Guys,how do u study chem? (1 Viewer)

Mainoyi

HSC
I mean....
do u preview the topic before the class? or do exercises after class,
which exercise is good?

my teacher doesnt give us exercise.....- -

im wondering if i should drop chem,coz i did bad in yrly.
we have 2 classes, although i was the top in my class,
i onli ranked around 10 in the whole year...
the other class is reali good..sigh~~~~

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Just do heaps of past HSC questions... there's nothing better.

I ranked 8th...

But if you've just started year 12 (?) just revise the dot points you did in that lesson.

Write out the dot point in a new folder dedicated specifically to dot points and write a summary about it, with what you learned...

tau281290

HSC
I just understand the stuff and cram before the exams. I don't think anyone can remember chemistry for more than a week. =D Don't take this advice if you want band 6 up.

I know ppl who write the same chemical equation over and over again every day just for a high band 6. Kind of wasting time and freaky.

Last edited:

Mainoyi

HSC
tau281290 said:
I know ppl who write the same chemical equation over and over again every day just for a high band 6. Kind of wasting time and freaky.
haha...thats gay...
i wanna good mark,but i wont do that..

impervious182

HSC
I've written notes on the whole course and written all of the equations out. I have 5 days before the exam, I'll be revising over them and continuing to do past HSC paper questions and CSSA ones, as well as ones from a book I own.

Generally the equations are the 'must-haves' - the hardest part of the whole exam is remembering the experiments, the smallest of smallest details and every step... and knowing how to approach questions logically. Though admittedly they do seem to ask the same questions year after year.
  • Testing alkanes and alkenes
  • Saponification
  • Fermentation
  • Dehydration of ethanol
  • Hydration of ethene
  • Refluxing
  • Dehydration of glucose using sulfuric acid
  • Esterification
  • Galvanic cell
  • Heat of combustion of ethanol
  • Testing soaps
  • Modelling and equilibrium equation
  • And so on...
  • And so on, there are quite a few more...

sparkerasp

HSC
alexdore993 said:
I've written notes on the whole course and written all of the equations out. I have 5 days before the exam, I'll be revising over them and continuing to do past HSC paper questions and CSSA ones, as well as ones from a book I own.
We actually have around 2 weeks until HSC Chemistry, not 5 days.

But to study Chemistry is mainly do questions are very important. I remember for the year 12 half yearlys I studied only via the syllabus dot points and I lost marks because I didn't answer the questions properly.

You need to know what the question is asking and exactly what to put into your answer, so HSC past papers are a yes yes.

danz90

HSC
tau281290 said:
I just understand the stuff and cram before the exams. I don't think anyone can remember chemistry for more than a week. =D Don't take this advice if you want band 6 up.

lol i enjoyed learning hsc chem... hence everything stayed in my head throughout the year. i didn't really forget anything... its all embedded up there.

that's why im syked for the chem exam on nov 6th.

gonutsmate

HSC
Focus on getting the longer questions right. Get them done perfectly and early and out of the way.
They never change them so its all good.
Then you can just focus on understanding the fundamentals and fine tuning your answers over the course of the year.
You cant bludge for chem but i reckon year 12 is alot easier than year 11.
So just work hard and consistently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)