Guide to LAT Tutoring (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simorgh

HSC
For those of you who are aware this year will be the first time a new test for Year 11s and 12s will be introduced called the LAT (Law Admissions Test) which will be run on September 2016 for Law admissions at UNSW. What is tested for in LAT? LAT is a test where you are assessed for your own ideas and yourselves on top of that having the critical thinking and analysis skills which are required in UNSW Law.

Is Tutoring required? In my opinion it is not required. If you don’t have the skills mentioned above then you should reconsider Law as a career path let alone considering Tutoring for it. Tutoring will not help you achieve those skills straightaway and is not required to do well in LAT.

In my opinion many people are being misled about LAT tutoring unfortunately. For instance there hasn't even been a whole lot of information or resources released related to this new test. So far only a mere sample paper has been released which a few or likely most LAT tuition workshops are basing their entire courses on. Will time come when tutoring be eventually acceptable and required for LAT? Maybe but I am doubtful from the way the test is structured in that it tests your analysis and critical thinking skills which tutoring necessarily cannot help you with. In coming years there might be more information/material out related to this test. Whereas right now there is hardly any out yet.

Many people are comparing this test to something requiring tutoring like UMAT. This is nowhere the case. Anyone offering LAT tutoring has no proof that they themselves are competent with the LAT. However they might be good at writing and analysing texts, but that is in no way proof that they would be admitted into UNSW Law. Whereas those who do UMAT tutoring typically have done the UMAT.

Many so called LAT tutoring places sprang up out of nowhere, jumped on the bandwagon and went on a risky commercial venture such as this. The fact that many such places don't seem to help much thinking $148 is very expensive and unethical for someone who hasn't actually sat the LAT? The kind of false promises can be dangerously classified as misleading and deceptive conduct. They have set up some very high expectations for parents and students with the extravagant prices they are charging. As many have also pointed out, many of these people who are running these workshops for LAT are inexperienced and they are not who they necessarily make themselves out to be. Basing a whole course on the basis of sample paper is indeed quite risky, certainly the sample test is not the real thing that will be coming in the LAT.

Remember these people are seizing a great commercial opportunity out of the introduction of this new test. For them it is a great way to make money out of anxious parents and students. Certainly they are running a legitimate service with supposedly good intentions but from behind they are misleading many.

No you are not under any obligation to follow what I say, where I am simply giving you another perspective to this issue. Overtime things will of course change and I am in no doubt about that, like more Universities could use the LAT besides UNSW. I would like to especially give credit to strawberrye, D94 and inbored2 for the information used in this guide.

Simorgh

HSC
I don't think you have any idea what you are going on about. If you would have read it than you would have at least understood.

poortom

HSC
i guess i see where ur coming from but i really really want to do Law and want to finally make it in this year. Even if my LAT skills arent that great, if i get tutoring for it and become good at it, that means i'd be a good lawyer right? Idk, i signed up to their free newsletter and the things they taught in there actually was pretty good and i guess that means they'd have a pretty good idea on what's going on. I agree with you that $148 is on the higher end of the cost spectrum but hey, if at the end of the day, it increases my chances of getting in, then im happy to pay that money :) hahah tbh i'd prefer if other people didn't go tutoring for it :p I'll hit them up tomorrow morning and see if they have any spots left.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
i guess i see where ur coming from but i really really want to do Law and want to finally make it in this year. Even if my LAT skills arent that great, if i get tutoring for it and become good at it, that means i'd be a good lawyer right? Idk, i signed up to their free newsletter and the things they taught in there actually was pretty good and i guess that means they'd have a pretty good idea on what's going on. I agree with you that $148 is on the higher end of the cost spectrum but hey, if at the end of the day, it increases my chances of getting in, then im happy to pay that money :) hahah tbh i'd prefer if other people didn't go tutoring for it :p I'll hit them up tomorrow morning and see if they have any spots left.
Interesting how someone who finished their HSC in 2014, and hasn't posted since 2013 suddenly appears to show support for a very specific tutoring "business" which wasn't actually mentioned in the OP.

