Hard Question (1 Viewer)

jjj

Can someone please help with this question:

Solve graphically sin2x=1/2x for the domain 0<=x<=2(pie)

I understand you graph y=sin2x and y=1/2x on the same graph but how do you find pt. of intersection (i.e. sin2x=1/2x)?
Thanks

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Are you sure that you've been asked to find the solutions, and not simply to determine how many there are?

I can see that you could approximate the solutions (by Newton's method), but I don't see any easy way to actually solve that equation.

Faera

First off, you've got to have your graphs roughly to scale.
You need to be able to draw it pretty accurately.

That looks like one of the questions from the 2u Fitzpatrick book- exercise 17e, Q1-

If you take a look at the usual examples on page 393, you'll see that when they graphed it, by observation, they obtained a very rough estimate.

(Drop a perpendicular down from the point of intersection and by observation, guess where it lands, pretty much!)

From that, you just need to use your calculator to come up with a more precise answer.

Pretty dodgy way to do it, actually, but that's the way my school was taught to do it, but it works pretty well when youve got an accurate graph.

I don't think you'll be asked to do anything like that in an exam, so don't worry about it too much.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The method described by Faera is just another way of approximating the solutions - it still doesn't actually solve the equation.

Faera

That's true... hmm.... I've got tutoring in 20 mins... I'll ask him if he knows how to do it.

jjj

thAnks guys but im still lost
it was an HSC syllabus question

Faera

Well, in the HSC syllabus they ask us to approximate values graphically.

Do you have the 2u fitzpatrick book?

Faera

1. draw y = sin2x

2. draw y = x/2 on the same set of axes- (Important- it MUST be to scale).

3. You will observe 2 points of intersection if you drew it correctly- one at (0,0), and one between x = 0 and x = pi/2.

4. At the 2nd point of intersection, draw a line down from the point to the x axis such that the line is perpendicular to the x axis.

5. Estimate where that line cuts the x axis.

6. Use your calculator to check that point for its two values; that is:
y1 = (X/2)
y2 = sin2X

You're trying to find a point where y1 and y2 are the same.
Keep on subbing in values, from around the area that you think the approximate solution lies in.

Try to get as close as possible.

jjj

ok great thanks for your help. are you sure you dont need to solve simultaneously???/\

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jjj
Can someone please help with this question:

Solve graphically sin2x=1/2x for the domain 0<=x<=2(pie)
Just to clarify, by 1/2x, do you mean (1 / 2) * x, ie x / 2, as Faera has used, or do you mean 1 / (2 * x),
ie (2x)^-1? If it's the first one, Faera's method will work, if it's the second, then the second graph needs to be the hyperbola y = 1 / (2x), not the line y = x / 2.
Originally posted by jjj
ok great thanks for your help. are you sure you dont need to solve simultaneously???/\
That was the point of my first post - to find the solutions you need to solve simultaneously - and I don't see a way to do that in this case. To determine how many solutions there are, or to approximate the solutions, you can use the graph, or a number of other approximation methods, like Newton's method.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)