Hamlet R+GrD question... (1 Viewer)

sK...

HSC
N/A
Hi, can someone remind how, (if at all) Hamlets scene 3 soliloquay "To be or not to be..." relates to R+G????

(and in what way it reflects changed values...)

cheers

loza_87

HSC
sK... said:
Hi, can someone remind how, (if at all) Hamlets scene 3 soliloquay "To be or not to be..." relates to R+G????

(and in what way it reflects changed values...)

cheers
Unlike Hamlet's first two major soliloquies, the third and most famous speech seems to be governed by reason and not frenzied emotion. Unable to do little but wait for completion of his plan to "catch the conscience of the king", Hamlet sparks an internal philosophical debate on the advantages and disadvantages of existence, and whether it is one's right to end his or her own life....Hamlet asks the question for all dejected souls -- is it nobler to live miserably or to end one's sorrows with a single stroke? He knows that the answer would be undoubtedly "yes" if death were like a dreamless sleep. The "rub" or obstacle Hamlet faces is the fear of "what dreams may come" (74), i.e. the "dread of something after death" (86). Hamlet is well aware that suicide is condemned by the church as a mortal sin.
(http://shakespeare.about.com/library/weekly/aa061500c.htm)

hopefully that will make sum sense 2 u because its a good explanation of what he is talking about in the soliloquoy. the basic answer 2 ur question would be that hamlet is contemplating death, he is discussing the choice he has to either live or die, and that the very strong religious values of the time condemed suicide. The ideas in R&G challenge this notion, in r&g they have no choices,their lives are pre-destined, religious beliefs have no power in their context and death is not something that was considered to be such a philosophical issue, therefore was not taken as seriously in R&G as in Hamlet.

hope that makes sense

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Nice info there Loza, great work!

loza_87 said:
death is not something that was considered to be such a philosophical issue, therefore was not taken as seriously in R&G as in Hamlet.
yep, just to back up ur statements with quotations, as we all know how much markers love quotes!

Death in R and G is portrayed as being rather insginificant "death is someone failing to reappear"

Although Ros an Guil often do question the concept (if ud like to call it a 'concept') of death, for example "have u ever thought of yourself lying in a box, with a lid on it" (sorry, this quote is not 100% accurate my memroy is a little *cough,cough* at the moment)

"SK...".. yes! , changes in value...

Well basically this can be seen through the use of language. Hamlet's soliloques are philosphical (as seen in the "to be or not to be" speech) and in the following quote "there's a divinity that shapes our end", take note that this quote also indicates the christian values of the Elizabethans.

In RAGAD (Ros and Guil r dead) on the other hand, they both use colloquial exchanges in their conversations for example:

Ros: what's your name?
Guil: What's yours
Ros: I asked first
Guil: Statement, one love!
Ros: What's your name when your at home?
Guil:What's yours?
Ros:When I'm at home?

loza_87 said:
in r&g they have no choices,their lives are pre-destined
Yes, and they also accept this fact

"We are little men, we don't know the ins and outs of the matter", ur statement is backed up by something Tom Stoppard is reported to have said in an interview
"The little they are told is mainly lies, and they never even find out why they were killed"

nywas, enough rambling from me, Good luck for thursday!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)