Hamlet... a little lost (1 Viewer)

Blushii

HSC
Hi guys, so the title says it all, im really confused for module B in regards to Hamlet...I need to submit a 'draft' essay tomorrow and still dont know where to start.

So far ive gathered module B is the need for:
the textual integrity
how the themes of the text transcend time,
a personal perspective on the text
a Critic's perspective or more

Is that right? The teacher has not gone through the module rubric/ requirements with us at all..and im trying to start but haven't a clue how to.

thanks!

lucyc19

HSC
OK - Module B. Where do we start, eh? Especially with Hamlet!
- what do you mean by textual integrity? You need an understanding of how the play functions on stage as a drama (i.e. it's not a book) - dramatic devices/techniques as well as literary ones
- themes transcending time is not so important either - it's not how/why they transcend, but rather just touch on (with Hamlet specifically) how his struggle epitomises the crawl between earth and heaven and the inevitable nature of life - imagery of the common man, etc.
- personal perspective, yes, but this should be reached through critical readings. Never name-drop critics - in HSC advanced you are neither expected nor wanted cite critics. Your arguments should stand in their own right due to textual evidence.

when you say 'trying to start'...

e.g. when i did the struggle and disillusionment question, I talked about the source of disillusionment, nature of the struggle - he is a superior character intellectually and morally and is faced with the failings of others, how the dramatic treatment of struggle engages audiences and ultimately, the struggle to do the right thing at the right time.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)