Guide for Early entry into UNSW or USYD (1 Viewer)

Grinder

HSC
Hi BOS users, I am a complete noob when it comes to early entry, I am currently looking to apply for early entry into Bachelor of commerce/law or just commerce. What do I need to increase my chances of getting in, what are the requirements to apply.

Thanks in Advance.

Minari243

HSC
UNSW and USYD both currently only offer conditional early entry offers to those who are considered to be disadvantaged. So these early entry offers usually lower the selection rank or ATAR requirement for the course you applied for.

USYD's one is called E12 and the details can just be found on their website.

UNSW's one is called Gateway and likewise, the deets are on the website - Gateway does differ in that it is also open to disadvantaged schools (A list can be found on their site once again)

They are both done through UAC's SRS

For both of them you have to submit a personal statement to each uni based on the questions they ask (These are on the websites) along with evidence of disadvantage.

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
So, you can't apply if you are not disadvantaged?
Usyd and unsw require disadvantage but there are plenty other early entry programs for other unis that are open to all students.
You may also want to check the EAS website or speak to your careers counsellor to check if you qualify for disadvantage. The system is kinda broken and certain addresses (area codes) qualify for socioeconomic disadvantage regardless of your actual financial situation.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Even if you discover that you are not eligible for USyd's Early Offer Year 12 (E12) Scheme or UNSW's Gateway Admission Pathway, you can still benefit from adjustment factors (bonus points) at both universities, which can support your selection rank, maximising your chances of receiving an offer to study your chosen course:

USyd - Academic Excellence Scheme:

Under this scheme, you may have an adjustment of up to 5 points applied to your ATAR, depending on the course(s) that you have applied for and whether you achieved a band 5, band 6 and/or Band E4 in English Advanced and/or higher and Mathematics Advanced and/or higher. USyd states that adjustment factors will automatically be added following the release of your Year 12 results to UAC.

It is important to note that this scheme does not apply to the Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws program, although it does apply to the Bachelor of Commerce.

You can access more information about this scheme using the following link:

UNSW - HSC Plus:

Under this scheme, students who perform well in subjects that are relevant to their preferred UNSW degree may be awarded a maximum of 5 points. Similar to USyd, the Bachelor of Laws is excluded from this scheme, although the Bachelor of Commerce is included.

To have an adjustment of 5 points applied to your ATAR, you will need to achieve a band 6 in any of:
  • English Advanced
  • Mathematics Advanced
You can also have an adjustment of 5 points applied to your ATAR if you achieve a band E4 in any of:
  • English Extension 1
  • English Extension 2
  • Mathematics Extension 1
  • Mathematics Extension 2

satvik_1008

HSC
Even if you discover that you are not eligible for USyd's Early Offer Year 12 (E12) Scheme or UNSW's Gateway Admission Pathway, you can still benefit from adjustment factors (bonus points) at both universities, which can support your selection rank, maximising your chances of receiving an offer to study your chosen course:

USyd - Academic Excellence Scheme:

Under this scheme, you may have an adjustment of up to 5 points applied to your ATAR, depending on the course(s) that you have applied for and whether you achieved a band 5, band 6 and/or Band E4 in English Advanced and/or higher and Mathematics Advanced and/or higher. USyd states that adjustment factors will automatically be added following the release of your Year 12 results to UAC.

It is important to note that this scheme does not apply to the Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws program, although it does apply to the Bachelor of Commerce.

UNSW - HSC Plus:

Under this scheme, students who perform well in subjects that are relevant to their preferred UNSW degree may be awarded a maximum of 5 points. Similar to USyd, the Bachelor of Laws is excluded from this scheme, although the Bachelor of Commerce is included.

To have an adjustment of 5 points applied to your ATAR, you will need to achieve a band 6 in any of:
  • English Advanced
  • Mathematics Advanced
You can also have an adjustment of 5 points applied to your ATAR if you achieve a band E4 in any of:
  • English Extension 1
  • English Extension 2
  • Mathematics Extension 1
  • Mathematics Extension 2

they arent really early entry schemes tho, they are simply bonus points for band 5s and 6s in certain subjects and they don't apply for competitive degrees like law and medicine, unlike Gateway and E12

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
they arent really early entry schemes tho, they are simply bonus points for band 5s and 6s in certain subjects and they don't apply for competitive degrees like law and medicine, unlike Gateway and E12
I am aware of that. I was establishing the point that in the event where OP discovers that he is unable/ineligible to receive an offer to study his chosen course(s) through either early entry scheme due to his circumstances, this may not necessarily be the end, as adjustment factors may supplement his application with respect to ATAR-based offers. While the Bachelor of Laws is excluded from both the Academic Excellence Scheme and the HSC Plus, the Bachelor of Commerce is included, and OP mentioned that he intends to study either a Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws or a Bachelor of Commerce in his initial post.

Essentially, it is always a good thing for students to have multiple options/ways of being admitted to a particular program, which include both early entry schemes and adjustment factors (where applicable).

anonymousjmn

HSC
I was on a vacation and only just arrived back home - missed the applications for the SRS for UAC- does this mean I can't get into any early entry scheme at all? :(

specificagent1

HSC
I was on a vacation and only just arrived back home - missed the applications for the SRS for UAC- does this mean I can't get into any early entry scheme at all? :(
you're HSC 2022, your application wouldnt even be open yet until later this year

FesuY

HSC
Do bonus points still apply after gateway? For example lets say I get accepted into UNSW with the gateway program and I need an 81 ATAR instead of a 90 to get into my course, but I did not get 81, instead I got a 79 instead. However I got a band 5 in adv maths which gives me 3 bonus points, which equates to an 82 ATAR. Does UNSW allow gateway and bonus points to influence your ATAR or is it just one?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Do bonus points still apply after gateway? For example lets say I get accepted into UNSW with the gateway program and I need an 81 ATAR instead of a 90 to get into my course, but I did not get 81, instead I got a 79 instead. However I got a band 5 in adv maths which gives me 3 bonus points, which equates to an 82 ATAR. Does UNSW allow gateway and bonus points to influence your ATAR or is it just one?
Looking at the UNSW Gateway Admission Pathway site, UNSW states:

If your application is successful, you will receive an early conditional offer with an ATAR entry requirement significantly lower than the Lowest Selection rank.

The wording of this sentence indicates that in the case of the Gateway Admission Pathway, adjustment factors do not apply, since the conditional offers will require a particular ATAR, as opposed to a selection rank.

FesuY

HSC
Looking at the UNSW Gateway Admission Pathway site, UNSW states:

If your application is successful, you will receive an early conditional offer with an ATAR entry requirement significantly lower than the Lowest Selection rank.

The wording of this sentence indicates that in the case of the Gateway Admission Pathway, adjustment factors do not apply, since the conditional offers will require a particular ATAR, as opposed to a selection rank.
oh ok, cheers Jimmy

FesuY

HSC
Apparently you can. This is someone who I believe did:
Im not disadvantaged and my school is loctaed in a fairly high scoioeconomic area yet my school is eligable. So many other non-disadvnataged schools are eligbale for it as well like prariewood which is half selective

specificagent1

HSC
no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)