Handwriting (1 Viewer)

Jezzi

HSC
Malfoy said:
1. I use a computer to type my exams because I have a disability. It's hardly cheating.
2. Having a scribe would disadvantage you overall - firstly thinking aloud in essay format can be difficult, secondly it's actually slower than writing things yourself.

You're rather ignorant.

1. I'd hardly call having bad handwriting a disability. That's just exploiting those who do have a genuine disability, like yourself. Don't you think?

2. Scribes are used all the time. I remember when I was doing my HSC a few people had them. Some people have disability transferring thoughts into words for example, quite the opposite to your example. Also, anyone with physical disabilities to their hands might need them.

In regards to my comment about cheating, I'm not sure what type of programs are used for typing up the exams (I'm assuming one's like word etc). If one like this is used people can use the theasurus, check their spelling and grammar etc. As I said before people can generally type much faster than they can write, along with the other advantages typing has over writing. Therefore, having bad handwriting does not mean you can't type 50 words a minute (even though Harry Flashman says he doesent, it does not necessarily apply to everone else), or any less smarter than anyone else doing the exam.

I'm not saying that computers/laptops should not be used for people with disabilities, but for genuine disabilities. Not becuase you have shitty handwriting, or if your hand gets too sore (who's hand doesen't?).

But as everyone's said, go see you learning skills department at your uni. They can offer services like essay writing and exam skills. I'm sure they can help you with your handwriting and offer you advice.

historykidd

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I don't think anyone should lecture you about these things at this stage of your life, but you should really work on it.

I 'naturally' have terrible handwriting which only I seem to be able to read, although I can write very quickly. When I do exams, write notes to people, etc, I have to write reasonably slowly and carefully. It's unfortunate, but you just have to deal with it.

I actually know of someone who has the exact same problem as you, and also goes to USyd. I know that he found a solution, so if you have problems, let me know and I'll get him to contact you.
Thanks but its alright, i'd rather not go through all the processes. I'll just have to write slowly and carefully also.

Evilo

HSC
Jezzi said:
1. I'd hardly call having bad handwriting a disability. That's just exploiting those who do have a genuine disability, like yourself. Don't you think?
If you had read the thread properly malfoy stated he had a wrist thing that made his hand continually shake and was painful. However i dont think malfoy read the thread properly too - having bad handwriting is not a disability, and this is why he got annoyed when i accused the system of being flawed.

Jezzi

HSC
@ aMUSED1977

1. And you know this how?

2. What do you mean relevent? I'm talking about the advantages having a computer would give the student, which supports my argument that I don't think universities should let a student with bad handwriting use a laptop. Just becuase the topic starter has bad handwriting does not mean he is shit at using a computer. Anyone can claim they have shitty handwriting.

3. You think bad handwriting is a disability? If you think that, I would love to know your definition of a genuine disability.

4. No, I see Malfoy's point. He says a scribe would make things slower, but that does not apply to everyone. I knew a girl in highschool who has a learning disability and has trouble transferring what she wants to say into writing. I've seen people use scribes in exams at uni. Why would the university employ them if the student was going to be disadvantages.
Anyway, I was only suggesting it as another alternative for the topic starter.

@Evilo. Yes, I saw what Malfoy wrote, and I see he has a genuine disability and would probably be allowed to use a computer for his exams, as he would probably have a doctors certificate to show for this. On the other hand bad handwriting is not a disability and its not something you could get a doctors certificate for.

X

xeuyrawp

Jezzi said:
3. You think bad handwriting is a disability? If you think that, I would love to know your definition of a genuine disability.
Do you think sneezing is a virus? Or are you confusing the symptoms of something with the something itself? :)

Poor handwriting can be a symptom of many genuine disabilities. It can also be a symptom of laziness, or simply the lack of proper training.

That being said, nothing in this thread indicates either way, so maybe stop being judgemental when you obviously haven't got all the facts.

HSC
Jezzi said:
2. What do you mean relevent? I'm talking about the advantages having a computer would give the student, which supports my argument that I don't think universities should let a student with bad handwriting use a laptop. Just becuase the topic starter has bad handwriting does not mean he is shit at using a computer. Anyone can claim they have shitty handwriting.

In this context it IS a disability. I, and most others who legitimately apply for special provisions due to handwriting, cannot get through an exam writing with my hand. After about ten to fifteen minutes the pain caused to my hand becomes physically unbearable, I'm not talking the average pain everyone experiences when trying to write an exam, I mean the kind of pain you experience when you get a major cramp. In addition, my handwriting is practically unreadable, and examiners are far too busy to spend hours poring over it, trying to understand what I'm saying.

You suggest scribes as an alternative, but I don't think you have any idea just how difficult trying to dictate several essays under exam conditions is, that really should be for people who cannot even type.

I have had a professional occupational therapist examine my handwriting over a series of sessions and come to the conclusion that my hand eye coordination is severly below average and cannot be improved. In order to get this kind of provision at uni you need a professional examination, so unless someone is very adept at fooling someone whose job it is to examine their ability to write, they're not going to get away with faking the condition.

