HSC
N/A
[size=+2]Guide To Modern History.[/size]

Resources:
Modern History Stage 6 Syllabus.
Hsc Online Modern History.
The Biki.
History Teacher's Assoication.
2006 HSC Specimen Examination Resources.
Standard Packages
How To Analyze Sources
First World War
Leni Riefenstahl
Leni Riefenstahi Resources
Schools History
Encyclopaedia Of The First World War.
Eyewitness accounts of those who lived through the First war.
Economic and political problems facing the Weimar Republic.
Collection Of Cold War Primary and Secondary Resources.
Reasons For The collapse of the Weimar Republic.
Turning Points Of World War One

[size=+2]Textbook Suggestions:[/size]
Core Study: Evidence Of War: Studying The First World War Through Sources. By Anne McCallum.
Key Features Of Modern History. By Bruce Dennett and Stephen Dixon
Republic to Reich: A History Of Germany 1918-1945. By Kj Mason

[size=+2]Core Study: World War One[/size]

For section one make sure you know the structure of how to respond to these questions and also have a LOT of background knowledge of things such as important events, people/groups, dates, why propaganda was used(eg.to make people support the war effort, boost morale in the people, to encourage hatard for the enemy) etc . If you know all of this i can ensure you that you go well in this section. NEVER make genearlized comments. For example if they ask something like "how did women react to the war", start off by saying that various groups reacted differently throughout the war .. Make sure you have a balance between your own knowledge and the source for question 2 and 3. Thus you should always start writing with your own knowledge and then have clear reference to the sources to back it up. Integration is the key!

For question 3, which is the hardest question start off by saying how each of the sources is useful but in different ways and various degrees and then look at things such as the perspective, usefulness, where it comes from to evaluate any extent of bias. If looking at photos for example, take into consideration if the photo is staged and it's purpose. Just because it's a photo it doesn't mean it is realiable because we don't know what happening before or at the moment the photo was taken. It's merely the photographers perspective. And even if a source is unreliable it can still be considered as reliable as it can be used as evidence of how someone though of a certain event or person.

[size=+2]In Part A you need to:[/size]
- Quickly Find the specific information that is asked for
- Be as breif and direct as possible
- When the word LIST is used, write no more than the word or phrase that is required
- Allocate your reading time to identifying the information required.

[size=+2]In Part B you need to:[/size]
- Use your own knowledge and personal understanding of the issue and then relate this to the sources that are specified
- Ensure that you devote approximately equal space to document disccusion as to source analysis
- Clearly indicate which sources you are referring to - eg. Source A shows ..
- The Key is integration of your own knowledge and sources. The structure of your answer should be:
- Point from own knowledge
- Reference to source
- Point from own knowledge
- Reference to source

[size=+2]In Part C you need to:[/size]
- Assess the reliability and usefulness of selected sources in relation to a specified topic or issue
-The issue is what can be done with the documents: do not spend time describing or paraphrasing their content, unless it is required to establish usefulness.
-Remember - you are to discuss the usefulness of the source as evidence or information used by historians, and point out any pitfalls that might exist if the information is taken purely on face
-ALL sources are RELIABLE in their own way.
Q’s to ask:
Origin: eg government poster?
Audience: eg young men for fighting age?
Motive: eg encourage young men to enlist?
Nature: appeal to emotions (eg pride, patriotism, embarrassment, shame?)
Reliability: eg example of British wartime recruitment propaganda, aim is to increase recruitment, emotional appeal rather than rational
Useful: eg techniques used by government to encourage men to enlist

[size=+2]Major Events To Always Consider:[/size]
1914: outbreak of war
Failure of military plans
1916: The battle of Verdun
The battle of the Somme
1917: US Entry Into War
The Third battle of Ypres- Passchendaele
1918: President Wilson's fourteen points
The Spring Offensive
The Armistice

[size=+2]Reasons For The Allied Victory:[/size]

Primary Factors:
1.Allied Economic and numerical strength:
2.The success in the long term of the British Royal Navy blockage of Germany
3.The failure of the Schlieffen Plan
4.The advantages of the Allies geographical position
5.The entry of the USA on the Allied side
6.Germany’s weak Allies

Secondary Factors:
1.The failure of the German U-Boat blockade
2.The failure of the Ludendorff Offensive
3.The Unified Allied Command
4.The Tank
5.The breakdown of German Morale.

