Handy Hints for the School Certificate (1 Viewer)

Jumper :^)

HSC
bluedolphin said:
you need to know only one out of human rights and reconciliation
know the implications etc for one (our school is doing human rights)
if they ask something about the other one, it will be in the multiple choice

Good Luck ! *goes back to freaking out* i think i took sc too lightly -- my mum was saying ... i of course didnt listen
Haha thanks and good luck :)

HSC
Hey thanks for this... I'm doing my SC this year, but I'm not too stressed out about it, though I do want a good mark

Cheers

bored of sc

HSC
Hey thanks for this... I'm doing my SC this year, but I'm not too stressed out about it, though I do want a good mark

Cheers
No worries. Good luck and be cool about it all; I'm sure you'll perform swimmingly well.

BiancaMaree

HSC
Thanks for this :) im doing my sc this year. Kinda stressing, already. even though im goin on i just wanna go really well. i dont think i will hav to much trouble in english n maths, computers definatly no, as ive done a past paper n got 98 % haha but science n hsie are my problems. Will definatly read these when it gets closer :) thanks gain

angels2

HSC
Thanks alot for the help ! The teachers are marking real hard this year, I'm not sure why. I mean I thought I did good for my creative writing task but I got a very low mark. Anyways, thanks alot. :)

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
Thanks alot for the help ! The teachers are marking real hard this year, I'm not sure why. I mean I thought I did good for my creative writing task but I got a very low mark. Anyways, thanks alot. :)
Teachers want you to reach perfection, or get really close. Just play by the system i.e. what they want of you and you can't do wrong. Keep working. It'll be worth it. I was the same as you in year 10, always thinking I hadn't done enough but in the end I went well. :) So start with the finish in sight.

allira92

HSC
the markin takes a bit of time to get used to, teachers are marking hard cause they're marking according to the bos criteria more than they used to.

its the same in yr 11 an 12 aswell

studentcheese

HSC
+ 1 to above thread.

Work will be marked even harder in Year 11 and Year 12. The purpose is to get students used to hard marking so that:

1) Hard marking will not be new in Year11 + Year 12
2) Students learn to use the marking criteria to maximise marks

bwwwiieee

HSC
Hey, uhm i'm sorta new to this whole "bored of studies" thing so if someone wouldn't mind.. uhm.. showing me around? lol

thanks.

btw. that blog really helped.

pman

Banned
HSC
Most useful hint i can give: If yr going to do yr 12, it counts for nothing in the end so don't stress about it.

hassanelias

HSC
Here's a tip: Don't worry about it, unless you are going to drop out before the HSC.
Hahahaha, your so right man, dont really worry about the SC unless your going to drop out. I find it funny because its actually true.Nice one :D

Edw1n

HSC
Thankz Mr Obvious! :tongue: Jokes
Thankz 4 the advice... do u hav any advice 4 religion?

Religion is compulsory at our skool :burn:

I owe u 1!!! :sun:

codeberry

HSC
Don't study hard. Study smart. This is an advice from my teacher.
There's no point in continually going over all your notes or spending too much time studying if you don't understand it, don't know the skills or if they're not going to be tested anyway.

Go over past papers and see what they test you in. Don't waste your time on studying every single thing the teachers give you -- especially Science because from what I can see only some of the questions are based on knowledge.
The rest are skills so you better practice on that more than studying (though there are some skills there that require at least a bit of background knowledge so don't completely abandon studying either).

Summaries are <3. Go into details later on once you're sure you know the basic gist of it and if you have enough time. This is useful for cramming because once you get the basic idea of it, if you didn't have enough time to study, you can at least guess the details from your little background knowledge.

Do multiple choice last. You can always guess and have a 25% chance of getting something right even if you don't finish the question and just guess unlike if you miss out on the responses part.
Also -- only as a last resort -- if you're still not finished with multiple choice and there's no time to read, just pick one letter and choose that for ALL the remaining q's. If you pick randomly, there's a chance that you'll get all of them wrong. If you pick only one continually, you'll be able to get at least one of them right...probably unless you only have a few q's left.

Also, don't stress too much about it. Year 10 is more of a practice in formal exams for HSC if you're going to Year 12, or so I've been told.
SC isn't that bad -- it will only be bad once you start thinking it is, so relax and make the most out of your last years before being a senior (if you're planning on continuing) because this will probably be our last chance to laze around. :haha:

coughi'mtryingtosoundsmartcough

shufti

HSC
No one has the right to say the school certificate is easy. Raw marks are aligned significantly upwards. If we really saw what percentages we were truly getting we'd be quite shocked.

I.e. 80% might appear on your school certificate but in reality the mark could be as low as 65% <--- purely fictional example of course.

i don't understand this concept of "raw mark" , etc, can someone plz explain...

stylishmartin

HSC
The best tip is to take a deep breath and relax. Also, study the core concepts of your subjects rather than the more ambiguous. The SC questions (and even HSC, to some extent) are quite generic due to it being a state-wide paper. The questions will require basic answers - giving you ample room to *pump* up your marks by the extra information you may wish to employ. I guarantee you'll come out of the testing hall saying it was 'so easy'. Good luck boys and girls!

silence--

HSC
i don't understand this concept of "raw mark" , etc, can someone plz explain...
the raw mark is your real mark, i.e. if you answered 65 questions correctly you get a mark of 65.

what you really get on your final report or w/e is an alligned mark that changes depending on how the rest of the state forms. so your 65 could become an 80.

shufti

HSC
the raw mark is your real mark, i.e. if you answered 65 questions correctly you get a mark of 65.

what you really get on your final report or w/e is an alligned mark that changes depending on how the rest of the state forms. so your 65 could become an 80.

from a 65 to 80??!!

can u really gain 15 marks from how the state performs??

bored of sc

HSC
from a 65 to 80??!!

can u really gain 15 marks from how the state performs??
It's more to do with standards. Performance bands correspond to what students can do i.e. knowledge and skills. If the Board decides that say a mark of 80% on the test is enough to fulfill the criteria for the top performance band i.e. 90+ then they will adjust all the students marks upwards accordingly. In other words, the mark the Board gives you (aligned mark) may not neccesarily be the mark you actually received on the exam (raw mark).

You should have a read of some of the threads about the aligning/moderating process. My explanation is a bit dodgy.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...ficate/159244/sc-marking-results-process.html --- particularly the posts by 'cem'.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)