In the end, I think that it is better to slightly advantage some students (and really it's not that great an advantage, you still have to know how to answer the questions and the extra 200-300 words some fast typers may be able to add to their answers aren't going to make a whole lot of difference)

Last edited:
HSC
Also, if you want to get technical the definition of disability is "A disadvantage or deficiency, especially a physical or mental impairment that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area", which an inability to write as well as your peers through no fault of your own fits perfectly within this

Evilo

HSC
Jezzi said:
On the other hand bad handwriting is not a disability and its not something you could get a doctors certificate for.
I totally agree (hence my long argument on this thread lol)

PwarYuex said:
That being said, nothing in this thread indicates either way, so maybe stop being judgemental when you obviously haven't got all the facts.
true, but if you were asking for help on this thread wouldn't you explain it better? i.e. "i've hurt my hand and my handwriting is horrible, what resources are available to help me at uni?"

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
NO MORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!a

Evilo

HSC
ari89 said:
NO MORE POSTING IN THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!a
oooo come and get me!

Jezzi

HSC
Harry Flashman said:
In this context it IS a disability. I, and most others who legitimately apply for special provisions due to handwriting, cannot get through an exam writing with my hand. After about ten to fifteen minutes the pain caused to my hand becomes physically unbearable, I'm not talking the average pain everyone experiences when trying to write an exam, I mean the kind of pain you experience when you get a major cramp. In addition, my handwriting is practically unreadable, and examiners are far too busy to spend hours poring over it, trying to understand what I'm saying.

You suggest scribes as an alternative, but I don't think you have any idea just how difficult trying to dictate several essays under exam conditions is, that really should be for people who cannot even type.

I have had a professional occupational therapist examine my handwriting over a series of sessions and come to the conclusion that my hand eye coordination is severly below average and cannot be improved. In order to get this kind of provision at uni you need a professional examination, so unless someone is very adept at fooling someone whose job it is to examine their ability to write, they're not going to get away with faking the condition.

In the end, I think that it is better to slightly advantage some students (and really it's not that great an advantage, you still have to know how to answer the questions and the extra 200-300 words some fast typers may be able to add to their answers aren't going to make a whole lot of difference)

You could have stated this in your initial post if you wanted any kind of accurate advice. The way I read you post is that you were just someone with shitty handwriting trying to get out the easy way. If I knew you had a genuine disability and was seeing a docotr/professional about it, it would be much easier to advise you to apply for special consideration for your exams by presenting a doctors certificate or to go see your learning skills unit.
Surely you would see my point if any idiot claimed they had shitty handwriting, would be exploiting those with genuine disabilties like yourself and Malfoy. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but surely you can see what I'm trying to say?

Also, there is no need to tell me the definition for disability. I have shitty handwriting to, but I don't have a physical or mental depairment or any other type of disadvantage. My hand gets sore too after 10-15 minutes of fast paces writing, but I deal with it becuase there is nothing wrong with me.

HSC
Jezzi said:
You could have stated this in your initial post if you wanted any kind of accurate advice. The way I read you post is that you were just someone with shitty handwriting trying to get out the easy way. If I knew you had a genuine disability and was seeing a docotr/professional about it, it would be much easier to advise you to apply for special consideration for your exams by presenting a doctors certificate or to go see your learning skills unit.
Surely you would see my point if any idiot claimed they had shitty handwriting, would be exploiting those with genuine disabilties like yourself and Malfoy. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but surely you can see what I'm trying to say?

Also, there is no need to tell me the definition for disability. I have shitty handwriting to, but I don't have a physical or mental depairment or any other type of disadvantage. My hand gets sore too after 10-15 minutes of fast paces writing, but I deal with it becuase there is nothing wrong with me.
I didn't make the original post, and yeah I get your point. I just wanted to clear up a misconception that everyone, or even most people, who apply for this are bludgers.

Jezzi

HSC
haha sorry my mistake, but becuase of that, we still have not found out whether the topic starter has a genuine disability, and that takes me back to where I started. Oh well

Wildberries

HSC
My handwriting is pretty bad too but during my first year of uni I found it improved over the year as I had to write so much to study though the year (I know bad handwriting is related to disabilities fo some people etc) but if it is a natural problem like me keep writing more and more notes and it could improve. . . but otherwise if you have a real problem with it I don't see why the university wouldn't help you during your exams. . . good luck everyone

Wildberries

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Said comment is 100% true for me as well. Even with my (dis)Ability, the more and more you write, the better it becomes over time.

@OP
I don't know what (dis)Ability you've got, but is it something that could be assisted by strengthening your hands? I mean...my muscles in my hands are shot, but with improved strength came less pain and less crap writing?

That said, I know it doesn't apply for all, just an idea if it does apply :)
Hey no I don't have a disability, my handwriting has always been pretty bad and come exam time the cramps really kick in, but I found doing some writing exercises for myself have helped me(write a short essay about anything when you feel like it in the holidays to train your hand, I know it seems funny but it could help), I figured my hand muscles might get stronger? and last longer in exams and long study periods it seems to be helping so far. . . this is for those who it may apply to btw

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
to summarise the thread

if your problem is simply that you naturally have awful/slow handwriting (but you don't have a disability or medical condition causing it) you get to deal with it and learn to write better/faster, which is entirely your own responsibility.

if you have a genuine problem that leaves you physically incapable of handwriting to the point where it will affect your exam performance and/or be painful and not worth the trouble, you get special provisions, which you must prove your need for with appropriate documentation.

people with the first problem need not be jealous of people with the second. special provisions are there to level the playing field, not give undue advantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)