"Guitaring" .. (1 Viewer)

taniiah

HSC
Hi everyone.

I'm thinking of learning the guitar out of interest. In the end if i do learn it i'm hoping to play an electric guitar. just wondering if you have to learn the more classical one before the electric ones? and also is it REALLY hard because i can't read music in bass .. but i know it's not in bass.

Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance ^^

bernz

Hungry. Feed me.
HSC
DOOOOOOOD! You don't need to know how to read music to learn guitar. Learn how to read tabs (i heart tabs). Wewt, guitars!

[edit] tommy emmanuel can't read music. 'nuf said. [/edit]

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
True you don't need to learn how to read 'music' but if you're planning on getting any better, music theory definitely helps to understand the more advanced stuff.

No you don't have to start on acoustics, but I've found that those who play acoustics usually develop a good grip and strength and hand muscles/finger reach, which makes the transition to electrics a lot easier than the other way around.

iwannarock

HSC
bernz said:
DOOOOOOOD! You don't need to know how to read music to learn guitar. Learn how to read tabs (i heart tabs). Wewt, guitars!

[edit] tommy emmanuel can't read music. 'nuf said. [/edit]
while i don't doubt tommey cant read sheet music........that mother fucker certainly knows a tonne of music theory. especially with regards to chords.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Sheet music is just a way of communicating music from 1 person to another, but not the only way. Guitar Tabs are awesome because they are so easy to learn, but they also encourage you to learn by ear. Music theory does not require you to learn to read any form of music - it can be learnt verbally from a teacher. It does help to at least learn tabs though, that way you can find lessons on the net teaching various scales/modes/chords etc.

G

Gavvvvvin

Standard notation is pretty much useless unless you wanna play a piece of music on a different instrument. Has no advantages at all over a piece of tab with rythem slashes.

square-nothing

HSC
guitar is awesome and very addictive although when i was learning i found it frustrating cos i'm an unco. haha.

make sure you get lessons from someone good.

acoustic is better to learn on to develop strength and basic techniques and classical does help with your playing. when i was learning classical i was like pfft! this won't help in the slightest but it really did.

i started playing electric a year after i started learning and it helped me with my solos heaps cos you hear if you screw up heaps better.

make sure you practice everyday and one day you could be Steve Vai hahaha (amazing crazy guitarist if you didn't know)

taniiah

HSC
cool. thanks for the response. i'm pretty keen on getting into the guitar. (piano really wasn't my thing =.=")

btw anyone know any good guitar teachers in the northern areas of Melbourne. around 'northland', epping, thomastown, mill park etc.. ?

HSC
AsyLum said:
No you don't have to start on acoustics, but I've found that those who play acoustics usually develop a good grip and strength and hand muscles/finger reach, which makes the transition to electrics a lot easier than the other way around.
yep .. pussy electric strings will seem THAT much easier if your fingers are used to acoustic strings.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I've just started learning guitar... I tried learning years ao, but the HSC made me stop. I have both an acousitc and an electric, I use the electric at the moment becasue its easier on my fingers and my hand.

The acoustic I have is thick-necked, and so its harder for me to get the shapes right cos Im first starting out. I know how to read music because I played the flute for 4 years in highschool (boooo). But seriously you dont need to know it, you can just learn how to read tabs and thats easy as, I picked up howe to read talbature in liek 10mins.

I recommend you learn it (y) lol Ive only had 4 lessons so I suck at the moment, buit Ive picked up a lot of stuff already and I can sort of play some Greenday. Learn it! The easiest (from what Ive heard) to learn is Blink182, so try n learn some of that.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
anything based on power chords is pretty easy, and most pop-rock over the past decade are almost exclusively based around the Em/G major chords, so they're great starting points if you want to dabble in soloing

thehootman

HSC
I've been playing for 7 years, and am well into advanced catagory (can play Steve Vai .:):headbang:)
Its not just how often or how long you practise, but how you practise. Generally learning a whole heap of new songs wont get you anywhere in the technique department. You should practise technique - drills etc. Scales and modes are critically important if you want a hope of soloing.
Also start slow and work up.

I strongly reccomend learning real sheet music. Tabs are lame and most of the ones on the net are wrong. Figure it out yourself.

And last of all, dont fall victim to GAS (gear acqusition syndrom) and think that your gear defines your status.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)