handwriting or typing notes? (1 Viewer)

sp1ke

HSC
so which method do you prefer and find more effective in making notes, handwriting or typing ?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Again, it depends on the person. Imo I recommend writing because I remember things easier that way but it's different for everyone.

People should stop making threads like this; this is like the tenth time someone has put forward a question like this.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
+1, My thoughts exactly.
+ 2, Do whatever you feel most comfortable with, everyone has their own tastes. Making a thread is still not going to solve anything as they are other peoples' preferences. Me, I prefer hybrid, so I do a bit of both.

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
+ 2, Do whatever you feel most comfortable with, everyone has their own tastes. Making a forum is still not going to solve anything as they are other peoples' preferences. Me, I prefer hybrid, so I do a bit of both.
+3 xD
depends on me though I just tend to like it if it's neat :L

ammyyy

HSC
Typing. Reasons:

-More legible, especially when tired
-Easy to edit (yet in my case wasted a lot of paper)
-Typing up class notes excellent in maximising retention
-Found system much neater
-Much easier to organise

I typed up class notes at the end of each day, having a file for each specific dot point. When studying, first I went over typed notes highlighting most important parts, then just skimmed over them multiple times as well as sometimes rewriting paragraphs/essays to memorise things.
However, each to their own opinion.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
oh and btw, you can't type maths, unless your a person that makes notes about every little thing (which is kinda bad studying method).

decadentDee

HSC
I'd type the notes, for the sake of saving time, really. I wouldn't waste an extra few hours by handwriting everything.

During my HSC, I both handwrote and typed my notes and looking back on it, I wish I'd saved more time by typing everything.

I found that in content-thriving subjects like Legal Studies and Biology, of which requires you to memorise a lot of information (and thus, lots of notes), I basically wrote and wrote until my hand felt like it was about to fall off, or until I felt like my brain had been reduced to a milkshake and the information I wrote on the notes became short, badly summarised and terrible.

So yeah, probably type your notes.

tjhunt11

HSC
write out my notes during the week, then on the weekends i type the written notes up and do something awesome with them so i dont lose the notes :) oh and there so much easier to read.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
I too feel that typing notes is far more convenient because it allows you to cut/copy/paste things around and is also much faster to achieve than handwriting notes. However, I used a combination of both methods (writing and typing) during my HSC, particularly for a subject like economics where I typed up my notes primarily but then as new statistics came through and new information arose (given the ever-changing nature of the subject) I would amend my notes by making handwritten insertions. I think this was very effective. I used a similar system for Business Studies too. I don't think you should rely TOO much on typing though because after all, your HSC exams will in most cases be handwritten and you need to make sure you keep up your handwriting speed and legibility.

Hope this helps!

jasmint

HSC
Handwriting -- you can structure information exactly the way you want it, typing is less flexible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)