National Studies + International Studies in Peace and Conflict Coming Soon.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
[size=+2]Conflict In Europe[/size]

Seeing that this a new section of the syllabus, I will be now writing a detailed guide, outing the various areas which I believe the BOS will primarily focus on as I have been exposed to numerous papers which share similar questions, in conjunction with providing you with detailed information that will hopefully help you in understanding the topic. I will continue writing more, once I have the time. But generally these are combination of my notes and essays that I wrote prior to a few days before my Modern History HSC exam.

[size=+2]The Origins Of the war: [/size]

[size=+1]Dictatorships of Germany and Italy:[/size]

Both Germany and Italy had adopted foreign policies under their dictatorships. Hitler wanted to restore Germany as the world power it once was with a position of dominance and free from the restrictions imposed by the Treaty of Versailles. Mussolini, on the other hand, desired a neo-Roman Empire in the Mediterranean, whilst restoring Italy to its formal imperial glory. These policies however were in conflict with the democracies of Britain and France, whom wanted to maintain the peace, embodied in Europe, whilst the two dictatorships were determined to destroy the status quo, held together by the treaty of Versailles, in order to achieve their objectives. Consequently, this had acted as a catalyst for the cause of conflict in Europe, as both Britain and France had undertaken policies of Appeasement, in order to maintain the peace held in Europe, which allowing Germany and Italy to rearm and mobilize it’s war machine, whilst giving them the incentive that their actions were possible.

[size=+1] Considering their incentives, one should now really focus on the policy of appeasement, undertaken by both France and Britain when studying the origins of the war: [/size]

What is Appeasement? Appeasement can be defined as giving in to the demands of aggressive powers to avoid war. Britain and France undertaking no action when Germany reoccupied the Rhineland in 1936, not only resulted in the shaping of appeasement and the collapse of collective security, but also had gave Hitler the incentive that the western powers feared war and he was prepared to exploit this fear to gain the advantage. This had acted as another cause for the Conflict of Europe, as it had resulted in Germany establishing the Four year plan, where it’s economic and military strength was now geared to support a war.

[size=+2] Appeasement In Action:[/size]

[size=+1]Abyssinia:[/size]

After Italy had established the Stresa front agreement with Britain and France in April 1935, Italy invades Abyssinaa in October due to economic problems and working class unrest in its own country. Despite Abyssina being a member of the league, collective security didn’t act upon it’s terms, due to the British and French government wanting to maintain Italy as an ally and a potential defender of the treaty. Hence, this resulted in the first step in the cause of the war, as it resulted in Mussolini and Hitler establishing a close bond and consequently the Rome-Berlin Axis Pact, where they would work under the same goals, whist supplying each other with vital resources and weaponry, helping to further build their war machines and hence prepare for war

[size=+1]Spanish Civil War: [/size]

For Germany and Italy, the war had acted as a testing ground for it’s rearmament, the Blitzkrieg and other techniques of warfare that would be used in the Conflict in Europe. Mussolini then followed his attempt of imposing an Italian hegemony in the Mediterranean Sea. Britain and France anxious to prevent a general European Conflagration, did nothing to stop the war.

[size=+1]Munich Conference 1938:[/size]

Chamberlain believing that Hitler would soon resort to force, due to the Sudeten Crisis came to a binding agreement, forcing the Czechs to give the Sudetenland to Germany and if they didn’t agree, the western powers wouldn’t support the nation in a state of war. Consequently, this gave Hitler’s opinion of the west –“our enemies are worms. I saw them at Munich” and further confidence of being able to achieve his objectives without resistance. Hence, acting as another cause of the causes of the war, as it gave Hitler the incentive that his actions and objectives weren’t going to be interfered with.

