Happiness (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Personally I prefer the Greek concept of eudaimonia to happiness. Eudaimonia may be viewed as 'human flourishing' in a broad sense which takes into account experiences of joy, moral virtue, health, art/beauty and so forth. Hedonism has its merits, and it is certainly a very seductive philosophy, but I feel that it misses out on some core dimensions of human well-being (for my purposes at least).

(1) Should the government design policy in the pursuit of higher levels of social happiness?

Yes, certainly. Note that if we allow for policy which dictates governmental absence even those with an anarchic streak may endorse such a principle.

(2) If people are making decisions for themselves that, on average, will result in suboptimal levels of happiness, should the government intervene?

Perhaps - it depends very much on the case and the conception of happiness being used.

(3) Is happiness the only intrinsically valuable good?

Not when construed in narrow terms - see above on eudaimonia.

(4) Is happiness an emotional state, a deliberative judgement about the state of one's life, a combination of both, or other.

Happiness is also a way of life (of Being).

(5) If it turned out that religious belief was positively correlated with happiness, would you become religious?

No, and I can think of at least two good reasons. Firstly, even if religious belief has a positive correlation with happiness it won't be the only thing which is so correlated. Much of my pleasure comes from intellectual pursuits (philosophy, etc) which, for me, are incompatible with naive religious belief. Further, I expect that the correlation would be on account of certain features of religious belief / the religious life rather than religious belief per se, e.g. belief in the transcendent or a sense of community. Many such things can be brought into one's life without recourse to religious belief.

BradCube

HSC
No, and I can think of at least two good reasons. Firstly, even if religious belief has a positive correlation with happiness it won't be the only thing which is so correlated. Much of my pleasure comes from intellectual pursuits (philosophy, etc) which, for me, are incompatible with naive religious belief.
That is quite a bold statement Kfunk! What do you make of all philosophers of religion that hold a religious belief then? Should their love of philosophy also be incompatible with their "naive" religious belief?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
That is quite a bold statement Kfunk! What do you make of all philosophers of religion that hold a religious belief then? Should their love of philosophy also be incompatible with their "naive" religious belief?
Yes. They spend much of their lives trying to reconcile their belief in religion with their own cognitive dissonance. I applaud how long some of them can last (i.e. all their lives) in their efforts at conscious self-delusion (as compared with the more subconscious self-delusion of the typical worshipper).

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
-Should the government design policy in the pursuit of higher levels of social happiness?
If it can, then i dont see why not.

-If people are making decisions for themselves that, on average, will result in suboptimal levels of happiness, should the government intervene?

No, because they wouldnt really know "how happy" individuals may be. I also dont think that they would be able to intervene equally for every single individual's decisions.

-Is happiness the only intrinsically valuable good?

Its a valuable good i agree, but not the only one.

-Is happiness an emotional state, a deliberative judgement about the state of one's life, a combination of both, or other.

I was doing a research report yesterday, and i came across a passage about Happiness in one of the textbooks. I didnt go through the thread, but i was like "lol, im gona stick this into the happiness thread on bos" :eek:

Anyways,

Happiness is the emotion of cooporation and goals being achieved. When a person is happy, the signal is that there is no need for a large change in the current plan or interactions. Happiness can create access to the positive material in memory.

-If it turned out that religious belief was positively correlated with happiness, would you become religious?

I might embrace certain aspects/elements of it that will make me happy.

HSC
Personally I prefer the Greek concept of eudaimonia to happiness. Eudaimonia may be viewed as 'human flourishing' in a broad sense which takes into account experiences of joy, moral virtue, health, art/beauty and so forth. Hedonism has its merits, and it is certainly a very seductive philosophy, but I feel that it misses out on some core dimensions of human well-being (for my purposes at least).
From memory, the eudaimonic conception of happiness is often criticised for involving a degree ot prescriptionisn - "to have a good life you must do a, b and c. If you do not do these things, it doesn't matter whether you believe you have a good life or not - you just don't." I'm wondering what you think about this, given that I'm sure most members on the board would take a more liberal approach and say that what a good life amounts to should be determined by each individual.

Edit: Wow. The quality of my contributions to NCAP has really declined. :(

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
But would say that this is, in fact, not happiness at all, but rather a perversion of happiness?

If yes, what would a more authentic idea of happiness would involve?
Just to put it short, happiness should have no definite shape or form.
Freedom and happiness are two wonderful things, both should be shared and not come at a cost.
(Israel stole freedom)

(he inappropriately asked the troll).

HSC
-Should the government design policy in the pursuit of higher levels of social happiness?
it depends on the specific actions. im not will to write an essay on this question.

-If people are making decisions for themselves that, on average, will result in suboptimal levels of happiness, should the government intervene?
depends on their maturity and the ability to forsee the consequences. children need protection, adults don't.

no, you are as well. but seriously, its a stupid question.

-Is happiness an emotional state, a deliberative judgement about the state of one's life, a combination of both, or other.
it is a byproduct of experience.

-If it turned out that religious belief was positively correlated with happiness, would you become religious?
no.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
From memory, the eudaimonic conception of happiness is often criticised for involving a degree ot prescriptionisn - "to have a good life you must do a, b and c. If you do not do these things, it doesn't matter whether you believe you have a good life or not - you just don't." I'm wondering what you think about this, given that I'm sure most members on the board would take a more liberal approach and say that what a good life amounts to should be determined by each individual.
People can determine their own version of the Good, Beautiful, and so on, within limits (noting certain biological constraints on health and psychological tendencies).

Nonetheless, I think that there are core dimensions to our respective life words - social, aesthetic, moral - within which we have room to construct personal meaning and happiness. What I like about the concept of eudaimonia is its holistic tendency to construe well-being in terms of an artful balance between such various dimensions of our lives.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
No, it depends on the nature of their religious beliefs and of the philosophy that they endorse (hence the qualifer 'for me'). In my case it is simply a mismatch - the two will not gel together. Note also that I was using 'naive' in the way you might talk about naive set theory (i.e. prior to full explication or reflection).

Certainly I feel that it is difficult to maintain a belief in god within an analytic framework and for the most part I find logical/empirical attempts at proving the existence of God to be weak/uninspired. More recently I have come across more interesting, but incredibly abstruse, approaches to god in some continental figures like Heidegger and Levinas.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
According to a person who was once my best friend for over 10 years, happiness is all about being 'better than one's neighbour.' I think it was his way of trying to sound poetic since using the word one is how 'one' flaunts his English. He should probably have used 'thy' though. Anyway, I think he means he wants to be richer, more powerful than everyone he knows so he can shat on all our faces to prove how good he is. That would make him happy.

He asked me whether I was motivated by that. I thought briefly about it and said no not really. I think happiness is all about achieving nirvina and becomming like Buddha or Jesus or Allah. Or even Shiva.

quik.

HSC
I think the government should simply create a societal framework that allows people the opportunity to do what they want to do, whether it be recreational, career orientated, cultural. I don't think it is the governments job to influence or push people in a given direction, merely provide them with the ability to do such and such

No, people need to be responsible for themselves.

I think happiness being a combination of many things makes it a fairly robust as something that can be seen as an overarching goal.

Combination of both

Haha no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)