Guild Wars - any good? (1 Viewer)

Some_Guy

HSC
anyone play guild wars? i got sick of WoW a while ago. the pvp was fun but i hated the lvling and the amount of time you have to spend on the game. I heard guild wars is more for the casual player like me. whats it like? particularly pvp wise.

HSC
I've been looking at this a lot recently too, also wondering if I should go with Guild Wars, or Guild Wars: Factions, or both...

I still play WoW a fair bit, but it's a shared account, and GW looks like it'd be something fun to play while the account is in use.

It gets a pretty good average on gamerankings.com, and seeing as it's a one-off buy I figure it's not a huge risk, so I'll probably check it out once exams are out of the way.

Some_Guy

HSC
im confused as to what factions is. is it an expansion or a seperate game?

HSC
I thought it was an expansion to start with, but it's actually completely stand-alone. So far as I can gather, Guild Wars is sort of Western medieval themed, while Factions has an asian vibe to it all. On top of that factions has two new professions (character classes), new stuff to fight, and all that sort of gear.

Seeing as they're both just one off purchases I guess it wouldn't hurt to get both over time, but then buying them both at the same time seems pointless seeing as it'd be a while till you were ready to play the other one.

On the other hand, aside from the different style, I'm not sure whether it's worth buying the original one or just getting factions so you've got all the stuff from the original plus extras (albeit with a different theme).

Victor123

HSC
N/A
Pros
  • Fairly good graphics and sound
  • Not as much time needed
  • Requires skill not hours of hardcore gaming
  • No monthly fee
  • Nice community
Cons
  • Cannot see other players in training grounds, your in your own copy of the world
  • Map updates ingame (annoying downloading and loadings of maps, this disturbs your gaming)
  • Low lvl cap of 20

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I've heard it can be very fun if you play with friends online, it really does bring the whole multiplayer experience into the picture.

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
I have both guildwars prophecies (The first one) and guildwars factions (collectors edition rawr)

It's hard to toss up which ones better, factions has new types of things to do, challenge missions, alliance battles, etc. while prophecies has a really nice storyline.

eitherway, im gonna be getting the third campaign when it comes out around september (guildwars nightfall).

the plan is every 6 months to release a new campaign says anet.

if anyone plays, my IGN is vojnik shadow

oh and as for the level cap, sure you want to advance it further after a while, but in essence that just means the pve environment increases in levels so its pretty much the same anyway... just youd need to spend ages grinding to get it? eugh

Last edited:

frends87

HSC
N/A
Do u know anything on how to get faction points etc?
Me and my uncle are sharing the same account. He set up his own guild and as a result of that im always 'part of his guild' bcoz we are using the same account.

Is there other thing I can do beside quests. I'm level 20 right now and im on PvE though.

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
frends87 said:
Do u know anything on how to get faction points etc?
Me and my uncle are sharing the same account. He set up his own guild and as a result of that im always 'part of his guild' bcoz we are using the same account.

Is there other thing I can do beside quests. I'm level 20 right now and im on PvE though.
The best way to get:

kurzick faction: There is a repeatable quest you can do outside lutgardis conservatory. most people run this... join a group in lutguardis and get a feel for how its done.

luxon faction: I assume there is a similar place as the kurzick thing... not sure where though... I aint a luxon.

balthazar faction: well this is essentially pvp faction. don't think you'd want it... but fastest way to get this is to get into a good team in hereos ascent.

send me a pm in game if ya need more help.
ign: vojnik summoner

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)