Handwritten or printed-out notes? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
The notes you find online, do you write them down in an exercise book or print them?

notthistime

HSC
I prefer to write my notes because I find that it helps me retain more information. :)

HSC 2015

MilkyCat_

HSC
I write them in an exercise book and then highlight the key words/phrases as I find it easier to remember
but that's just my personal preference

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
there's honestly no hard and fast rule-- do whatever is easier for you and makes you feel comfortable. don't be afraid to mix and match, e.g. I used to handwrite for pdhpe but type for chemistry etc

whatever is:
- efficient
- nice for you to look at and gets you in the mood to study
- easy to memorise off
Well if I print out the notes, it's gonna use up alot of paper, alot of ink, and I gotta need a stapler that can staple so many papers or hole punching them. If I hand write the notes, it's gonna take up alot of my time. Not sure what to do...

HSC
Ok this is what I do,
I guess you're talking about internet notes from past hsc years. Usually it's in pdf or word form, so I go ahead and highlight the points I want to include in my handwritten notes
-syllabus points are printed and pasted on my A4 page, point at a time (why would I need to handwrite every single dot point?)
-I then handwrite out important info from class because I understand those more
-internet notes are transferred onto my paper to fill in the gaps
AND you do not need every single word down. Summarise and shorten, place in tables, diagrams etc because no one remembers one for word

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Ok this is what I do,
I guess you're talking about internet notes from past hsc years. Usually it's in pdf or word form, so I go ahead and highlight the points I want to include in my handwritten notes
-syllabus points are printed and pasted on my A4 page, point at a time (why would I need to handwrite every single dot point?)
-I then handwrite out important info from class because I understand those more
-internet notes are transferred onto my paper to fill in the gaps
AND you do not need every single word down. Summarise and shorten, place in tables, diagrams etc because no one remembers one for word
Yes I'm speaking internet notes from past HSC years. I have this OCD thing where if I write my own notes (I don't literally mean my own notes, I mean summarizing my teacher's notes and past HSC student notes) I always think that it might be wrong and contains the wrong information. How do I deal with this?

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
For my official copy of notes (that I refer to often) I would usually print them out. Digital notes are also very flexible and 'liquid text', meaning you can edit them as you like without making them messy as you might do on written notes :p you can also highlight words/phrases as desired. If I wanted to better remember and retain information though, I'd write it out.

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Yes I'm speaking internet notes from past HSC years. I have this OCD thing where if I write my own notes (I don't literally mean my own notes, I mean summarizing my teacher's notes and past HSC student notes) I always think that it might be wrong and contains the wrong information. How do I deal with this?
I don't really see how you could have the wrong information if you listen properly in class and know what you're doing :p
Nonetheless though, to ensure accuracy it's always beneficial to compare notes with classmates and other sources.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I don't really see how you could have the wrong information if you listen properly in class and know what you're doing :p
Nonetheless though, to ensure accuracy it's always beneficial to compare notes with classmates and other sources.
Well I'm wanting to make some Biology notes, and in my Biology class we basically write down what the teacher presents on the board so whether I'm listening or not it's not a problem.

HSC
I have been scared of being wrong for a very long time. However, as long as you have an answer that you can provide for that particular topic. Remember that not every person is going to have exactly the same answer as everyone else.
Ask yourself 'does this answer the question?', 'is this important enough to include?'
I'm sure if it is correct, you would see it more than in one place. If it's wording of an answer I usually pick the one I can remember and that I would be willing to write it as an answer or I will tweak it a bit
ALSO I'm usually scared that I would stuff up an answer and that I might need to start again. No keep the old notes, get a random piece of paper, write your new answer and sticky tape it over the old one you don't like. Similarly you can use post it notes

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Well I'm wanting to make some Biology notes, and in my Biology class we basically write down what the teacher presents on the board so whether I'm listening or not it's not a problem.
Well that's even better, isn't it? You're practically transferring the teacher's knowledge to your own notes and most likely the teacher is presenting correct information (hopefully). How would you be able to get the information wrong?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I have been scared of being wrong for a very long time. However, as long as you have an answer that you can provide for that particular topic. Remember that not every person is going to have exactly the same answer as everyone else.
Ask yourself 'does this answer the question?', 'is this important enough to include?'
I'm sure if it is correct, you would see it more than in one place. If it's wording of an answer I usually pick the one I can remember and that I would be willing to write it as an answer or I will tweak it a bit
ALSO I'm usually scared that I would stuff up an answer and that I might need to start again. No keep the old notes, get a random piece of paper, write your new answer and sticky tape it over the old one you don't like. Similarly you can use post it notes
When you say 'does this answer the question', do you mean does this answer the syllabus point?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Well that's even better, isn't it? You're practically transferring the teacher's knowledge to your own notes and most likely the teacher is presenting correct information (hopefully). How would you be able to get the information wrong?
I don't want to copy the teacher's notes word for word, I want to change it up abit so I'm able to remember it because it's in my own words, this is when I start to think whether my notes are wrong or not.

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
I don't want to copy the teacher's notes word for word, I want to change it up abit so I'm able to remember it because it's in my own words, this is when I start to think whether my notes are wrong or not.
Ah I see what you mean. What I would do is read through the notes and actually develop a thorough understanding rather than superficially remembering wording. Once you understand you can write your own definition and memorise it.

EDIT: Though I know it's sometimes hard to create a definition in your own wording that is necessarily different from the teacher's, in that case as long as you know you understand you can still use it.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Ah I see what you mean. What I would do is read through the notes and actually develop a thorough understanding rather than superficially remembering wording. Once you understand you can write your own definition and memorise it.

EDIT: Though I know it's sometimes hard to create a definition in your own wording that is necessarily different from the teacher's, in that case as long as you know you understand you can still use it.
Okay, I'll be doing that. The reason why I am posting about this topic is because I have an interest in creating my own notes, because I'm the one that's putting in the effort into creating them.

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Okay, I'll be doing that. The reason why I am posting about this topic is because I have an interest in creating my own notes, because I'm the one that's putting in the effort into creating them.
Are you talking about your original topic (as in handwritten or printed)? If it were me I would use digital notes for the majority of the term so I am able to easily keep adding new information, correcting information and basically just refining until a week or two prior to exams at which point I might go over my digital notes, perfect them and print them out. From there I would just test myself to see how well I am retaining the information and if necessary handwrite information I feel I am unsuccessfully trying to remember to better lodge it in my memory. I could do this digitally as well (would be faster too) but remember eventually you will be writing this information down in the test, not typing it.

The main reason I prefer digital notes is because they are very easily changeable and will not become messy were I to change or add something as opposed to handwritten notes. Also my handwriting isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)