Gulf of Tonkin.. (1 Viewer)

Rory

HSC
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some decent notes on the Gulf of Tonkin incident?

I've got to do an essay discussing the significance of the Gulf of Tonkin incident in the growth of US intervention in Vietnam and need some notes asap, I didn't find much in the BOS resources and didn't come across a lot when searching the MH forum so yeh..links or whatever would be greatly appreciated.

sneeble

Is that you in your avatar? If so, your eyes are a stunning colour. :)

Here's a little off the top of my head to get you moving on the topic;

In response to the Gulf of Tonkin incident LBJ and his administration formulated the Tonkin Resolution, which passed US Congress with two votes against it on August 7th, 1964. It was pretty much a 'blank cheque' in that it allowed the US president to wage war in whatever way he thought necessary without declaring war on the Vietnamese.

The ramifications are pretty clear; with that power, LBJ was able to increase US intervention in Vietnam in any way he pleased. Obviously he could not accept defeat, so as the NLF/VC forces got stronger, he just increased US intervention.

Anyway, you get the point. There's more here;
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/VNtonkin.htm

Best of luck

crazy_old_jwg

HSC
I already put this in another thread, but here's a good quote "the Admnistration had indeed lied to congress reguarding the Tonkin Affair, obscuring the political fact that the policy had been drawn up much earlier and had predetermined its responses. Above all, the White House calimed it had been provoked when in reality it had been the provoker." Gabriel Kolko, 1987

em_516

bludging..
HSC
sneeble said:
Is that you in your avatar? If so, your eyes are a stunning colour. :)

Here's a little off the top of my head to get you moving on the topic;

In response to the Gulf of Tonkin incident LBJ and his administration formulated the Tonkin Resolution, which passed US Congress with two votes against it on August 7th, 1964. It was pretty much a 'blank cheque' in that it allowed the US president to wage war in whatever way he thought necessary without declaring war on the Vietnamese.

The ramifications are pretty clear; with that power, LBJ was able to increase US intervention in Vietnam in any way he pleased. Obviously he could not accept defeat, so as the NLF/VC forces got stronger, he just increased US intervention.

Anyway, you get the point. There's more here;
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/VNtonkin.htm

Best of luck
wow..i didn't really need too much help with the gulf of tonkin incident but i went on that site you mentioned and had a look at the 'vietnam war'..that's a pretty damn good site..

much appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)