hamlet (1 Viewer)

shantu1992

HSC
heeyyyy guuuuuuuuuuuys and girls
we are due to start hamlet next term
and yeahh its under the module critical studies of texts as you all know
anyways i was wondering if anyone knew what we specifically look throught under this module
like themes, language orr what?

thankks

bored of sc

HSC
Syllabus is your bible. Check it out at the Board of Studies website.

Personal engagement/interpretation is essential in this module i.e. get your own meaning from the text i.e. sparknotes is not effective.

shantu1992

HSC
bored of sc said:
Syllabus is your bible. Check it out at the Board of Studies website.

Personal engagement/interpretation is essential in this module i.e. get your own meaning from the text i.e. sparknotes is not effective.
thanks mate

jennieTalia

HSC
CRITICAL study :)
As in looking at it from a critical viewpoint-
Textual integrity, themes, characters, structure etc are all looked at.
Techniques, of course.
Personal viewpoint (you are often asked for your opinion and for this reason it is good to see a few productions/ watch the films)
Readings

bored of sc

HSC
What are the Syllabus Outcomes For This Module?

Quote:
This module requires students to engage with and develop an informed personal understanding of their prescribed text. Through critical analysis and evaluation of its language, content and construction, students will develop an appreciation of the textual integrity of their prescribed text. They refine their own understanding and interpretations of the prescribed text and critically consider these in the light of the perspectives of others. Students explore how context influences their own and others’ responses to the text and how the text has been received and valued. (Reread English Stage 6 Syllabus, p 52.)
Source: Board of Studies: Annotations of texts prescribed for the first time — HSC 2009–2012

Quote:
This module requires students to explore and evaluate a specific text and its reception in a range of contexts. It develops students’ understanding of questions of textual integrity.

Each elective in this module requires close study of a single text to be chosen from a list of prescribed texts.

Students explore the ideas expressed in the text through analysing its construction, content and language. They examine how particular features of the text contribute to textual integrity. They research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text. Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts. They extrapolate from this study of a particular text to explore questions of textual integrity and significance.

Students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to the study of their specific text. These compositions may be realised in a variety of forms and media.
Source: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...glish Syllabus

insideout

HSC
Oh thank god i am not the only one doing hamlet... we started doing it this week... already im MUCH less confused lol

Last edited:

Tastegud

HSC
It's just about your understanding of the text.
So make up your mind on what it's about and spill it out.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
I think my school's doing Hamlet in Term 2, most of the classes are at least.

If it's a "critical" study, does that mean we are not meant to say how great it is (like we are with BR/Frank.) but critique it, and highlight its flaws? Or am I just overthinking this?

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
I think my school's doing Hamlet in Term 2, most of the classes are at least.

If it's a "critical" study, does that mean we are not meant to say how great it is (like we are with BR/Frank.) but critique it, and highlight its flaws? Or am I just overthinking this?
Yes you are overthinking this:p Just relax.

I found this module the easiest out of the three. Yes, as stated above make sure you know the rubric like the back of your hand!!! Without it simply means a FAIL!!

Since the module is "critical study" it means that students must think on a critical and sophisticated level. In this module the texts studied have played a significant role in Literature and therefore, i don't think you have the right to "critique" or point out the "flaws" of Shakespeare's work - i don't think any one can so don't even go there. :hammer:

As for the module itself; make sure reference is made to textual integrity, themes, characters etc. Imperatively, do not forget to have your own viewpoint within your essay (this module stresses the need for student responses!) and also try to incorporate various readings from other critics to validate or refute your ideas.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Yes you are overthinking this:p Just relax.

I found this module the easiest out of the three. Yes, as stated above make sure you know the rubric like the back of your hand!!! Without it simply means a FAIL!!

Since the module is "critical study" it means that students must think on a critical and sophisticated level. In this module the texts studied have played a significant role in Literature and therefore, i don't think you have the right to "critique" or point out the "flaws" of Shakespeare's work - i don't think any one can so don't even go there. :hammer:

As for the module itself; make sure reference is made to textual integrity, themes, characters etc. Imperatively, do not forget to have your own viewpoint within your essay (this module stresses the need for student responses!) and also try to incorporate various readings from other critics to validate or refute your ideas.
haha, my comment sounded pretty bad - I wasn't actually thinking I would point out the flaws of Hamlet. It just sounds like a fancy name for a pretty standard Module, right?

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
haha, my comment sounded pretty bad - I wasn't actually thinking I would point out the flaws of Hamlet. It just sounds like a fancy name for a pretty standard Module, right?
Exactly, it achieves its' aim to scare students, but it's nothing more than a simple module requiring student analysis. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)