[size=+2] Turning Points:[/size]

What is a turning point? A turning point is defined as a event which marks a unique or important historical change of course. Various events of the Conflict in Europe can be defined as turning points of the war, as they lead to the victory of the Allies and the stopping of the Nazi regime from gaining domination over Europe. The Main areas which one should focus on are:

[size=+1]The Battle Of Britain: July 1940-May 1941[/size]

- This battle was one of the most important events of the war. Not only was it the first time that Hitler’s war machine was proved to the world that it was defetable and it also removed the prospects of Germany being able to win the war. The German Luftwaffe aimed to firstly gain air superiority over the Royal Air Force(RAF) before the implementations of Operation Sealion – the secret code name given to the plan of the invasion of Britain. Consequently, the Luftwaffe were unsuccessfully in destroying the Raf, which thus lead to the first turning point of the war. German losses of 1000 planes to 550 RAF’s, 40% of the JU-87 Stukas and 30% of it’s German fighters significantly crippled it’s ability to further sustain a long war.

- It had resulted in a two front war between Russia and Germany. This is indeed significant, as it would have allowed Germany to keep control of Eastern Europe, allowing it to concentrate the bulk of their forces in Russia.

- It’s survival acted as a base for US troops blocked by Sea.

[size=+1]The Russian Campaign:[/size] The Russian campaign of Operation Barbarossa, Starlingard and the Battle of Kursk was another significant turning point in the war, as German armies had now lost the initiative on all fronts and consequently never regained it.

[size=+1]Operation Barbarossa:[/size]

The Red-Army’s counter-offensive in the defense of Moscow in October 1941-Jan 1942 marked a major turning point in the war, as it was the first time that the German Wehrmacht was now forced into a major retreat. It’s failure to defeat Russia not only opened up the prospect of Germany facing a two front war, but also allowed Russia to significantly develop large armies, weapons and new technology.

[size=+1]Starlingard:[/size]

A response to the failures of Barbarossa, was Hitler’s next phase of the Russian campaign - to capture Starlingard and continually break through into the Caucasus Oil fields. This again acted as turning point of the war for various reasons. Hitler insisting that all German divisions press on in a single-minded fashion to take the remains of Starlingard, after most of it had been captured, allowed Georgi Zhukov, the Russian Commander to implement “Plan Uranus” which indented to build up forces around the City and consequently trap the Germans. Its failure to capture the Oil fields further extends on this, as it removed the prospect of Axis of continuing an effective war, as it no longer had a fuel source large enough to do so.

[size=+1]The battle of Kursk: [/size]

In a large desperation effort to gain the initiative, the Germans mounted their final significant offensive at the Kursk Salien. The German delay in launching their offensive until July 4th, gave the Red Army four months to prepare themselves, increasing their army, whilst turning their salient into one of the most heavily defended points on Earth. Because of this, it had lead to the defeat of the German War machine and consequently the end of the Russian Campaign. Hence, one of the most significant turning points of the war, as the initiative passed decisively from the Wehrmact to the Red Army. Russia was now in control of war in the Eastern front. Not only did it drive the German army into the defensive for the rest of the war, but it resulted in it suffering great losses in machinery, armor and men, which would contribute to it’s collapse,

[size=+1]The Second Battle Of El Alamein – October 23 – November 3 1942:[/size]

- The Allies victory in controlling the Suez Canal firstly proved to be pivotal and decisive as it closed another war front. Because of this it enabled the Allies to open up another front to attack any Axis occupied territory in the Mediterranean and hence be in a position for them to take initiative to the Axis rather then simply adopt a defensive posture. In the process, Britain had also benefited from the war as it was now ensured a supply route, for all their raw materials and supplies, which was essential at the time due to the effects of U-Boats in the Battle of the Atlantic. The lost of the campaign to the Germans then marked the end to its potential expansion and reduced its ability to sustain an effective war against the Allies, as it lost the prospect of accessing unlimited oil in the Middle East.

Last edited:

nicenathan91

HSC
thanks a lot for all this.
wat where your other modules?
IE...
- national studies?
- personality?
- international study of peace and conflict?

Did you by any chance do Russia, Trotsky or Indochina??

