HARD question (1 Viewer)

minstrel

HSC
'Criminal penalties always reflect community standards and expectations'
Evaluate this statement

What are some examples that can be used for and against this statement?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
One thing that would be important to note is that it is unlikely that every single law passed will reflect community standards and expectations, because governments are often voted for based on the issues people find most important even if they disagree with other parts of the government's policy.

roadcone

HSC
a few areas to look into i guess would be: - [there are a lot more, these are what i could think of off the top of my head]

* it is impossible to have a law that reflects the values, morals etc of every member of the community
* the balance between the rights afforded to the accused vs those that the victims have (looking into victims comp acts)
* concept that punishments/penalties are designed to fit in with the purposes of punishment - not always what society thinks is right

there is a heap of content within this question. my suggestion is grab a syllabus and highlight everything you think is relevant to the question and attack it that way.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
This isn't too hard
just try and nail the question.
things u want to talk about:
1. community standards and expectations-this is part of the syllabus under morality ethics and commitment to the law
2. penalties-the various penalties from the syllabus e.g. fine, bond, community service order and imprisonment
3. evaluate the effectiveness of the penatlies and how they reflect community standards and expectations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)