Haber Q (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Do we need to know the sources of the reactants (N and H) in the Haber process? My chem tutor has underlined all this stuff about it in my textbook however I can't find a dot point that corresponds to this in the syllabus.... so do I need to know this?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yeah I think you do.

Hydrogen from water and nitrogen from the atmosphere.

Pretty easy to remember though.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Damn I posted this in the wrong board, it should be in chemistry!!! I wasn't concentrating!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Yeah I think you do.

Hydrogen from water and nitrogen from the atmosphere.

Pretty easy to remember though.
i have hydrogen from reacting steam with (... damn) in presence of a nickel catalyst. is that the same?

Dave85

HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Damn I posted this in the wrong board, it should be in chemistry!!! I wasn't concentrating!!
...u did post it in chem u goose. i didnt realise we had 2 know the sources.im sure there's no dt point relating 2 it

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by iambored
i have hydrogen from reacting steam with (... damn) in presence of a nickel catalyst. is that the same?
yea its CH4 + H2O --> CO + 3H2 in the presence of nickel catayst as getting them from water by electrolysis is too expensive

but i don't think they allow to ask a question that require a detailed answer because the syllabus just says identify H2 and N to produce ammonia

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Dave85
...u did post it in chem u goose. i didnt realise we had 2 know the sources.im sure there's no dt point relating 2 it
nah i think it was moved, it was in hsc advice line this arvo

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
yea its CH4 + H2O --> CO + 3H2 in the presence of nickel catayst as getting them from water by electrolysis is too expensive

but i don't think they allow to ask a question that require a detailed answer because the syllabus just says identify H2 and N to produce ammonia
thanks

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
we dont' have to know it do we??? or have i been totally duped??!?! the dot point was taken out this year? or last year...

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
we dont' have to know it do we??? or have i been totally duped??!?! the dot point was taken out this year? or last year...
no, there was no dop point taken out on it last or this year.

some text books just have it because its needed for the Haber process.

but if you examine the syllabus, we don't even need to know the Haber process... only need to apply le chatelier's principle to the reaction and the history of Haber himself

loser

scene police
The source of Nitrogen is not the atmosphere as it was so crudely put. Nitrogen is infact extracted from liquid air. More precise answers are better than vague recollections.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by loser
The source of Nitrogen is not the atmosphere as it was so crudely put. Nitrogen is infact extracted from liquid air. More precise answers are better than vague recollections.
yea but technically the source of N2 is still the atmosphere, since thats where the liquefied air is collected from ;)

but i get what you mean, precise is better

another common process used to extract N2, is the combustion of O2 in air

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Part of a dot point on the prac side:
analyse info from secondary sources to summarise the industrial origins of the above gases..
and the gases are nitrogen and hydrogen

so i think we do have to know it

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
Part of a dot point on the prac side:
analyse info from secondary sources to summarise the industrial origins of the above gases..
and the gases are nitrogen and hydrogen

so i think we do have to know it
huh?? is there a dot pt says that?? the only prac side dot pt that i c:

"gather and process info from secondary sources to describe the conditions under which haber developed the industrial synthesis of ammonia and evaluate its significance at that time in world history"

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
just checking the syllabus...

oki should have looked at the module before i guessed it was for here! it's for acidic environment, section 2. on the prac side. and the gases are carbon, nitrogen and sulfur, so it doesn't cover hydrogen

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ok, for get what i have said, it's for the oxides thing

Dangar

well i've done all my summaries now and i didn't come accrossany dot point requiring that! So either i missed something or... no i think im right. We don't need it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)