Also interesting is how I seem to recall that the founder "Alex" is a 2nd year law student. So assuming he went straight into uni, doesn't that mean he did his HSC in 2014?

I mean it would be patently ridiculous to suggest that he might have logged on to an old account he made when he was in high school to pretend to be an enthusiastic supporter of LAT, right?
(This is called astroturfing and is semi-illegal)

Frankly, I don't really care how you market your business and I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit, but this is pretty low dude.

So, "poortom", please tell us some more about how you really really want to do Law, and how "I agree with you that $148 is on the higher end of the cost spectrum but hey, if at the end of the day, it increases my chances of getting in, then im happy to pay that money :) "

I'd love to hear what they have to say regarding how many spots are left. My guess: All of them.

imbored2

HSC
Interesting how someone who finished their HSC in 2014, and hasn't posted since 2013 suddenly appears to show support for a very specific tutoring "business" which wasn't actually mentioned in the OP.

Also interesting is how I seem to recall that the founder "Alex" is a 2nd year law student. So assuming he went straight into uni, doesn't that mean he did his HSC in 2014?

I mean it would be patently ridiculous to suggest that he might have logged on to an old account he made when he was in high school to pretend to be an enthusiastic supporter of LAT, right?
(This is called astroturfing and is semi-illegal)

Frankly, I don't really care how you market your business and I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit, but this is pretty low dude.

So, "poortom", please tell us some more about how you really really want to do Law, and how "I agree with you that $148 is on the higher end of the cost spectrum but hey, if at the end of the day, it increases my chances of getting in, then im happy to pay that money :) "

I'd love to hear what they have to say regarding how many spots are left. My guess: All of them.
Funnily enough "poortom" also appears to have gone to James Ruse, same school as Alex. Wow same graduation year and school, what a coincidence or not?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Funnily enough "poortom" also appears to have gone to James Ruse, same school as Alex. Wow same graduation year and school, what a coincidence or not?
Wow that's a crazy coincidence!

poortom

HSC
Hahaha sorry to LAT. I'm not alex.That post I made about James ruse was back in the day when I was naive and wanted to comment on that thread so I just said I went to James ruse. You probably don't believe me but if you look on my past threads I did make one about sgp for geography and according to my cousin who goes to James ruse they don't offer geography in year 11 and 12. I actually went to a local high school LOL

xXx420xXx

HSC
offering LAT tutoring, only $148 in my sex dungeon females preffered

inb4 banned again

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Nice save!

In 2012 1 B6 in geography
In 2011 5 B6 in geography
In 2010 3 B6 in geography

However there aren't any post-2012 so it is possible you are a real person.

Maybe.

Simorgh

HSC

This what I don't get. I didn't even mention or talk at all about that specific LAT tutoring place and he suddenly brings it up out of nowhere? Possibly how much more insecure are these people?

Whether or not he went to the same school, one thing I am sure on is that he definitely knows who Alex is in real life and is most probably friends with him.

They are for sure running a dodgy campaign online to get customers in anyway possible.

Last edited:

xXx420xXx

HSC
This what I don't get. I didn't even mention or talk at all about that specific LAT tutoring place and he suddenly brings it up out of nowhere? Possibly how much more insecure are these people?

Whether or not he went to the same school, one thing I am sure on is that you definitely know who Alex is in real life and is most probably friends with him.

They are for sure running a dodgy campaign online to get customers in anyway possible.
he suddenly came back after a 3 year hiatus to post exactly on this thread!!!

poortom

HSC
I'm subscribed to their newsletters and posted in their other threads (before they were gone) so when you say $148 I know ur talking about their workshop. lol sorry LAT if this damages your business :/

Simorgh

HSC
Looks like they couldn't man up to all the criticism so they sent some undercover dude here to defend their reputation and business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)