Hard-Drive vs Flash (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey guys

I'm currently using an iPod 512mb shuffle (which i got off my younger brother for $50) and has been great to use. However, I want to get a bigger device to fit more songs on there.

My first choice is choosing between a hard-drive player and a flash player. I do a fair bit of running (real running and treadmill) and working out. I've heard hard-drive players tend to skip if shaken too much and cause a bit of damage over time. I've also heard that the battery life on a hard drive player looses its playback hours faster than flash players.

I've seen the toshiba gigabeat 20g down at dick smith for like $270 and seems like a good price for a 20g player but i dunno if it would satisfy my needs (as mentioned above).

I dont have 20g of music, but i have a few gig. what do you guys recommend?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes, if you do move around, I'd tend to suggest not to get a hard-drive player, since it will eventually contribute to the degradation of the internal hardware. Having said that, Im pretty sure they're built to minimise that almost completely, but since most sessions would easily last with a 1gb mp3 player, I fail to see the reason to risk it.

Go for the flash drive! :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
euskadi_warrior said:
...I've also heard that the battery life on a hard drive player looses its playback hours faster than flash players...
That takes like, two years. By then you will want a new portable music device anyway.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
you have a few gig but you don't listen to them all. its a nice thought to have all your music with you, but a good indication is to rank itunes/windows media player/whatever by play count and put the the first few gigs with the highest number of listens on you flash drive.

I vote flash drive for you my lil sport.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, that doesn't work for me :( Since random is always on, its all on like 10x at least haha

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
AsyLum said:
Haha, that doesn't work for me :( Since random is always on, its all on like 10x at least haha
oooh you're one of thooose people.

I'm severely selective of what to play next...*blush*

always in the mood for a particular type of song.

HSC
but i dont just wanna use it for workouts, might wanna take it to skool as well and may wanna choose songs..

during workouts i like to have it on random, but when im bored on the bus, i guess i like to scroll through (which i realli cant do on a shuffle)

anyways, seems the flash is the way to go...but which one???

iamsickofyear12

HSC
It probably takes 28 - 30 songs to get to uni and back so I put 40 that I actually want to listen to on my ipod so I have some room to skip some of them. If I had my whole library on there I'd spend the whole time skipping songs I didn't want to listen to.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
oooh you're one of thooose people.

I'm severely selective of what to play next...*blush*

always in the mood for a particular type of song.
Haha, no no, I've already got the list selected, so its all good for me :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)