Any material or tips you can offer??

n1cole

HSC
that is freakin amazing, thank you so much.

i blame my teacher, Stephen Dixon, because he picked conflict in europe.. but he wrote the text book 'key features of modern history' so really, if we dont do decently, it's our fault not his haha.

thanks so much again, detangled it that bit more for me!!

nic
xo.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
thread has to be stickied.

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
[SIZE=+2][/SIZE]to encourage hatard for the enemy
heh

i'm not a artard

But seriously, these are coolies :D thanks mang, and I'm bumping this to second the stickying motion.

tasha55005500

HSC
Legend! great summary
hopeles5ly said:
[SIZE=+2]Conflict In Europe[/SIZE]

Seeing that this a new section of the syllabus, I will be now writing a detailed guide, outing the various areas which I believe the BOS will primarily focus on as I have been exposed to numerous papers which share similar questions, in conjunction with providing you with detailed information that will hopefully help you in understanding the topic. I will continue writing more, once I have the time. But generally these are combination of my notes and essays that I wrote prior to a few days before my Modern History HSC exam.

[SIZE=+2]The Origins Of the war: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Dictatorships of Germany and Italy:[/SIZE]

Both Germany and Italy had adopted foreign policies under their dictatorships. Hitler wanted to restore Germany as the world power it once was with a position of dominance and free from the restrictions imposed by the Treaty of Versailles. Mussolini, on the other hand, desired a neo-Roman Empire in the Mediterranean, whilst restoring Italy to its formal imperial glory. These policies however were in conflict with the democracies of Britain and France, whom wanted to maintain the peace, embodied in Europe, whilst the two dictatorships were determined to destroy the status quo, held together by the treaty of Versailles, in order to achieve their objectives. Consequently, this had acted as a catalyst for the cause of conflict in Europe, as both Britain and France had undertaken policies of Appeasement, in order to maintain the peace held in Europe, which allowing Germany and Italy to rearm and mobilize it’s war machine, whilst giving them the incentive that their actions were possible.

[SIZE=+1] Considering their incentives, one should now really focus on the policy of appeasement, undertaken by both France and Britain when studying the origins of the war: [/SIZE]

What is Appeasement? Appeasement can be defined as giving in to the demands of aggressive powers to avoid war. Britain and France undertaking no action when Germany reoccupied the Rhineland in 1936, not only resulted in the shaping of appeasement and the collapse of collective security, but also had gave Hitler the incentive that the western powers feared war and he was prepared to exploit this fear to gain the advantage. This had acted as another cause for the Conflict of Europe, as it had resulted in Germany establishing the Four year plan, where it’s economic and military strength was now geared to support a war.

[SIZE=+2] Appeasement In Action:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Abyssinia:[/SIZE]

After Italy had established the Stresa front agreement with Britain and France in April 1935, Italy invades Abyssinaa in October due to economic problems and working class unrest in its own country. Despite Abyssina being a member of the league, collective security didn’t act upon it’s terms, due to the British and French government wanting to maintain Italy as an ally and a potential defender of the treaty. Hence, this resulted in the first step in the cause of the war, as it resulted in Mussolini and Hitler establishing a close bond and consequently the Rome-Berlin Axis Pact, where they would work under the same goals, whist supplying each other with vital resources and weaponry, helping to further build their war machines and hence prepare for war

[SIZE=+1]Spanish Civil War: [/SIZE]

For Germany and Italy, the war had acted as a testing ground for it’s rearmament, the Blitzkrieg and other techniques of warfare that would be used in the Conflict in Europe. Mussolini then followed his attempt of imposing an Italian hegemony in the Mediterranean Sea. Britain and France anxious to prevent a general European Conflagration, did nothing to stop the war.

[SIZE=+1]Munich Conference 1938:[/SIZE]

Chamberlain believing that Hitler would soon resort to force, due to the Sudeten Crisis came to a binding agreement, forcing the Czechs to give the Sudetenland to Germany and if they didn’t agree, the western powers wouldn’t support the nation in a state of war. Consequently, this gave Hitler’s opinion of the west –“our enemies are worms. I saw them at Munich” and further confidence of being able to achieve his objectives without resistance. Hence, acting as another cause of the causes of the war, as it gave Hitler the incentive that his actions and objectives weren’t going to be interfered with.

