/gpa, and how relevant they are to GAMSAT.

thanks everyone in advance

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Congratulations on your ATAR! The Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)/Bachelor of Science (Medical Science) is a double degree. This means that it provides you with knowledge and skills relevant to more than one field, potentially giving you access to a wider range of employment opportunities. At the same time, this double degree would still enable you to lead a career if you end up not receiving an offer for the Doctor of Dental Medicine. A potential disadvantage of this double degree is that it takes 5 years to complete. It is a potential disadvantage because it depends on your perception and preferences. Some students may wish to finish their studies as soon as possible, whereas others are happy to take longer to complete their studies.

The Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours)/Master of Pharmacy Practice is also a 5-year program. However, my understanding is that this field does not offer the best career prospects (at least compared to some of your other options), which is an element that you may wish to consider if you end up not receiving an offer for the Doctor of Dental Medicine.

In terms of relevance, the Bachelor of Oral Health would probably be the most suitable degree to study. Of your options, this degree also takes the least time to complete, being 3 years.

While I cannot comment on the difficulty of each of these degrees since I did not study any of them (perhaps someone else could), I will note that favourable performance in the GAMSAT is important, regardless of the degree(s) that you end up studying.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)