[SIZE=+2] Turning Points:[/SIZE]

What is a turning point? A turning point is defined as a event which marks a unique or important historical change of course. Various events of the Conflict in Europe can be defined as turning points of the war, as they lead to the victory of the Allies and the stopping of the Nazi regime from gaining domination over Europe. The Main areas which one should focus on are:

[SIZE=+1]The Battle Of Britain: July 1940-May 1941[/SIZE]

- This battle was one of the most important events of the war. Not only was it the first time that Hitler’s war machine was proved to the world that it was defetable and it also removed the prospects of Germany being able to win the war. The German Luftwaffe aimed to firstly gain air superiority over the Royal Air Force(RAF) before the implementations of Operation Sealion – the secret code name given to the plan of the invasion of Britain. Consequently, the Luftwaffe were unsuccessfully in destroying the Raf, which thus lead to the first turning point of the war. German losses of 1000 planes to 550 RAF’s, 40% of the JU-87 Stukas and 30% of it’s German fighters significantly crippled it’s ability to further sustain a long war.

- It had resulted in a two front war between Russia and Germany. This is indeed significant, as it would have allowed Germany to keep control of Eastern Europe, allowing it to concentrate the bulk of their forces in Russia.

- It’s survival acted as a base for US troops blocked by Sea.

[SIZE=+1]The Russian Campaign:[/SIZE] The Russian campaign of Operation Barbarossa, Starlingard and the Battle of Kursk was another significant turning point in the war, as German armies had now lost the initiative on all fronts and consequently never regained it.

[SIZE=+1]Operation Barbarossa:[/SIZE]

The Red-Army’s counter-offensive in the defense of Moscow in October 1941-Jan 1942 marked a major turning point in the war, as it was the first time that the German Wehrmacht was now forced into a major retreat. It’s failure to defeat Russia not only opened up the prospect of Germany facing a two front war, but also allowed Russia to significantly develop large armies, weapons and new technology.

[SIZE=+1]Starlingard:[/SIZE]

A response to the failures of Barbarossa, was Hitler’s next phase of the Russian campaign - to capture Starlingard and continually break through into the Caucasus Oil fields. This again acted as turning point of the war for various reasons. Hitler insisting that all German divisions press on in a single-minded fashion to take the remains of Starlingard, after most of it had been captured, allowed Georgi Zhukov, the Russian Commander to implement “Plan Uranus” which indented to build up forces around the City and consequently trap the Germans. Its failure to capture the Oil fields further extends on this, as it removed the prospect of Axis of continuing an effective war, as it no longer had a fuel source large enough to do so.

[SIZE=+1]The battle of Kursk: [/SIZE]

In a large desperation effort to gain the initiative, the Germans mounted their final significant offensive at the Kursk Salien. The German delay in launching their offensive until July 4th, gave the Red Army four months to prepare themselves, increasing their army, whilst turning their salient into one of the most heavily defended points on Earth. Because of this, it had lead to the defeat of the German War machine and consequently the end of the Russian Campaign. Hence, one of the most significant turning points of the war, as the initiative passed decisively from the Wehrmact to the Red Army. Russia was now in control of war in the Eastern front. Not only did it drive the German army into the defensive for the rest of the war, but it resulted in it suffering great losses in machinery, armor and men, which would contribute to it’s collapse,

[SIZE=+1]The Second Battle Of El Alamein – October 23 – November 3 1942:[/SIZE]

- The Allies victory in controlling the Suez Canal firstly proved to be pivotal and decisive as it closed another war front. Because of this it enabled the Allies to open up another front to attack any Axis occupied territory in the Mediterranean and hence be in a position for them to take initiative to the Axis rather then simply adopt a defensive posture. In the process, Britain had also benefited from the war as it was now ensured a supply route, for all their raw materials and supplies, which was essential at the time due to the effects of U-Boats in the Battle of the Atlantic. The lost of the campaign to the Germans then marked the end to its potential expansion and reduced its ability to sustain an effective war against the Allies, as it lost the prospect of accessing unlimited oil in the Middle East.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)